Spring Ball 2022

LoyalZIP

27 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Not a ton to be gleaned here, but it looks like:

- Irons and Marousek are throwing together, most likely as the #1 and #2 at this point.

- Another highlight of Cam Wiley. He’s running with the first team there.

- First team OL looks like Cambers at LT and Daniels at RT. Beckman and Banes on the interior. Can’t tell who the other interior OL is as he has his man pancaked. Chances are it won’t stay that way. Someone might be held out for precautionary reasons and it’s the next man up. Who knows?

- On defense, CB Ronald Jackson is the read man for the QB, transfer Victor Jones at DE, transfer DT Curtis Harper getting turned out by Banes, OLB Julian Richardson crashing in on the edge, Jalen Hooks at CB, and KJ Martin at S.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Not a ton to be gleaned here, but it looks like:

- Irons and Marousek are throwing together, most likely as the #1 and #2 at this point.

- Another highlight of Cam Wiley. He’s running with the first team there.

- First team OL looks like Cambers at LT and Daniels at RT. Beckman and Banes on the interior. Can’t tell who the other interior OL is as he has his man pancaked. Chances are it won’t stay that way. Someone might be held out for precautionary reasons and it’s the next man up. Who knows?

- On defense, CB Ronald Jackson is the read man for the QB, transfer Victor Jones at DE, transfer DT Curtis Harper getting turned out by Banes, OLB Julian Richardson crashing in on the edge, Jalen Hooks at CB, and KJ Martin at S.

Who knows if this is "first team" as they could still just be trying out different combinations on the OL but the dude at RG is probably Robarge.  Looks like him based of stance and he played RG last season. In addition, if they were going to play Banes at Gaurd, why would they move him out of his natural position at RG for Beckman that played LG last season.  Doesn't make sense to flip flop.  I would lay money that they are projecting Banes at LG and Robarge at RG.  Two solid guys....Beckman is likely competing for Center given his size.  I think real questions are at both tackle positions....my two cents. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Another fantastic article.  Some extremely encouraging & endearing quotes from both Bubba and DJ.  Definitely give it a click!

Go Zips!!

Great culture is infectious. So much so I think we have George Thomas believing in this team! I know I certainly do. Awesome to hear that the player are sold on Akron!

Edited by AKSportsFan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

Who knows if this is "first team" as they could still just be trying out different combinations on the OL but the dude at RG is probably Robarge.  Looks like him based of stance and he played RG last season. In addition, if they were going to play Banes at Gaurd, why would they move him out of his natural position at RG for Beckman that played LG last season.  Doesn't make sense to flip flop.  I would lay money that they are projecting Banes at LG and Robarge at RG.  Two solid guys....Beckman is likely competing for Center given his size.  I think real questions are at both tackle positions....my two cents. 

The reason I believe it’s the first team OL is due to several things - Brank is at the TE, Irons is at QB, several of the linemen were starters last year. However, that doesn’t mean each one of them is a starter at this point. Like I said, one or two could be held out for unknown reasons and it’s the next man up.

It very well could be Robarge at one of the interior positions, I don’t know. I know you’re a fan of his. If he’s the best OL available, I want him playing. I’m viewing this team with fresh eyes and don’t have a bias towards any of the players. I feel there are some younger guys who have more overall talent that could push for playing time this year. It’s still early, but in the end, I want the best 5 out there that give us a chance to win.

It’d be great if we were given a closer look into practice instead of having to speculate on just a handful of plays or drills.

Edited by catdaddyp

7 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

The reason I believe it’s the first team OL is due to several things - Brank is at the TE, Irons is at QB, several of the linemen were starters last year. However, that doesn’t mean each one of them is a starter at this point. Like I said, one or two could be held out for unknown reasons and it’s the next man up.

It very well could be Robarge at one of the interior positions, I don’t know. I know you’re a fan of his. If he’s the best OL available, I want him playing. I’m viewing this team with fresh eyes and don’t have a bias towards any of the players. I feel there are some younger guys who have more overall talent that could push for playing time this year. It’s still early, but in the end, I want the best 5 out there that give us a chance to win.

It’d be great if we were given a closer look into practice instead of having to speculate on just a handful of plays or drills.

April 30th can't get here soon enough! Just hope its an actual scrimmage rather than whatever Arth did (mostly just drills and maybe very little 11 on 11 with no tackling IIRC).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Agree.  I think we all want best players available at every position and I trust new coaching staff will not have any bias for any player and  each position will have to be earned.  Would love to go watch a practice session.   

Edited by Zippyroo
Typo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When's the last time there was this much excitement surrounding the Spring Game?

2006, post championship in the Fieldhouse.  I met Jason Taylor at BW3 and he took a break from his round of Golden Tee to sign my bobblehead box.  Won't ever forget it, he was very cordial and flattered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

We’re starting to see a lot of Victor Jones, Curtis Harper, and KJ Martin in these clips.

It was only one play, but it’s exciting to see Oran Singleton getting matched up one on one with a safety (Martin). Also, Irons got the ball out quickly and (mostly) on target - would have been better if he led Singleton some, but I’m nitpicking here. I can imagine Singleton potentially slipping that tackle and taking it to the house in a game.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When's the last time there was this much excitement surrounding the Spring Game?

I know all 16 people who have posted  on this thread are pretty pumped about it, but that's a pretty small sub-sample of the general population. Any evidence that a significant portion of the remainder of the Akron area  is excited about the Spring Game?