Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Count in me in as being a big fan of the MAC as well. Just wish the conference collectively would elevate in football and basketball. Money is obviously a large part of that and a lot of the conference members having enrollment decline doesn’t help. Additionally, I think I read somewhere the B1G’s new TV deal is paying $70mm per team, while I think we are getting something like $500k per team. We need to renegotiate that to at least a few mil a team. Don’t see any reason we shouldn’t be able to do that.

I would’ve really liked to have us add any combination of JMU/Marshall/WKU/MTSU.

These two issues are why I want out of the MAC. The only thing Steinbrecher is ahead of the game on is cancelling a MAC basketball tournament. At least 3 or 4 of the conference members' best sports either aren't supported by the MAC or are dying off in the MAC - Men's Hockey and Men's Soccer. Football and basketball are down, and the gameday atmospheres blow for the most part (doesn't even show well on tv).

More than half the MAC doesn't carry their own weight and there's awful leadership at the top that isn't very open to adding talented schools to create a higher level of competition. Not a recipe for success as the landscape of college athletics continues to evolve and pass the MAC by.

The conference still uses commercials from 10+ years ago that, at best, were shot in 720p. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are all missing the most obvious way to upgrade the MAC ...............................................................................................        ........................................................................................................................New Logo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

These two issues are why I want out of the MAC. The only thing Steinbrecher is ahead of the game on is cancelling a MAC basketball tournament. At least 3 or 4 of the conference members' best sports either aren't supported by the MAC or are dying off in the MAC - Men's Hockey and Men's Soccer. Football and basketball are down, and the gameday atmospheres blow for the most part (doesn't even show well on tv).

More than half the MAC doesn't carry their own weight and there's awful leadership at the top that isn't very open to adding talented schools to create a higher level of competition. Not a recipe for success as the landscape of college athletics continues to evolve and pass the MAC by.

The conference still uses commercials from 10+ years ago that, at best, were shot in 720p. 

Which schools do you believe DO carry their weight in the MAC, and how?

Enrique Freeman was one of twenty players named to the watch list for the Karl Malone Award on Thursday. The award, now in its ninth year, honors the best power forward in Division I.

The list also includes: DaRon Holmes II , Dayton, Kris Murray, Iowa; Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona; KJ Williams, LSU; Johni Broome, Auburn; Donta Scott, Maryland; Arthur Kaluma, Creighton; DeAndre Williams, Memphis; Norchad Omier, Miami (Fla.); Kyle Filipowski, Duke; Pete Nance, North Carolina; Jalen Slawson, Furman; GG Jackson, South Carolina; Drew Timme, Gonzaga; Jayden Gardner, Virginia; Jarace Walker, Houston; Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech; Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana; and Graham Ike, Wyoming.

Fans can vote for the award starting Oct. 28 at HoopHallAwards.com.

The list will be narrowed to 10 players in late January and to five in late February. The five finalists will be presented to Malone and the Hall of Fame’s selection committee in March.

Previous award winners include: Keegan Murray, Iowa (2022); Drew Timme, Gonzaga (2021); Obi Toppin, Dayton (2020); Zion Williamson, Duke (2019); Deandre Ayton, Arizona (2018); Johnathan Motley, Baylor (2017); Georges Niang, Iowa State (2016); and Montrezl Harrell, Louisville (2015).

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Fans can vote for the award starting Oct. 28 at HoopHallAwards.com.

The list will be narrowed to 10 players in late January and to five in late February. The five finalists will be presented to Malone and the Hall of Fame’s selection committee in March.

So fans can start voting for it before the season even begins? Kind of hard to declare someone the best at a position for a season when there isn't even a sample size

If it was going to be televised it would either be on ESPN+ or ESPN3. I don't see it listed on ESPN so my best guess is that it's not. Maybe they'll do a stream for it, but who knows.

Personally, this is the home OOC game that I'm looking most to therefore going to attend. SDSU is a very solid mid-major program and should provide the Zips a good early season test.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, kreed5120 said:

I've heard absolutely no talks about a secret scrimmage or anything of that nature. I have to assume we had one as we do pretty much every year. Anyone have any news about that?

I can confirm that we beat IPFW 2/3 halves that we played.

We were away this weekend but cannot confirm the opponent or outcome yet.

Rumor has it that it will be X-Garvin-GT2-Rique-Sammy with Trendon, Nate Johnson, Amani Lyles coming off bench. 

I'll try to find out who we played this weekend and deliver updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

I can confirm that we beat IPFW 2/3 halves that we played.

We were away this weekend but cannot confirm the opponent or outcome yet.

Rumor has it that it will be X-Garvin-GT2-Rique-Sammy with Trendon, Nate Johnson, Amani Lyles coming off bench. 

I'll try to find out who we played this weekend and deliver updates.

8 man rotation... Any idea who could step up to make it a 9 or 10 man rotation? 

Prather Jr., Mosengo, T Johnson - any of these 3?

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

8 man rotation... Any idea who could step up to make it a 9 or 10 man rotation? 

Prather Jr., Mosengo, T Johnson - any of these 3?

I really like the idea of Prince, but seems like he is too young right now. Getting the John Groce freshman treatment it seems. Ryan Prather Jr. I would LOVE to see blow up. Would be a great Mikal Dawson filler. 

On 10/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, Aaron said:

For the soccer team, is the only way out of the MAC if the conference were to stop sponsoring the sport?  We seem to be in one of the worst conferences available for our best sport.

Is the soccer team allowed to play in the ACC, Big 10, Big East, or Sun Belt without any of our other sports signing on? 

If the MAC were to drop men's soccer, yes, the Zips would be free to participate in another conference for that sport.  The Big10 might be the best fit, as they only have 9 teams playing mens soccer.  WVU played in the MAC when their conference didn't offer soccer, and waaaay back Kentucky was part of the MAC when the SEC did not offer soccer.  And we are competitive with the Big10 year after year...

• Like 1