Portal Offers

1 minute ago, catdaddyp said:

Absolutely. NCAA put the portal windows in place for attempted relief, but recruiting is still happening, just not directly through the player until the window opening. The offshoot to the portal is it has limited spots for high school players. Most schools are now taking only about 1/2 to 2/3 of a class of high school players. I’m blown away by the amount of high school kids still holding out for better offers when they aren’t likely to come. 

I was also thinking that the portal may necessitate coaching staffs adding an additional coach just to monitor the portal?   It seems like the coaches would now need to be keeping tabs on every college player in the nation so that if/when they enter the portal you already know about them & whether or not you're interested so you can quickly offer them a scholarship?  Maybe they've already been doing this all along? Idk. But with so many players entering the portal it's flooded and to me seems downright overwhelming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was also thinking that the portal may necessitate coaching staffs adding an additional coach just to monitor the portal?   It seems like the coaches would now need to be keeping tabs on every college player in the nation so that if/when they enter the portal you already know about them & whether or not you're interested so you can quickly offer them a scholarship?  Maybe they've already been doing this all along? Idk. But with so many players entering the portal it's flooded and to me seems downright overwhelming.

Yep, most schools do have staff members that monitor portal activity. The only restrictions concerning adding coaches to the staff is whether or not they are considered “on field coaches.” Those spots are limited. Outside of that, a coaching staff can be as big as the budget allows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

It seems like the portal must be putting a lot more work on football coaching staffs' plates.  No more simply recruiting high school kids every year.

Also, you pretty much have to keep "recruiting" guys on your own roster that you want to keep because if not they may transfer elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Also, you pretty much have to keep "recruiting" guys on your own roster that you want to keep because if not they may transfer elsewhere.

Indeed. Seems like it's going to add a significant amount of constant butt kissing.  To me the portal sounds like it would be exhausting for coaches.

35 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Indeed. Seems like it's going to add a significant amount of constant butt kissing.  To me the portal sounds like it would be exhausting for coaches.

ICYMI, Brian Kelly is a Grade A ass kisser between his southern accent and dance moves like this. Pat McAfee talks constantly about how exhausting it must be for college coaches to maintain the recruitment of top guys, having to jump through hoops like this for 17 year olds. This is what recruiting is at the top level and it's nauseating. 

Side note, the amount of talent that is suppressed between COVID and the transfer portal is massive. This really should benefit Akron and G5 schools quite well over time. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

ICYMI, Brian Kelly is a Grade A ass kisser between his southern accent and dance moves like this. Pat McAfee talks constantly about how exhausting it must be for college coaches to maintain the recruitment of top guys, having to jump through hoops like this for 17 year olds. This is what recruiting is at the top level and it's nauseating. 

Side note, the amount of talent that is suppressed between COVID and the transfer portal is massive. This really should benefit Akron and G5 schools quite well over time. 

Agreed. The portal's going to even things out.

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm fairly certain that kid ended up choosing a different school too

53 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Over/under 10 Zip entrees the first day?

Predictions? I’ll throw out a couple names, without looking at the roster. 

QB Dijon Jennings—behind Jankowski on the depth chart is telling if you ask me, especially with Wasel coming in. 

TE Tristian Brank—one of the better Arth guys. About on level with TJ Banks, but could soon get lost in the passing game in another year

A couple WR not named Alex Adams or Daniel George. Perhaps Anthony Williams hits the portal once again. Caleb Anderson seems like a nice prospect, hopefully he sticks around. Could see Tony Grimes leaving, the staff seems to be more bullish on Bobby Golden. 

LB Andrew Behm—Arther, doesn’t belong here. Had a moment or two. 

RB Jonzell Norrils—another Arther that perhaps on a far worse roster stood out more. It’s a shame because I was really excited about him when he committed. 

OT Xavior Grah—incredible size, incredible ineptitude. Great human who has a great future. 

4 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

@LoyalZIPI think the rules now allow players to use the portal once without sitting out a year at the new school. This may keep players like Anthony Williams here rather than using the portal.

Correct. If Ant transferred again he'd have to sit a year. I'm still surprised at how little he saw the field this year.

6 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Grad transfers don’t have to sit either. So players could technically transfer twice without sitting. Possibly three times if granted a waiver.

This may give multiple transferees a shot at tenure somewhere down the road which, once obtained, entitles the player to a position for life. No wait, that's only for faculty unless some football mill has incorporated it into their NIL compensation package.