Women's Softball

zippy-claws

45 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Women's soccer coach is next.

Add to that exodus women's volleyball, a case study in mediocrity. Addition by subtraction again.

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I guess so. We bemoan the lack of coverage and that's how we treat media requests.

"_____" did not immediately return a request for comment is in just about every news article you read. I don't think it's a knock on the athletic department

• 2 months later...

Solid hire. Guthrie got a coach with experience, post season appearances and titles. I like it. Guthrie is putting his stamp on the coaching staff. I bet he next moves quickly on womens soccer as soon as her contract is up. 

• 9 months later...

It is nothing short of thrilling to see a pathetic Zip program turn around and not only compete, but to thrive. Leadership/coaching is everything in college sports. All the more reason not to accept mediocrity in our sports. Congrats ladies! 

• Like 1

This team starts 3 freshmen (IIRC) and our best hitter, Lexi Campbell, is a sophomore 👀👀🔥

Just like we keep saying with football, there is so much HS talent in the area.  If we can only become a destination... 🙏

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

I never understood how the program could be so bad when the conference tournament was literally held in your city every year (Firestone Stadium). Now it's hosted by the #1 seed, but that always frustrated me. Some of the stories I've heard about one of the former head coaches of this program from former players was insane. I'm not going to tell them as we're past that now, but it definitely showed administration didn't care about the program or it would have had a change a lot earlier than it did. 

I know time will tell on all these hires, but at least Guthrie has recognized the programs that needed change and has made those changes. 

I'm glad to see there has been improvement this year with the new staff. Hoping the team can make some noise in the conference tournament!

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mes102 said:

I never understood how the program could be so bad when the conference tournament was literally held in your city every year (Firestone Stadium). Now it's hosted by the #1 seed, but that always frustrated me. Some of the stories I've heard about one of the former head coaches of this program from former players was insane. I'm not going to tell them as we're past that now, but it definitely showed administration didn't care about the program or it would have had a change a lot earlier than it did. 

I know time will tell on all these hires, but at least Guthrie has recognized the programs that needed change and has made those changes. 

I'm glad to see there has been improvement this year with the new staff. Hoping the team can make some noise in the conference tournament!

I would say last year, specifically, was a pretty good example of the times changing. As soon as the incident occurred with that horrible coach, it was addressed and she was let go. No BS suspension. UA has been just fine over the last 15 years in revenue sports, save for football but got the new stadium at least. As for the smaller sports in the margins—the baseballs, softballs, womens soccers, golfs, etc.—usually lagging behind. It says a lot about a school and athletic department when all of the programs, or most of them, are competing at a high level. I can’t really remember a time where all of those previously listed sports were regularly competitive. That would be great to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the home season-ending game today.  The women battled to the end.  What a different a year has made.  These players were so competitive this year, but hat's off to Coach Nicholson, and his staff.  They developed these athletes into a nice unit, and the attitudes and winning ways were contagious.  The team is probably out of playoff contention now, but they were in it until this weekend, and that says a lot compared to past seasons.  Way to go Zips.  Close things out on the road next weekend and hold your heads high.

I didn't realize the MAC has only the top 4 seeds qualify now for the conference tournament. I thought they were a lock in an 8 team conference tournament. Oops 🤦‍♂️

The fact they were competitive this year is a great start for the new staff and the student-athletes in this program. 

10 minutes ago, mes102 said:

I didn't realize the MAC has only the top 4 seeds qualify now for the conference tournament

Yes, the MAC went to the 4-team tourney after CoVid for softball and baseball.  Too bad too, because the tourney at Firestone Stadium was always so great in a superb setting.  Hubby and his friends used to always go to Avon and spend the weekend to watch the baseball tourney, and they loved it.  I thought I had heard rumor that baseball was going to go back to 8 teams next year and a neutral site.  If so, why not softball?  We'll have to see.

• Like 1