Position Preview (and updates) - Offensive Line

catdaddyp

52 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Can you cut and paste that one, I’m interested in the guys up front, the place on both offense & defense we need the most improvement 

Really wasn't much in this one as some others IMO. I'm having trouble copying the article, but these are the guys mentioned:

“A lot of guys, really more than five guys, had a really good offseason. Xavior Gray, Jordan Daniels, Nate Williams, Alex Robarge,” he said. “All of those guys had a really good offseason in terms of the weight room, accountability, culture, all of those things.”

And there’s Banes, who played tackle at Houston.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, catdaddyp said:

The position battles along the offensive line will be interesting to watch throughout the year. There are some players with experience who will no longer be the most talented at their position when the 2022 recruits arrive. It’ll be a juggling act by the new offensive line coach to find the best combination, as Coach Moorhead’s system is most efficient with lineman that run well and possess a high level of agility.

Ryan Beckman - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior lineman. He doesn’t have ideal height or length, but is strong and aggressive. Brings center to guard value.

Ronan Chambers - (Sophomore, Returning) - True offensive tackle that exhibits good feet and the ability to pull. He has ideal height and should continue to develop and see playing time. Chambers will be an asset with his pulling ability in coach Moorhead’s offense.

Jordan Daniels - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle that can get to the second level when needed. Possesses long arms and a frame to add more mass.

Tony Georges - (Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior lineman that is strong and has some agility. He doesn’t have ideal height, but he brings center to guard value.

Xavior Gray - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Massive offensive tackle. He has size and length that can’t be taught. Displays strength and the capability to get to the second level. Gray has excellent balance, but the ability to pull is not a strength of his.

Caleb Herring - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle. He has decent strength and quick enough feet, but his balance isn’t as good as it should be. Herring tends to stumble and struggle with change of direction and resetting.

Brian Kilbane - (Redshirt Freshman, Returning) - Former transfer from Bowling Green that is strong, agile, and aggressive. He has the ability to get to the second level and pull. Kilbane plays with a nasty streak and he may push for starting time by the end of the season. He has the skill and size to play anywhere on the OL. 

Colin Lyons - (Sophomore, Returning) - Interior lineman who plays violently. He fires out of his stance quickly and looks to demolish anyone in front of him. Lyons also played defensive end in high school, demonstrating power and agility. He can get to the second level and pull. Lyons brings center to guard value and may push for starting minutes by the end of the year.

Owen Murphy - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle that has good feet and long arms. He has the ability to pull and get to the second level. Murphy needs to get stronger and work on technique, but the talent is there to be a solid offensive tackle.

Alex Robarge - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. He displays the ability to get to the second level, but his pulling capacity is questionable as he’s a labored runner.

Canaan Sheets - (Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior offensive lineman that brings center to guard value. Better in pass pro than run blocking. Could provide depth. 

Nate Williams - (Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. He has long arms and exhibits some agility as he also played defensive tackle in high school. Williams displays the ability to get to the second level and has enough foot speed and balance to be an effective puller.

Max Banes - (Redshirt Junior, New) - Transfer from Houston where he was a part-time starter. Banes brings Guard to Tackle value to Akron. He has excellent size, demonstrates great feet, and runs extremely well for an offensive lineman. He should be a starter from day one.

Tyhler Williams - (Freshman, New) - Underrated interior lineman that brings Center to Guard value. Williams has been well coached at the high school level and should be ready to contribute as a freshman. He’s very agile, strong, and uses leverage well. 

Keylen Davis - (Freshman, New) - Wide bodied interior lineman that is strong and agile. Davis brings an aggressive mindset and is looking to pancake defenders at every opportunity. He brings Center to Guard value and is the one of most physically ready OL to compete for minutes in the prep class.

Ka’Marri Landers - (Freshman, New) - Big bodied lineman that is unusually mobile for a player his size. He’s an extremely underrated offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. Landing a player out of high school with Landers talent and ability is huge. Once he adjusts to the speed of D1 football, he’ll become a stalwart on the offensive line and has the potential to develop into an all MAC player.

