Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

9 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

I love how every year so many people on this message board wishfully throw random newcomers in the starting lineup over Tribble and he still earns the spot. Happened with Maishe and then again with Walton now we’re here again with Hankerson. The kid is a gamer who impacts winning in multiple ways yet you think a transfer from a bad team is going to take his job lol 

That's right!

When I read "Maishe," I had to think for a second.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

I love how every year so many people on this message board wishfully throw random newcomers in the starting lineup over Tribble and he still earns the spot. Happened with Maishe and then again with Walton now we’re here again with Hankerson. The kid is a gamer who impacts winning in multiple ways yet you think a transfer from a bad team is going to take his job lol 

I get your point with Tribble but putting Maishe Dailey in the same boat as a Walton is a little misplaced.   Maishe was a disappointment overall, but he contributed and played hard.  

I am looking forward to seeing how Tribble developed in the off-season.  I really like his flexibility in that he can play the point or the two and plays defense hard enough to face up against the bigger wings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, let's say without Dawson we end up with a lineup with three "smaller" guards (X plus two of Tribble, Hankerson and Clarke) and the two big guys (Freeman and Hunter).  Do we see a little more up tempo as a result or do they slow it down having less depth now?  Do we see more zone to protect the smaller guards?

It's going to be a very interesting first half or 2/3 of the season as we see how Groce brings this together.

In Groce I trust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So, let's say without Dawson we end up with a lineup with three "smaller" guards (X plus two of Tribble, Hankerson and Clarke) and the two big guys (Freeman and Hunter).  Do we see a little more up tempo as a result or do they slow it down having less depth now?  Do we see more zone to protect the smaller guards?

It's going to be a very interesting first half or 2/3 of the season as we see how Groce brings this together.

In Groce I trust.

I'm holding any questions until we see how this team shoots the ball. The good thing is, we have the blueprint from last year to see how to be successful if we aren't the best shooting team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Did we undergo an entire rebranding and still keep the script bball jerseys? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjaZ32burOt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I think those jersey pics are from when they were recruiting him back in the spring, before the new uniforms. I remember seeing an edit at some point released by the U with a photoshopped picture of Enrique wearing a jersey with the new official ZIPS font across the chest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Last year was such a crazy, emotional, roller coaster that I'm not sure what to expect.  We waited so long for that MAC Tournament championship and then it finally came in the most amazing fashion. Remember that awful stretch and the losses at WMU and home against NIU? Had Segu made that 3 in round one, had the PCCC-Rootstown players not been well...themselves...  Anyway...see how I feel when I'm back in the JAR.  

51 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Will Akron be the pre-season favorite? My intuition says yes, Freeman and X will be first team.

Agreed. 

But I'm also predicting that the beginning of the season will be rocky (in typical Akron fashion) as we get accustomed to playing without Ali & Dawson.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Agreed. 

But I'm also predicting that the beginning of the season will be rocky (in typical Akron fashion) as we get accustomed to playing without Ali & Dawson.

Yep, there's going to be some pain.

Please keep reminding me that it's about where they are in February and March.

• Like 1

I've seen that highlight video on youtube, but I sure with I could find the entire game somewhere. What's missing entirely from the highlight video was half the fun of the game: the defense we played on KSUcks all night long... and especially Carry. We turned him over I don't know how many times.

54 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've seen that highlight video on youtube, but I sure with I could find the entire game somewhere. What's missing entirely from the highlight video was half the fun of the game: the defense we played on KSUcks all night long... and especially Carry. We turned him over I don't know how many times.

I needed a little pick-me-up earlier today and scrolled through the MAC tournament thread on here. Man, it was a party that night! This board was hopping, and the liquor in my house was F L O W I N G 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I needed a little pick-me-up earlier today and scrolled through the MAC tournament thread on here. Man, it was a party that night! This board was hopping, and the liquor in my house was F L O W I N G 

This video was a massive shot of adrenaline earlier that day. Never forget the classless stupidity that is Failure University - Kent Campus.

• Like 1