New Volleyball Head Coach

LoyalZIP

Tyson Norton. Lot's of experience out west. Hopefully the Zips can eventually compete in the MAC with him. VB isn't my favorite sport, but it's fun to get into the JAR early in the fall for a few evenings while it's still nice out.

https://gozips.com/news/2022/4/7/womens-volleyball-tyson-norton-named-ua-head-volleyball-coach.aspx

• Like 1

I did not see a notice that Hanna was fired. It was common knowledge that Hanna was gone after this season. He was a guy that was not well liked in the athletic dept. He never owned his performance, always blaming others and circumstances. Guthrie had tired of his act a long time ago, but gave him time to change his (Guthrie's) mind. Hanna merely reenforced the decision to part ways as soon as possible.

Any change is a welcome change, but Guthrie tells all his coaches that if you can't consistently get to the top three in the MAC your job is not safe. I like those expectations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I did not see a notice that Hanna was fired. It was common knowledge that Hanna was gone after this season. He was a guy that was not well liked in the athletic dept. He never owned his performance, always blaming others and circumstances. Guthrie had tired of his act a long time ago, but gave him time to change his (Guthrie's) mind. Hanna merely reenforced the decision to part ways as soon as possible.

Any change is a welcome change, but Guthrie tells all his coaches that if you can't consistently get to the top three in the MAC your job is not safe. I like those expectations.

Well said. Hanna was a nice guy and I’ve enjoyed all my interactions with him. But any time they began trailing in games, he would do all he could to interrupt the officials and blame them, extending the game with delays for no reason, challenging plays that aren’t close. All for I think just one conference tournament appearance. It was past time. 

4th coach since...2007?  And this is the 3rd with roots in SoCal.  I suspect the VB program is the "runt of the litter" in Akron women's sports -- at least even with soccer (which reminds me...is Noreen still the coach?? 😒).  Investment is needed beyond coaching!

• Like 1

I've been told she is not returning. She and Hanna are the poster couple for underachievement. Guthrie will invest when he has the right leadership in place at each program. 

• Like 1