Jourden Hale - (Freshman, New) - Massive offensive tackle that overpowered defensive linemen at the high school level. Hale exhibits excellent size, balance, and aggressiveness. He’ll need to work on his technique, and tune up his body, before he starts contributing on a consistent basis.

Anthony Whigan - (Redshirt Senior, New) - Transfer from Penn State. Whigan is an athletic lineman that is versatile enough to play anywhere on the OL. He’s agile, powerful, and runs extremely well. He’ll be a starter somewhere on the OL by the time the 2022 season begins.

This group will probably struggle against Michigan State and Tennessee, but should be able to hold their own against the rest of the schedule. Having a mobile quarterback, a scheme that is designed to get the ball out quickly, and (hopefully) a strong running back corp, should assist the offensive line and help them look like a solid group.

One thing is for sure, the caliber of offensive lineman the new staff is recruiting is a step above - as a whole - what the former staff targeted.

Best guess as to who is on scholarship:

Hale

Landers

Davis

T. Williams

Banes

Lyons

Chambers

N. Williams

Georges

Murphy

Daniels

Herring 

Gray

Beckman

Kilbane

Robarge

Whigan

Let me know what I may have missed!

Edited with the addition of Whigan.

Bump for the addition of Whigan.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, catdaddyp said:

The position battles along the offensive line will be interesting to watch throughout the year. There are some players with experience who will no longer be the most talented at their position when the 2022 recruits arrive. It’ll be a juggling act by the new offensive line coach to find the best combination, as Coach Moorhead’s system is most efficient with lineman that run well and possess a high level of agility.

Ryan Beckman - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior lineman. He doesn’t have ideal height or length, but is strong and aggressive. Brings center to guard value.

Ronan Chambers - (Sophomore, Returning) - True offensive tackle that exhibits good feet and the ability to pull. He has ideal height and should continue to develop and see playing time. Chambers will be an asset with his pulling ability in coach Moorhead’s offense.

Jordan Daniels - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle that can get to the second level when needed. Possesses long arms and a frame to add more mass.

Tony Georges - (Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior lineman that is strong and has some agility. He doesn’t have ideal height, but he brings center to guard value.

Xavior Gray - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Massive offensive tackle. He has size and length that can’t be taught. Displays strength and the capability to get to the second level. Gray has excellent balance, but the ability to pull is not a strength of his.

Caleb Herring - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle. He has decent strength and quick enough feet, but his balance isn’t as good as it should be. Herring tends to stumble and struggle with change of direction and resetting.

Brian Kilbane - (Redshirt Freshman, Returning) - Former transfer from Bowling Green that is strong, agile, and aggressive. He has the ability to get to the second level and pull. Kilbane plays with a nasty streak and he may push for starting time by the end of the season. He has the skill and size to play anywhere on the OL. 

Colin Lyons - (Sophomore, Returning) - Interior lineman who plays violently. He fires out of his stance quickly and looks to demolish anyone in front of him. Lyons also played defensive end in high school, demonstrating power and agility. He can get to the second level and pull. Lyons brings center to guard value and may push for starting minutes by the end of the year.

Owen Murphy - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive tackle that has good feet and long arms. He has the ability to pull and get to the second level. Murphy needs to get stronger and work on technique, but the talent is there to be a solid offensive tackle.

Alex Robarge - (Redshirt Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. He displays the ability to get to the second level, but his pulling capacity is questionable as he’s a labored runner.

Canaan Sheets - (Sophomore, Returning) - Wide bodied interior offensive lineman that brings center to guard value. Better in pass pro than run blocking. Could provide depth. 

Nate Williams - (Sophomore, Returning) - Big offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. He has long arms and exhibits some agility as he also played defensive tackle in high school. Williams displays the ability to get to the second level and has enough foot speed and balance to be an effective puller.

