Scholarship Chart

I did have excuses but it was wrong on both parties in my eyes," Stallworth explained.  "The school didn't notify my parents, notify them that I was coming late."  

He blames the school for not notifying his parents of the 30 tardies? Doesn't he have lunch with mom and pop every-so-often?

"I was wrong for being late, but it won't happen again though," Stallworth told 21 News. 

30th time's a charm?

I am as chronologically challenged as anyone I know...and there are far more egregious offenses college athletes have been charged with over the years than strolling into 1st period a few minutes late...but come on...just admit you have "senioritis" and didn't feel to motivated to get out of bed down the stretch.

Slow news week for the folks at WFMJ to cover this "story." It's Youngstown...aren't there bodies surfacing in the Mahoning river, or Boom Boom Mancini bourbon tastings to tout? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Could you imagine being the intern responsible for updating the 2022 portal? What a thankless, horrible job.

I have been unimpressed with the effort 247 has put into updating the Zips portal activity, but believe I have discovered the problem. 

When the intern in charge of this task is named Jack Squat, you can't expect much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I have been unimpressed with the effort 247 has put into updating the Zips portal activity, but believe I have discovered the problem. 

When the intern in charge of this task is named Jack Squat, you can't expect much.

I have no problem with that name.

Yours truly,

Jack Wagon

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I have no problem with that name.

Yours truly,

Jack Wagon

I meant no disrespect to you or your famous ancestor, the 19th century pioneer, sanitation engineer, and inventor of the Jack Squat Wagon.

• Like 1

I have tremendous respect for the players that choose to stay with the team and don't receive a dime for their work or dedication. Kick off and punting team players, low on the depth chart players who rarely get in the game, permanent fixtures on a practice squad; guts but no glory. Obviously, they bust their butts for the love of the game, the satisfaction of being a Zip, and the selflessness of helping to make their team and mates better. Hats off to the unsung!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

I have tremendous respect for the players that choose to stay with the team and don't receive a dime for their work or dedication. Kick off and punting team players, low on the depth chart players who rarely get in the game, permanent fixtures on a practice squad; guts but no glory. Obviously, they bust their butts for the love of the game, the satisfaction of being a Zip, and the selflessness of helping to make their team and mates better. Hats off to the unsung!

I didn’t do a position group for special teams, but I suppose I should. Maybe as we get closer to the season. I honestly don’t know much about what we have besides Smigel drilling attempt after attempt in the spring game.

57 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

And what about the members of the Zips marching band. They put in just as much practice as any footballer and play in the same weather conditions as the footballers, but what kind of recognition do they get? Do you see any write ups about them in the newspaper or stories on the radio or TV? Have we done a position group analysis by musical instrument for any instrument here? I'll bet even the most ardent Zip fan can name two trumpet players in the Zips marching band. These kids are shining examples of successful multi-taskers what with all the instrument playing and walking they do. My hats off to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Football grandma said:

Exactly my point! Probably even the most ardent Zip fan couldn't name 3 players of which I write.

I did include guys that could potentially play special teams in the position groups. But like @Zipmeister said, we have no way of knowing. The information we receive from the team is limited. I’m just going off of what I’ve seen on film and what I suspect will happen.  We currently have one kicker and one punter listed on the roster, so we’ll have to see how things unfold as we get closer to the season.

Thankfully, we have a great group of posters here that help collect information for us all to view.

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

I love marching bands and I think they are a big part of the college football experience but nobody pays to go watch the band perform (except maybe their parents). 

Probably the same number of people who pay to watch either the down-on-the-depth-chart guys stand on the sidelines during the game or the players who don't even get to dress for the game sit in the stands. That doesn't mean me and Football Grandma can't take our hats off to both them and members of the marching band.

• 1 month later...

Idea of where we stand right now. Cochran, Singleton, Monoghan, and Corner Jr gone from the roster. No real losses, though Cochran was a starter last year and Singleton showed some potential as a true freshman last year. If everybody that we have as committed shows up and is on scholly, we'd technically be one over. Get a better idea once the roster is updated for the season of course.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Too bad about Corner Jr. He wasn't a contributor at this level, but his dad is a Zips great.

Maybe he just decided to move on with life. He was here for a long time and was never more than a back up/special teams player.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Attaching updated scholarship chart per the roster. All newcomers are now listed we are aware of except for Deontae Williams. Maybe he's a greyshirt? As @catdaddyp previously mentioned, Janirr Wade and Juan Jarrett are no longer listed. The scholly chart shows 85 players, but 34 new additions (when I believe the max is 32. Of course, we never claim to be 100% accurate..just strive to be. A thought is that potentially 2 players were medically disqualified and that opened up additional positions. Michael Snowden is one player we know who that happened to.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 9:05 PM, LZIp said:

Attaching updated scholarship chart per the roster. All newcomers are now listed we are aware of except for Deontae Williams. Maybe he's a greyshirt? As @catdaddyp previously mentioned, Janirr Wade and Juan Jarrett are no longer listed. The scholly chart shows 85 players, but 34 new additions (when I believe the max is 32. Of course, we never claim to be 100% accurate..just strive to be. A thought is that potentially 2 players were medically disqualified and that opened up additional positions. Michael Snowden is one player we know who that happened to.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx 14.28 kB · 11 downloads

I counted 14 seniors. Is that right?  Assuming I didn’t miscount I’m guessing we are close to done with the freshmen in the 2023 class, despite so many offers still outstanding. Although I could see another 10-15 guys transferring out after this year, which would open up a few more spots. If that is the case I’d also guess the staff would look to bring in another 5-10 transfers.

Edited by catdaddyp

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

I counted 14 seniors. Is that right?  Assuming I didn’t miscount I’m guessing we are close to done with the freshmen in the 2023 class, despite so many offers still outstanding. Although I could see another 10-15 guys transferring out after this year, which would open up a few more spots. If that is the case I’d also guess the staff would look to bring in another 5-10 transfers.

Looks about right assuming the class listed on GoZips is correct.  I bet we end up bringing in another 10 transfer portal players this year. Still some roster manipulation to do I think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 9:05 PM, LZIp said:

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx 14.28 kB · 12 downloads

Caden Clark is actually a redshirt freshman this year, you have him listed as a sophomore

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

With the spring roster updates (losing Logan Hawkins who I believe wasn't out of eligibility but walked for senior day, Caleb Herring (OL), Adetutu Daranjo (S), Ryan McClain (OLB), and Brycen Yarmo (TE),  I have us down to 82 scholarship players. I'm sure there will be a couple additional leave after spring ball. Our biggest loss thus far to the portal was Tristian Brank. The staff has done a really good job retaining the talent we have on the roster, and we should have 5-6 scholarships to use in the 2nd portal period. With those numbers along with another wave of players who hit after they realize they aren't part of the team's future the upcoming season, I feel really good about the staff addressing the few remaining holes we have, which I would address by adding 2 DE, 1 OL, 1 CB, and maybe 1 LB.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1