Position Preview (and updates) - Quarterback

catdaddyp

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

On my phone but Joey Marousek has entered the Transfer Portal. I didn’t expect that.

Agreed. I didn’t see that one coming. As stated yesterday, I thought both Irons and Marousek did some good things in the SG, but both also had their head scratcher throws. 

It was my first time seeing Marousek live and he didn’t have the kind of zip on his passes I expected, but it was still enough to get the job done. 

I was firmly in the camp of another QB needing to be brought in after yesterday and before this transfer news. I hate that Marousek is leaving, as he could be serviceable, but on the same side of things we would probably struggle if he had to play too many meaningful minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKSportsFan said:

With the deadline to enter the portal, I'd be willing to bet they had the honest conversation about going another direction and I'm hoping that conversation also included the news of brining someone in, that made him jump. Not that you want to lose a quality backup (as some on this board was pretty high on him back earlier this year)

Ryan Jankowski started for the Gold team.

I suppose Marousek was competing for third string QB with Calvin Cloud.

Edited by zzx
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, zzx said:

Ryan Jankowski started for the Gold team.

I suppose Marousek was competing for third string QB with Calvin Cloud.

I didn’t get to see Jankowski in action, but if Cloud sees any PT besides mop up duty in a blowout then we are in trouble.

17 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

On my phone but Joey Marousek has entered the Transfer Portal. I didn’t expect that.

I looked in the portal early this morning and did not see Marousek liste.  Maybe I did a poor search.  

I predicted this transfer a couple of months ago and got beat up by the Nation.  As I said at the time, I would not be surprised if Jankowski also transfers.  

These players have got to learn that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.  The top players from the top programs can transfer at will, but most MAC players cannot always find a better situation.  As I posted in the past, these players need to get some good leadership and advice from their parents and counselors.  The successful percentage of transfer portal players has been posted several times by others than me.  These kids need to look at the numbers.  My take away is how poorly students today understand math.  

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I looked in the portal early this morning and did not see Marousek liste.  Maybe I did a poor search.  

I predicted this transfer a couple of months ago and got beat up by the Nation.  As I said at the time, I would not be surprised if Jankowski also transfers.  

These players have got to learn that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.  The top players from the top programs can transfer at will, but most MAC players cannot always find a better situation.  As I posted in the past, these players need to get some good leadership and advice from their parents and counselors.  The successful percentage of transfer portal players has been posted several times by others than me.  These kids need to look at the numbers.  My take away is how poorly students today understand math.  

Go Zips!!!

We probably shouldn't assume that it wasn't suggested he leave or he simply wants to go somewhere he'll play (like FCS or D2). We were his only FBS offer and he hasn't came close to sniffing the field in his time here. Considering that, I find it hard to believe he thinks he's going to find another opportunity at the FBS level.

I have zero issue with a likely career bench warmer moving on. Best of luck to him.

Edited by LZIp

18 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Based on what I saw at the Spring game, I would have thought Jankowski would be in the portal before Marousek. I though Marousek looked pretty good in the game.

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Go Zips!!!

I heartily concur with your last sentence.

I would wager that 99% of them could not answer a simple math question such as what is the third derivative of 5X(raised to the 4th power).

Which reminds me, it's a shame we can't post superscripts on ZipsNation.

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Go Zips!!!

I can’t speak to Jankowski as I missed him play in the first half, but like I mentioned earlier, I was surprised by the lack of zip Marousek had on his passes. He got the ball to his receivers well enough, but we would likely struggle if he had to play meaningful minutes for an extended amount of time. Irons has the ability to make most throws, but he’s inconsistent. We definitely need another talented QB to compete with Irons for starting minutes. 

You’re right about the portal. It isn’t going to work out for hundreds of players. Spots are at a premium with the 85 scholarship limit being restored. Sooner or later, the portal will gain some balance as we are seeing an extreme version of transfers this year.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, catdaddyp said:

Since we don’t receive as much news as we should from the Akron outlets, I’m going to do a position by position preview of the roster. All of the previews will be based on my opinion of the player fit within the new schemes, the games I watched on tv last year, and any film I can find online. Feel free to jump in and say where I may have missed something.

DJ Irons - (Redshirt Junior, Returning) - The clear cut #1 QB going into spring ball. He has pro style height, a strong arm, and flashes ample ability to be a weapon in the run game. He’s the ideal QB for a Moorhead offense. As with all QBs, the question will be how quickly he can pick up the mental aspects of the offense and then apply them to the field.