Max Banes - (Redshirt Junior, New) - Transfer from Houston where he was a part-time starter. Banes brings Guard to Tackle value to Akron. He has excellent size, demonstrates great feet, and runs extremely well for an offensive lineman. He should be a starter from day one.

Tyhler Williams - (Freshman, New) - Underrated interior lineman that brings Center to Guard value. Williams has been well coached at the high school level and should be ready to contribute as a freshman. He’s very agile, strong, and uses leverage well. 

Keylen Davis - (Freshman, New) - Wide bodied interior lineman that is strong and agile. Davis brings an aggressive mindset and is looking to pancake defenders at every opportunity. He brings Center to Guard value and is the one of most physically ready OL to compete for minutes in the prep class.

Ka’Marri Landers - (Freshman, New) - Big bodied lineman that is unusually mobile for a player his size. He’s an extremely underrated offensive lineman that brings guard to tackle value. Landing a player out of high school with Landers talent and ability is huge. Once he adjusts to the speed of D1 football, he’ll become a stalwart on the offensive line and has the potential to develop into an all MAC player.

Jourden Hale - (Freshman, New) - Massive offensive tackle that overpowered defensive linemen at the high school level. Hale exhibits excellent size, balance, and aggressiveness. He’ll need to work on his technique, and tune up his body, before he starts contributing on a consistent basis.

Anthony Whigan - (Redshirt Senior, New) - Transfer from Penn State. Whigan is an athletic lineman that is versatile enough to play anywhere on the OL. He’s agile, powerful, and runs extremely well. He’ll be a starter somewhere on the OL by the time the 2022 season begins.

This group will probably struggle against Michigan State and Tennessee, but should be able to hold their own against the rest of the schedule. Having a mobile quarterback, a scheme that is designed to get the ball out quickly, and (hopefully) a strong running back corp, should assist the offensive line and help them look like a solid group.

One thing is for sure, the caliber of offensive lineman the new staff is recruiting is a step above - as a whole - what the former staff targeted.

Best guess as to who is on scholarship:

Hale

Landers

Davis

T. Williams

Banes

Lyons

Chambers

N. Williams

Georges

Murphy

Daniels

Herring 

Gray

Beckman

Kilbane

Robarge

Whigan

Edited with depth chart coming out of spring ball.

LT

1) Daniels

2) Gray

LG
1) Banes

2) Lyons

C

1) Georges

2) Beckman

RG

1) Robarge

2) Kilbane

RT

1) Williams

2) Chambers

Bump for spring depth chart update.

Just now, Blue & Gold said:

Do we have a depth chart update? With a split squad could you tell who the likely #1's were?

Not official. I could be wrong, but using context clues. When asked about how the teams were split up today, Moorhead said he tried to keep certain players together for consistency - or something along those lines. Makes the most sense for the OL. It’s common to keep the 1st team OL and 2nd team OL together for the spring games regardless of the format.

9 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Not official. I could be wrong, but using context clues. When asked about how the teams were split up today, Moorhead said he tried to keep certain players together for consistency - or something along those lines. Makes the most sense for the OL. It’s common to keep the 1st team OL and 2nd team OL together for the spring games regardless of the format.

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Do we have a depth chart update? With a split squad could you tell who the likely #1's were?

Ones look to be the following:

LT.   Grey

LG.  Banes

C.    Georges 

RG.  Robarge 

RT.   Williams 

Twos looked like the following:

LT.  Daniels

LG.  Lyons

C.    Beckman

RG.  Kilbane

RT.  Chambers 

Things to note:  In second half of spring game they switched Daniels into the ones for Grey.  Makes me think there is still a position battle going on there.  Will be curious where Penn State transfer Whigan will play when he arrives.  Gotta think he will challenge for a starting position somewhere.

