Spring Ball 2022

LoyalZIP

55 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I know all 16 people who have posted  on this thread are pretty pumped about it, but that's a pretty small sub-sample of the general population. Any evidence that a significant portion of the remainder of the Akron area  is excited about the Spring Game?

Well, at least it’s 16 more than last year.

Edited by Blue & Gold

12 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I know all 16 people who have posted  on this thread are pretty pumped about it, but that's a pretty small sub-sample of the general population. Any evidence that a significant portion of the remainder of the Akron area  is excited about the Spring Game?

Probably won't know until the game and the attendance, sadly. I wish there was more of a Zips presence in the area, but maybe that will happen if the team turns things around. 

The spring game is never massively attended. Especially for a Program that won 7 games in the past 4 years. It will be a "Family and Friends" crowd on April 30th (not unlike most recent home games).

For those that have kept the faith over the past 4 seasons, it will be a fun Saturday on campus. Once the new staff's work becomes evident to the general public in the form of MAC Championship expectations, the spring game will gain some traction. In the near future, if all goes as planned, a crowd of 4, 000 to 5,000 would be a hell of an achievement...but it's possible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The spring game is never massively attended. Especially for a Program that won 7 games in the past 4 years. It will be a "Family and Friends" crowd on April 30th (not unlike most recent home games).

For those that have kept the faith over the past 4 seasons, it will be a fun Saturday on campus. Once the new staff's work becomes evident to the general public in the form of MAC Championship expectations, the spring game will gain some traction. In the near future, if all goes as planned, a crowd of 4, 000 to 5,000 would be a hell of an achievement...but it's possible.

Any idea if the game will be televised?

12 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

He mentioned the front 4 doing a good job, so it sounds like we will be running a 4 down front after all.

I caught that too. I think the 4-3 fits us a little better than the 3-4.

Edited by blueandgold

I about crapped when i heard Joe say the DLine was actually getting after it. How long has it been that we had zero line pressure? I love that he is getting guys in that can create pressure and force the QB out of his comfort zone. The future looks bright. IJWT. 

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, catdaddyp said:

He mentioned the front 4 doing a good job, so it sounds like we will be running a 4 down front after all.

Gosh, who recommended the 4-3 set up a week ago in the linebackers review.   And I received a lot of pushback from the nation.  

18 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Gosh, who recommended the 4-3 set up a week ago in the linebackers review.   And I received a lot of pushback from the nation.  

Not sure who else disagreed with you, but I mentioned the reasons why I thought we’d be in a 3-4. Looks like I was incorrect in my assumption. The question now is it actually a 4-3, a 4-2-5, or a hybrid? Richardson is listed as an OLB so is it a true 4 man front? Or is it potentially a dominant 3 man front with a walked down linebacker to the weak side? I have no idea, but we’ll find out soon enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Quotes that I love to read and only reaffirm my belief this team will eventually contend for conference titles. 

Across the board, for the most part, we look like a team that deserves to step foot – physically – on a Division I football field,” 

"Because we can fix some of the X's and O's,” he said. “If you can get the kids believing in the scheme and giving incredible effort and playing hard for quarters and not being on an emotional roller coaster and just keep sawing wood, generally good things will happen.”

2 hours ago, gozips19 said:

Quotes that I love to read and only reaffirm my belief this team will eventually contend for conference titles. 

Across the board, for the most part, we look like a team that deserves to step foot – physically – on a Division I football field,” 

"Because we can fix some of the X's and O's,” he said. “If you can get the kids believing in the scheme and giving incredible effort and playing hard for quarters and not being on an emotional roller coaster and just keep sawing wood, generally good things will happen.”

I believe the word "four" is missing from the quote.

I have never heard the phrase "keep sawing wood" before.

In the context in which it appears I surmise that it is something positive, but I'm not sure why that would be the case.