Position Preview (and updates) - Quarterback

catdaddyp

The QB position was an issue in 2023 and should be improved in 2024.

Ben Finley - [Redshirt Junior, New] - (5.7) 3 ️ HS / (5.4) 2 ️ Portal - Grad transfer from California. Finley was a 3 ️ commitment to NC State out of HS before transferring to California. He is a grad transfer with two years remaining. Finley does have a propensity to take chances and turn the ball over, which will need to be limited. He does not have quite as big of an arm as Bullock or Wasel, nor is does he have as much mobility as the aforementioned. However, Finley throws a better ball and in-particular throws an excellent back shoulder pass. He should be QB1 going into the season unless another QB is signed to compete. HS FILM.

- Portal Offers: Utah State. *

Tahj Bullock - [Redshirt Junior, Returning] - (5.6) 3 ️ HS / (5.5) 3 ️ Portal - Former transfer from Virginia Tech. Bullock is a true dual threat quarterback with size and a big arm, but struggled with accuracy in 2023. Bullock finished the year 32 of 66 for 271 yards passing and 3 touchdowns versus 3 interceptions. He also ran 62 times for 165 yards and 4 touchdowns. College Film and HS FilmStar Rating Take: TBD.

- Portal Offers: Hampton, Delaware State, Northern Iowa, Fordham, East Tennessee State, Utah Tech. *

Steele Wasel - [Redshirt Freshman, Returning] - (5.6) 3 ️ - Wasel was Akron’s top rated prospect in the 2023 class according to Rivals. He likely could have committed to a P5 school had he chosen to do so, but was a loyal commitment to JoeMo for some time. Wasel has excellent size, a big arm, and is a sneaky good scrambler. Wasel is still working on his throwing motion and not forcing passes. He flashed reason for excitement in the spring game, but also made some freshman mistakes. Wasel did not see the field in 2023. HS FILM * Star Rating Take: TBD.

Brayden Roggow - [Freshman, New] - (5.3) 2 ️ - Early enrollee. Roggow is a tall quarterback, with some mobility, and was very successful at the HS level. He has a bit of a funky throwing motion, yet the ball comes out clean in the end. While Roggow may not have quite as much arm strength as Bullock or Wasel, he has more than enough and throws a catchable ball.  Roggow is also a more polished passer than Bullock and Wasel coming out of HS. HS FILM.

Johnny Brookhart - [Redshirt Freshman, Returning] - NR - Walk-on. HS FILM

Finley should be QB1 unless one of the other quarterbacks can unseat him. Bullock and Wasel have plenty of natural ability, but still have some developing to do. Roggow will be a true freshman, so it’s unlikely he’ll see that much time. Expect the staff to bring in one more QB before the season begins.

Added:

Ben Finley (TP)

Brayden Roggow (HS)

Removed:

(5.5) 3 ️ (JUCO) - DJ Irons - Graduation 

NR - Jeff Undercuffler - Graduation 

(5.2) 2 ️ (HS) - Dijon Jennings - TP = Weber State

(5.4) 2 ️ (HS) - Ryan Jankowski - TP = UMASS

Before 2022 season:

NR - Calvin Cloud - Walk-on.

(5.3) 2 ️ - Joey Marousek - (Baldwin Wallace) - Star Rating Take: Should have been a (5.2) 2 ️.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much for this!  This series is going to be great!

DJ is definitely the clear cut #1 coming into Spring Ball.  But I'm glad you like what you see in Marousek.  I think Joey is surprisingly athletic (he played short stop in HS baseball) and might surprise some people in what he can do in JoeMo's system.

• Like 1

Imagine if the Akron Beacon Journal allowed George Thomas to write detailed stories like this about Zips Football and Zips Basketball.  Maybe the community would buy into the local Division I program.

Appreciate the information catdaddyp.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

If DJI can be the man for the next 2 years it will give the younger guys plenty of time to develop and be ready to step in.

Other than Jennings, the "young guys" are sophomores. If DJI (Junior) is the man for the next 2 seasons, I'd expect Jankowski and Marousek will have transferred-out.

Eager to see if what Marousek brings to the table. He's been really patient sitting behind Gibson and Irons. 

If Irons can get some protection I have to believe he'll be great. Strong arm, runs with purpose, tall, athletic, accurate. 

You never know what disenchanted P5 grad transfer QB becomes available after being leapfrogged by a younger guy. So one could show up at Joe's doorstep after spring ball. But count me among the many who feel Irons will be "the man" for the Zips when September rolls around.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm high on Irons, but l am concerned with his ball security.

Valid concern! But the OL last season was atrocious and he could barely get past 1-Missisippi before someone was tomahawking his arm.

If Joe can shore it up, I think Irons will be great. The entire OL returns and should be a year bigger and stronger. New recruits will provide depth and competition. And I think just by the nature of Joe's higher-level offense being less predictable, it'll greatly help the situation.

If I'm wrong, feel free to bookmark this post and wave it in my face in early November. 😁 

• Like 2

Count me in as believing in Irons' potential if the turnovers can get cleaned up. I'd like him to maintain his health as well. He was beat up last year and I recall reading about injuries in JUCO as well. Better O-line will help, but avoiding the contact and sliding or stepping out of bounds every now and then will too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Since we don’t receive as much news as we should from the Akron outlets, I’m going to do a position by position preview of the roster. All of the previews will be based on my opinion of the player fit within the new schemes, the games I watched on tv last year, and any film I can find online. Feel free to jump in and say where I may have missed something.

DJ Irons - The clear cut #1 QB going into spring ball. He has pro style height, a strong arm, and flashes ample ability to be a weapon in the run game. He’s the ideal QB for a Moorhead offense. As with all QBs, the question will be how quickly he can pick up the mental aspects of the offense and then apply them to the field.