Line looked decent today.  Irons had all day to pass and never took off and ran which was very un-Irons like from last year.  However, his throws seemed to be late an multiple plays.   The offensive did not run the ball much so it was difficult to tell how well the OL was run blocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

Ones look to be the following:

LT.   Grey

LG.  Banes

C.    Georges 

RG.  Robarge 

RT.   Williams 

Twos looked like the following:

LT.  Daniels

LG.  Lyons

C.    Beckman

RG.  Kilbane

RT.  Chambers 

Things to note:  In second half of spring game they switched Daniels into the ones for Grey.  Makes me think there is still a position battle going on there.  Will be curious where Penn State transfer Whigan will play when he arrives.  Gotta think he will challenge for a starting position somewhere.

Line looked decent today.  Irons had all day to pass and never took off and ran which was very un-Irons like from last year.  However, his throws seemed to be late an multiple plays.   The offensive did not run the ball much so it was difficult to tell how well the OL was run blocking.

I suspect Whigan will get a long look at LT. Gray and Daniels may prove to struggle against the quicker edge rushers we’ll face. 

I really like the depth on the OL. I only saw the second half, but I didn’t see too much difference between the two OLs as far as production. Like you mentioned, it was mostly passes and very few of the RPOs went for runs.

Edit: Forgot to add - Although our QBs looked good at times, I’ve joined the camp about the need to bring in another competitor in that room. Irons may have the arm strength to make most throws, but he needs to be more consistent. 

Edited by catdaddyp

7 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Don’t forget Murphy had off season surgery, he started at left tackle most of last season

That is a good point.  He must still be recovering as he did not play and was wearing a red jersey.  Definitely have some depth now, regardless of how things shake out before the start of season. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Where is @Football grandma to chime in on the OL?

Ahh... you've missed me! I haven't had a chance to study the OL as I need to before commenting. I'll pop into chat after I've done my in-depth analysis. Basically, I'm more concerned about the DL which contributed to the lopsided scores of last season. Hopefully, the returnees will be bigger, stronger, and better coached. Defense is the key to a winning season, I think. Can't let a team outscore you by 20-30 points by halftime and expect to win. Keep the score close to give your offense a reason to bust their butts to win. Even blind squirrels find acorns when they're highly motivated. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We have 19 offensive linemen on the roster. 17 of them are either Sophomores or Freshmen. 

This is a topic that has come up many times in the past.

Another point to remember is the following, again not a new point.  6 of the OL are R-So.  With the redshirt year and Covid year, 2022 is their fourth season, so they should have experience.  Add Whigen and Banes, and Akron has experience on the offensive line.  They recruited several good freshman in the 22 class, and they have 2 good recruits in the 23 class.  I agree with blueandgold, 'Great for the future'.  

Go Zips!!!

58 minutes ago, bigjim said:

This is a topic that has come up many times in the past.

Another point to remember is the following, again not a new point.  6 of the OL are R-So.  With the redshirt year and Covid year, 2022 is their fourth season, so they should have experience.  Add Whigen and Banes, and Akron has experience on the offensive line.  They recruited several good freshman in the 22 class, and they have 2 good recruits in the 23 class.  I agree with blueandgold, 'Great for the future'.  

Go Zips!!!

The following link indicates Penn State doesn't think they lost much with the Whigan transfer.

Didn't play much and when he did it was mostly on special teams

Although can you really trust someone who ends this article with the following two sentences

"Whigan will have three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Zips. He will have just the one final season of eligibility with Akron."

Edited by Zipmeister

5 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

The following link indicates Penn State doesn't think they lost much with the Whigan transfer.

I figured Whigan was not getting playing time at PS.  That is likely why he transferred.   Whether he pans out as a starter or not, he should provide depth which we have been lacking. I feel the OL should be an area of strength this year with our young players maturing and with additions like Banes and others....

26 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Although can you really trust someone who ends this article with the following two sentences

"Whigan will have three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Zips. He will have just the one final season of eligibility with Akron."

And you think Whigam was bad, according to this link our other Penn State transfer wasn't even on their roster at the time he entered the portal!

Must be nice to throw your deserters under the bus