Spring Ball 2022

LoyalZIP

Spring Ball gets started in a week! Next season starts now! I'm hoping to see a couple in person, but we'll see how my schedule works out. Is @Dr Z planning on taking the camera to any? I haven't been this excited for both Zips football and basketball's upcoming seasons in at least 5-6 years. We've got something special building at UA! GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Which news outlet gives the best coverage for Akron football?

Wow, you are new to the Zips.  The answer to your question is none. Not even the local Akron Beacon Journal. However, as far as the Akron Beacon goes, if you need to know anything about the Cleveland Browns or Columbus Buckeyes you are in luck!

tenor-254406939.gif.2664d79998dd483a94dc443f075f3827.gif

29 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Which news outlet gives the best coverage for Akron football?

B&G hit it on the head, but Akron Beacon Journal is the "best" by default. Also you'll see a lot of the interviews in the sense I was talking about on the Akron Zips/Akron Football social media accounts and the Akron Zips youtube channel.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wow, you are new to the Zips.  The answer to your question is none. Not even the local Akron Beacon Journal. However, as far as the Akron Beacon goes, if you need to know anything about the Cleveland Browns or Columbus Buckeyes you are in luck!

tenor-254406939.gif.2664d79998dd483a94dc443f075f3827.gif

That’s a shame. I know the first two days will be helmets only, so I’m sure a lot of the news will be about who is taking leadership roles, etc. When pads come on is what I’m most interested in, but if news is as sparse as you say I guess any news is better than no news. Hopefully, the staff will use social media to their advantage and post clips from practice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Thanks for posting!

It’s just helmets, but #6 (Curtis Fann?) looks the part. Nice size and moves really well. If he moves the same way with pads on, he’ll see plenty of action this year.

It was just one play but TE #25 better do a better job than that if he wants to see the field. The one play was an RPO, which is a staple of Moorhead’s offense. Looks like it was Joey Marousek at QB and Cam Wiley at RB. Couldn’t see the receiver who caught the ball.

• Like 1

I love this Morehead quote from the above article-

“Find another place to go where you won't be held to a standard and you don't do it the way you want it done or they can sit on the bench. There's really not much discussion to it and they've learned the difference between a suggestion and directive.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I love this Morehead quote from the above article-

“Find another place to go where you won't be held to a standard and you don't do it the way you want it done or they can sit on the bench. There's really not much discussion to it and they've learned the difference between a suggestion and directive.”

Also like the preceeding comment in the article. 

“There is no level of compromise. They're going to do it the way we want it done or they can find another place to play or they can sit on the bench,” he said. “It's really one of three things. Do it the way this team needs to be done that's led to a 52-25 career head coaching record and five different conference championships at five different schools as a head coach or coordinator or the [transfer] portal's open for business."

• Like 3

That was a fantastic article - Joe seems to really get it - not just football, but the men playing it.  The closing piece on accountability is something I can't recall any of our previous coaches dealing with in-depth, and especially not with the media.  Genuine excitement and respect for his start here.

The difference in engagement online is amazing. From everything to tweets about offers, to updates on the team, birthday wishes, active coaches, communication with recruiting services...these are all things we've never had.  I cannot wait for the spring game, and I'm hoping all this work translates into great community engagement.

Make the spring game an event. Late April is a great time for it. Give casual fans more reasons to visit Infocision and campus. We're a real D1 team...FINALLY.

• Like 4