Joey Marousek - Tall, displays plenty of arm strength, and throws a nice ball. He’s a surprisingly solid athlete that runs well. My best guess is if he’s not already the top backup, he soon will be. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him receive playing time if Irons struggles.

Ryan Jankowski -  Left handed QB, who demonstrates excellent pocket awareness. He doesn’t seem to possess as much natural arm strength as some of the other QBs on the roster and his throwing motion is inconsistent.

Dijon Jennings - Great athlete and very elusive. Jennings would most likely develop into a dynamic wide receiver if the QB position didn’t work out. His throwing motion is inconsistent, but he flashes the ability to keep plays alive with his feet. 

Calvin Cloud - Pro style QB with decent arm strength. In-state player that doesn’t have the type of mobility to flourish in a Moorhead offense. 

I don’t know if Jennings, or any of the other freshmen, enrolled early to participate in spring ball. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another QB transfer in - and one transfer out - before the season starts. If Irons goes down, or struggles, will any of the backups be able to replace him effectively for an extended period of time?

I have read many of the posts and have the following comments:

Irons - I am not a fan.  He is a good runner and has had some hot stretches, but he is very inconsistent.  He missed many wide open receivers.  Also, I did not like his decision making. Gibson took over and played much better and put us in position to win games.  We have better options.  

Marousek - I have not seen enough of him to comment.  Although he did not play a great high school schedule.

Jennings - As I have stated in other posts, I get nervous on QB's who are sub. 500 with their high school record.  He has some good tapes, and the good plays are high lighted.  Give him time to develop and we will see. 

Jankowski - first team all Florida in the biggest division.    Reminds me of Rothlisberger since he played behind a starter until his senior year.  The difference is that Rothlisberger played behind the coaches son and Ryan's dad was the coach.  I think he has the arm strength and can run when needed.  He will be successful. 

I will support whoever wins the job. 

In Joe We Trust!!! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Other than Jennings, the "young guys" are sophomores. If DJI (Junior) is the man for the next 2 seasons, I'd expect Jankowski and Marousek will have transferred-out.

Eager to see if what Marousek brings to the table. He's been really patient sitting behind Gibson and Irons. 

If Irons can get some protection I have to believe he'll be great. Strong arm, runs with purpose, tall, athletic, accurate. 

You never know what disenchanted P5 grad transfer QB becomes available after being leapfrogged by a younger guy. So one could show up at Joe's doorstep after spring ball. But count me among the many who feel Irons will be "the man" for the Zips when September rolls around.

None of the others show as having redshirted yet, so there's that. Plus another lost season due to a bad COVID variant is all it would take to give them another year of eligibility 🍅🍅🍅

49 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

None of the others show as having redshirted yet, so there's that. Plus another lost season due to a bad COVID variant is all it would take to give them another year of eligibility 🍅🍅🍅

You are correct.

Assuming Irons is "the man," I still don't see either holding a clip board, patiently awaiting their shot in 2024. I guess we'll see how it plays-out.

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You are correct.

Assuming Irons is "the man," I still don't see either holding a clip board, patiently awaiting their shot in 2024. I guess we'll see how it plays-out.

Oh who are we kidding - if DJI has even a mildly successful season he will be quickly devoured by the transfer portal 😄

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Oh who are we kidding - if DJI has even a mildly successful season he will be quickly devoured by the transfer portal 😄

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that with next season, transferring and using the portal will result in sitting out a year again.  If true, this reversal will definitely slow down the number of transfers.  I would request that someone on the board can support this comment or dispute it.  Please reply only if you know the details.  Go Zips!!!

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that with next season, transferring and using the portal will result in sitting out a year again.  If true, this reversal will definitely slow down the number of transfers.  I would request that someone on the board can support this comment or dispute it.  Please reply only if you know the details.  Go Zips!!!

Irons would be able to transfer out and play immediately, if he chose to do so. Since he came from a JUCO, that didn’t count as his free transfer. 

In Adams’ case, he would have to sit a year if he transferred to another FBS school since he already used his free transfer.

The NCAA will continue to allow the one free transfer rule for the foreseeable future. Fall athletes have until May 1st to enter the portal, unless there is a head coach change -  then they would have until July 1st.

3 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Irons would be able to transfer out and play immediately, if he chose to do so. Since he came from a JUCO, that didn’t count as his free transfer. 

In Adams’ case, he would have to sit a year if he transferred to another FBS school since he already used his free transfer.

The NCAA will continue to allow the one free transfer rule for the foreseeable future. Fall athletes have until May 1st to enter the portal, unless there is a head coach change -  then they would have until July 1st.

We are really pushing it close then with our April 30th spring game. Not going to give much time for the players leaving to get in there lol.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:23 PM, catdaddyp said:

I did not know that this rule changed, I thought it was a one year exemption.  Also, I have been unable to find documentation on the net to support this change.  Can you provide a link, I would greatly appreciate it.  

12 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I did not know that this rule changed, I thought it was a one year exemption.  Also, I have been unable to find documentation on the net to support this change.  Can you provide a link, I would greatly appreciate it.  

Google NCAA transfer rule

• Like 1

• catdaddyp changed the title to Position Preview - Quarterback
  • 4 weeks later...

With the deadline to enter the portal, I'd be willing to bet they had the honest conversation about going another direction and I'm hoping that conversation also included the news of brining someone in, that made him jump. Not that you want to lose a quality backup (as some on this board was pretty high on him back earlier this year) but I would think this is an indication someone is coming in to compete with Irons. The question is, who?

Whether it’s a prior indication or not, we’re definitely going to be bringing in another one now, hopefully one that can push Irons a little more, and at the very least provide reliable backup depth. May the best man win.