Ryan Jankowski - (Sophomore, Returning) - Left handed QB, who demonstrates excellent pocket awareness. He doesn’t seem to possess as much natural arm strength as some of the other QBs on the roster and his throwing motion is inconsistent.

Dijon Jennings - (Freshman, New) - Great athlete and very elusive. Jennings would most likely develop into a dynamic wide receiver if the QB position didn’t work out. His throwing motion is inconsistent, but he flashes the ability to keep plays alive with his feet. Did not enroll early and go through spring ball.

Calvin Cloud - (Sophomore, Returning) - Pro style QB with decent arm strength. In-state player that doesn’t have the type of mobility to flourish in a Moorhead offense. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see another QB transfer in - and one transfer out - before the season starts. If Irons goes down, or struggles, will any of the backups be able to replace him effectively for an extended period of time?

Edited:

Removed Joey Marousek

Bump for Joey Marousek’s removal. Hopefully, we’ll receive news of a talented QB transferring in soon.

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'd be shocked if not Irons to start the season. The end of the season could be anyone's guess between him and Undercuffler.

So Undercuffler appears more talented & a better thrower but Iorns is the system guy. As a secondary Michigan fan I know this all too well w/ Cade & JJ lol

2 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

So Undercuffler appears more talented & a better thrower but Iorns is the system guy. As a secondary Michigan fan I know this all too well w/ Cade & JJ lol

I think Irons is talented (and definitely the system guy). He just has to be more consistent than last season and stay healthy. If Undercuffler gets a chance during the season..which I think he will whether it be a blowout, Irons injury, or Irons bench, its hard to tell where it goes from there. He may come in and light it up like he did his freshman season or he may not quite be ready for FBS ball.

No matter what, we took a big step up in QB depth even though Undercuffler may not be the ideal system QB.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I think Irons is talented (and definitely the system guy). He just has to be more consistent than last season and stay healthy. If Undercuffler gets a chance during the season..which I think he will whether it be a blowout, Irons injury, or Irons bench, its hard to tell where it goes from there. He may come in and light it up like he did his freshman season or he may not quite be ready for FBS ball.

No matter what, we took a big step up in QB depth even though Undercuffler may not be the ideal system QB.

Spot on. Great assessment!

I believe that the major area for improvement in Irons' game will be in his decision making.  Hopefully, the staff's guidance and a year under his belt will pay dividends in that regard as he has the physical tools to be successful.  Eliminate those "what in the hell was he thinking" moments and he'll be solid.    

• Like 3

Clark, l tend to agree with you.  I feel ball security has been an issue.  Both decision making and security issues could go away with maturity.  If he develops confidence in himself and THOSE around him, maybe he won't try to do too much on his own.  From a distance, that seems to be the issue.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

What is the plan for Dijon Jennings at this point, I wonder. 

He's nothing spectacular. I watched him play against an average Massillon team and I wasn't impressed. Didn't even look like the best player on an 0-10 team but I don't watch as critically as most. 

27 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

He’ll be a true freshman so I imagine the staff will look to either him or Wasel in a couple years after Irons/Undercuffler are gone. Probably no plans to play him this year unless needed.

37 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Im sure he’s still a QB. There was never much chance of him playing this year outside of a rash of injuries. He’ll be behind the other QBs in picking up the offense and in experience. With so much of the QB position being mental, it’s not always easy to project who will pan out. 

My guess is he’ll redshirt and potentially be asked to move to WR is he doesn’t show progress by the end of the year. Assuming Wasel stays committed, we are likely to have a competitive QB group in 2023. At least that’s my hope, as I’m going off the assumption Irons and Undercuffler will make strides in 2022.

We’ll probably add one more QB to the roster for 2022, but who knows if that’ll be by scholarship or walk-on.

Edited by catdaddyp

If you look at the roster, we are down to 3 QB''s, Irons, Jankowski, and Jennings.  Undercuffler raises the number to 4.  If you look at FBS rosters, most schools have more than four scholarship QB's.  I think we are playing with fire with this number of QB's.  As everyone in sports says, QB is the most important position in all of sports.  

Coach JoeMo - help me trust we are good with these numbers.  

Thanks for the replies, fellas! That was my thinking. With Irons and then Undercuffler now here, and with Wasser coming in next season (I hope that sticks), I wonder if Jennings will ever have much time as a QB, or will he switch to a new position (WR). Anything could happen, of course. I don't know much about him, but was excited to see him signed. 

Regardless, the group of QB's we have now, and coming in, have me feeling pretty good. Wasser is a GREAT get. 

• Like 1