Spring Ball 2022

LoyalZIP

There's definitely reasons for the game to be held indoors.  We could have a day like Tuesday this week where it barely touches 40 degrees with wall-to-wall clouds.  However, outdoors should be the default with an option to move it inside due to weather or other extenuating circumstances.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the logistics of the decision process but we're not at the Rubber Bowl anymore.  These two venues are 100' apart and we have a fairly accurate forecast 5-7 days ahead of time. 

I'm not interested in watching a glorified practice indoors where there can't be punts, field goals, or even a kickoff.  I may stop by campus for the surplus sale, but most likely I'll stay home and get some work done on the house.  Incredibly disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

There's definitely reasons for the game to be held indoors.  We could have a day like Tuesday this week where it barely touches 40 degrees with wall-to-wall clouds.  However, outdoors should be the default with an option to move it inside due to weather or other extenuating circumstances.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the logistics of the decision process but we're not at the Rubber Bowl anymore.  These two venues are 100' apart and we have a fairly accurate forecast 5-7 days ahead of time. 

I'm not interested in watching a glorified practice indoors where there can't be punts, field goals, or even a kickoff.  I may stop by campus for the surplus sale, but most likely I'll stay home and get some work done on the house.  Incredibly disappointed.

I view it as a hint that we'll be going with a no punt, no FG, onside kickoff offense this year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am really disappointed in the use of the Stiles Field House instead of the stadium for the game, but I'm still going because I'm just too excited about this year's team not to.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I view it as a hint that we'll be going with a no punt, no FG, onside kickoff offense this year.

I like this.

Alright, I've got my story and I'm sticking to it. 

The turf at the Info cannot handle the explosion that is our offense. Until that is replaced, they'll need to strictly utilize the Fieldhouse. The Fieldhouse does not change the game at all, as our games will not feature punts or FGs due to the success of the offense. The noise level and echo within the Fieldhouse will semi-closely imitate the sound of 30k at the Info during the season. 

Gonna sleep very well at night telling myself this before closing my eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

#FireGuthrie ?

That’s a bit extreme. However, I think expressing our displeasure with the situation and asking for better planning is appropriate. I’d also be more accepting if he admitted a mistake in planning instead of trying to cover it up with the weather. OMG this might be the first time football takes place in less than ideal conditions in NE Ohio. Thus we are holding it indoor. Really?! Lol!!!  Never mind that fans in attendance should have access to the club and “ritzier” levels. Maybe that would draw more fans allowing them to watch from those seats if they wish. Some people might be excited to enjoy those parts of the stadium. 

• Like 1

Just seems like a bad idea from a marketing standpoint. Geez, it's a new era. Generate some enthusiasm be getting fans back in the stadium on a nice spring day. Might even sell a few season tickets. I know there have been much worse weather days for spring games. I've been to a couple of them. Gonna be tough to create close to the same atmosphere in the field house. I guess I'll enjoy the weather watching some of the baseball and softball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, zippy5 said:

the Info is taken tomorrow. This isn't that hard. The issue is scheduling it for tomorrow vs last saturday or the one before. This wasn't an Info vs Field House decision for Guthrie

... the Info was built ... for football. It isn't that hard.

Change the time of LAX or move it to Friday or Sunday. Could/should have been done long ago. They made a big splash with the Moorhead hire and failed to capitalize on that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moorhead wanted it inside also. If he wanted it outside, they would have made it work. I am bummed, but I get it. I would imagine it has to do with practicing inside for every practice so far, and the turf at the stadium is sh*t compared to the field house. Plus lax. It’s a great day to be a Zip whether they’re in Infocision or the Norton Middle School auditorium. 

• Like 2

I don't think the decision is dampening anyone's optimism for the program and all of the promising moves that have been made in the last 3-4 months.  It just dampened enthusiasm for some of us that were looking forward to some time in Infocision watching the Zips. 

Those in attendance, take good notes and report here 😝

I'll be sure to share pics of the fire pit project I finish off today.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Moorhead wanted it inside also. If he wanted it outside, they would have made it work. I am bummed, but I get it. I would imagine it has to do with practicing inside for every practice so far, and the turf at the stadium is sh*t compared to the field house. Plus lax. It’s a great day to be a Zip whether they’re in Infocision or the Norton Middle School auditorium. 

PTSD just kicked it from how close the out of bounds lines were to the wall. They were smart to move the middle school to the old high school. 

48 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

PTSD just kicked it from how close the out of bounds lines were to the wall. They were smart to move the middle school to the old high school. 

Norton's really turned into a fantastic school system. My little niece attends and my little nephew will attend Norton.  Go Panthers!

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

This is getting confusing; have they moved the spring game to Norton?

I too am looking forward to some real time reports from those in attendance. Make me feel like I'm there. What color jerseys are the offense and defense wearing? Are the QBs all adorned in red (or pink) jerseys? What's the temperature? Any player do something especially note worthy? Are the cheerleaders there? Send pictures. I am so pumped my belly button won't stop puckering and unpuckering.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:12 AM, RowdyZip said:

I don't think the decision is dampening anyone's optimism for the program and all of the promising moves that have been made in the last 3-4 months.  It just dampened enthusiasm for some of us that were looking forward to some time in Infocision watching the Zips. 

Those in attendance, take good notes and report here 😝

I'll be sure to share pics of the fire pit project I finish off today.

Not putting the program’s best out there to try to increase community interest. Die hard Zips football fans who stomached iCoach and Arth are unaffected. They’ve already shown an ability beyond compare to put up with the worst. Field House v Stadium is minor to them. When trying to build outside interest, advanced planning to open all seating areas of Infocision Stadium for a free Spring Football Game on a nice Spring day would have been a great way to show case the program and start building new relationships. Not saying that is not happening in other ways but I see this Spring Game in the Field House as a missed opportunity. . 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2