Portal Offers

I'm a little worried about the fact we're losing almost our entire starting DL.  DE's: Victor Jones & Zach Morton and DT Curtis Harper.

I believe Rayvonte Holt is coming back as a 6th-year senior.

Our DL was... okay at best. So I'm concerned about players taking over next year who were unable to beat them out this year.

Anyway, just saying I hope the TP brings us some immediate help for the DL.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, kreed5120 said:

Also, you pretty much have to keep "recruiting" guys on your own roster that you want to keep because if not they may transfer elsewhere.

I have a good friend who is very connected in baseball circles.  His friend, a college head coach, had one of his players come to him to tell him he was considering entering the portal.  The coach told him "I've recruited you once, I am not doing it a second time" and gave him directions to the door!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm a little worried about the fact we're losing almost our entire starting DL.  DE's: Victor Jones & Zach Morton and DT Curtis Harper.

Our DL was... okay at best. So I'm concerned about players taking over next year who were unable to beat them out this year.

Considering JoeMo was pretty transparent about our roster being FCS level at best when he took over, and the staff only having half the time to recruit last year's class, I'm confident the guys we brought in were a planned stop-gap. The transfer portal right now is NUTS, and full of P5 talent. The high school recruits are going to be heavily suppressed by the amount of Portal activity. I fully expect our DL to be retooled and better than last year - and that expectation expands to our entire defense and offensive line. 

I don't know if there's a single position on this roster that couldn't use a transfer to establish more experience. WR is the only one I feel confident about going into next year (and somewhat QB). 

52 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m anxious to see how it all shakes out. Holt, Thomas, and Murphy give us a really nice starting point at DT. Same with Johnson at DE. Do guys like Robinson, Wilson, Fann, and Lawson continue to develop and live up to their potential? Or will we see a few of them hit the portal too? Regardless, just looking at the offers we already know about, we should be more explosive along the DL next year. Im sure we’ll land our fair share of playmakers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I’m anxious to see how it all shakes out. Holt, Thomas, and Murphy give us a really nice starting point at DT. Same with Johnson at DE. Do guys like Robinson, Wilson, Fann, and Lawson continue to develop and live up to their potential? Or will we see a few of them hit the portal too? Regardless, just looking at the offers we already know about, we should be more explosive along the DL next year. Im sure we’ll land our fair share of playmakers. 

Ravontae Holt - 6-4, 300

Kyle Thomas - 6-3, 295

Kiawan Murphy - 6-3, 325

Ryan Johnson - 6-4, 250

That's already a FBS-sized DL.  If we can keep them all from the portal. All will be upperclassmen save Murphy, who will be a R-Fr.  Don't know what we're getting in Murphy but JoeMo was high on him. 

He'll almost certainly redshirt, but we're also adding DT Marcus Moore (6-2, 300) from Massillon Washington. I saw Massillon's game against St. Ed's & he's a big reason Massillon won. Even with St. Ed's huge OL they couldn't run up the middle on Massillon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ziptrumpet87 said:

Curious why the Twitter posts aren't showing for me. 

I've also been having problems with the "next" page button not working either.

This happens using Chrome on either my phone and laptop.

I am having the same problem as well as not being able to "like" a post. Not sure what the problem is.

Still expecting some more Zips to hit the portal. If my math is correct, only 10 or 11 scholarships are being freed up by the players who walked at senior day and we currently have 14 freshmen coming in. If the expectation is to take 10-15 players from the portal, then another 10(ish) or so players (in addition to the current portal entries) will need to find new homes.

Edited by catdaddyp

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Still expecting some more Zips to hit the portal. If my math is correct, only 10 or 11 scholarships are being freed up by the players who walked at senior day and we currently have 14 freshmen coming in. If the expectation is to take 10-15 players from the portal, then another 10(ish) or so players (in addition to the current portal entries) will need to find new homes.

Were we at the full allotment of 85 scholarship players heading into this season? I thought @LZIp in the past had tracked that and we have been in the 70-75 range in previous years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Now you are allowed 25 plus up to 7 to replenish players leaving in the portal for up to 32 but still have 85 cap

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Were we at the full allotment of 85 scholarship players heading into this season? I thought @LZIp in the past had tracked that and we have been in the 70-75 range in previous years.

Pretty sure we got up to the full 85 by end of year. A few guys like Durant and Hester were put on scholarship during the year. Can’t remember who else though.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

Just now, 94zipgrad said:

Now you are allowed 25 plus up to 7 to replenish players leaving in the portal for up to 32 but still have 85 cap

JoeMo said that on one of his call in shows, but I think he was mistaken. That was for 2022. Any number of scholarships can be given out for 2023-2024, but each FBS team must get down to the 85 limit.

22 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

JoeMo said that on one of his call in shows, but I think he was mistaken. That was for 2022. Any number of scholarships can be given out for 2023-2024, but each FBS team must get down to the 85 limit.

That’s crazy to me. It’s just a temporary rule though right?

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We were at 85 this year with the help of players being in school an extra year and the allowance of replacing up to 7 guys who enter the TP, giving us a max of 32 rather than 25. You’re correct about the numbers from prior years though. 10+ under during Arth era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LZIp said:

That’s crazy to me. It’s just a temporary rule though right?

Temporary for now, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it stay this way. New head coaches taking over programs in their first year usually wouldn’t be able to fill their 85 scholarships due to the amount of attrition. This rule allows them to get up to 85 scholarships in year 1.