Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

They could make a killing selling jerseys. NIL money for players, revenue for the university, free advertising when people wear them around. 

Heck I'd buy those shorts in every color. Even stuff with the new logo is extremely limited. But that's a whole other discussion.

I've always been frustrated they don't sell jerseys. My only guess is that Nike probably doesn't think it's worth it to produce replicas for smaller schools? The only Zips jerseys I own are game worn ones I found on eBay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, akzipper said:

Heck I'd buy those shorts in every color. Even stuff with the new logo is extremely limited. But that's a whole other discussion.

I've always been frustrated they don't sell jerseys. My only guess is that Nike probably doesn't think it's worth it to produce replicas for smaller schools? The only Zips jerseys I own are game worn ones I found on eBay. 

Oh no... How will they ever recoup the miniscule slave labor costs?

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, too. The only jerseys I own are a game worn Bruce Weinkein jersey and the Zips #1 jersey they gave out at a game during the Treadwell years. Would love to see more Akron gear, especially jerseys. And these jerseys are slick. Love the clean A. 

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Oh no... How will they ever recoup the miniscule slave labor costs?

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, too. The only jerseys I own are a game worn Bruce Weinkein jersey and the Zips #1 jersey they gave out at a game during the Treadwell years. Would love to see more Akron gear, especially jerseys. And these jerseys are slick. Love the clean A. 

Even a “shirsey” would be awesome, and honestly a lot more affordable and practical for most fans. Again, no reason not to!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Even a “shirsey” would be awesome, and honestly a lot more affordable and practical for most fans. Again, no reason not to!

Based on what is sold in the team shop, I really don't know if "affordable" is in Akron's merch vocabulary. However, I do agree with a Shersey being a good alternative. 

• Haha 1

LOVE THIS! FINALLY A MID MAJOR CONFERENCE CHALLENGE!

Here are the Sun Belt members...

App State

Arkansas State

Coastal Carolina

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

James Madison

Louisiana

Marshall

Old Dominion

South Alabama

Southern Miss

Texas State

Troy

ULM

While the Sun Belt has a better track record on the gridiron, their growth has also created more appeal on the hardwood. We're all familiar with the Blundering Turds. Georgia State, IIRC, played Gonzaga tough in the Tourney last year. The conference added Old Dominion this year, which used to be a CAA powerhouse (VCU, ODU, George Mason, etc.) before going to CUSA and now the Sun Belt. 

The Sun Belt, I believe, has the 2nd largest mid-major conference media contract, behind only the MAC. This was prior to their expansion and additional success in football. The Sun Belt will most likely overtake the MAC during the next media deal negotiations, and should only see an increase in athletic success. This is a good conference challenge for the MAC, as the MAC's top basketball schools should beat the Sun Belt's best basketball schools, but the middle and lower tier schools will be very evenly matched. 

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Sun Belt is kind of meh, but this is a better step for scheduling going forward. I hope there's some sort of method to matching up similar caliber teams.

I wonder if that February matchup would be similar to bracket busters where they try to match up similar ranked teams? Both conferences should have some good teams near the top, but really lack the depth needed for any team to have much of a chance of building an at-large resume.

Assuming a MAC team or Sun Belt team is close to being on the cusp of an at-large, getting a top 50-60 win against another similar caliber opponent would certainly help provide a boost. Obviously what the MAC has been doing hasn't been working as it's been 20+ years since our last at-large. It's nice seeing we're trying something different.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3