Portal Offers

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

We are hitting FCS schools hard. 

It may have something to do with the transfer portal not officially open for FBS players. They can announce their entries, but I believe the official open date is December 5th. If I’m not mistaken, contacting and offering a player directly would be a violation until the portal window opens. I don’t think that applies to players who have been kicked off or have already left their schools. Of course, we’re going to see many commitments the day of the portal opening due to all the alternate communication that’s already happening. 

As far as offering so many FCS kids, I don’t have an issue with it if they can immediately help. There are definitely some really good players at that level. Just a matter of finding the right ones.

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Coach Renna, who coached Jordan Vincent at Eastern Illinois, has extended an offer. Figured this offer was coming once I saw Vincent hit the portal.

Eastern Illinois Fighting Tony Romos. 5'10" DB (Safety?) with 2 years of eligibility left. Also received an offer from NMSU upon quick review. 

16 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Eastern Illinois Fighting Tony Romos. 5'10" DB (Safety?) with 2 years of eligibility left. Also received an offer from NMSU upon quick review. 

Yep, he’s a safety. He’d probably also get a long look at Nickel too. Since Jerry Kill took over at NMSU, we have offered many of the same players. Expect that to continue as he has proven to have an eye for talent and connections to the Midwest.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Edge/OLB Sebastian Benjamin of St. Francis has been offered. Zips fans may recall #9 giving us all kinds of issues in Game 1. As a reminder, he collected 3 sacks that game.

Love this. High motor. 6'4" 230 lbs.

By the way, SFU had a nice 9-3 season. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Based on twitter activity, the staff appears to be going after Luke Altmyer (transfer from Ole Miss).

https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Altmyer-46050393/high-school-218854/

Wouldn’t be surprised. He’s a player JoeMo recruited out of high school. Also expect the staff to at least reach out to Oregon 4 star WR Dont’e Thornton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Towson DL Jesus Gibbs received an offer. He’s a former South Carolina commitment from the 2018 class as an OL, but played both ways in high school. Gibbs eventually made his way to Towson.

2 years of eligibility. Guy's a playmaker. 44 tackles, 8 TFL, 5 sacks this year. 6'4" 265 lbs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I kind of just expect the portal to keep growing and growing. It wouldn't surprise me if each of the next 5 or so years sets the new record for transfers by beating the previous years total.

If the portal we around 25 years ago, Jason Taylor would have gone to the HOF as a Panther, not a Zip.

I love that kids like Jacque-Louis and Whigan get a chance to play as starters before their eligibility expires. But it’s sad to see guys like the St Francis kid bolt the program that gave him a shot when no one else did.

I’m sure there are “overlooked “ D3 kids bolting for FCS that offset the FCS kids bolting for G5, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

It seems like the portal must be putting a lot more work on football coaching staffs' plates.  No more simply recruiting high school kids every year.

Absolutely. NCAA put the portal windows in place for attempted relief, but recruiting is still happening, just not directly through the player until the window opening. The offshoot to the portal is it has limited spots for high school players. Most schools are now taking only about 1/2 to 2/3 of a class of high school players. I’m blown away by the amount of high school kids still holding out for better offers when they aren’t likely to come. 

• Like 1