Spring Game 2022

catdaddyp

I was able to attend, but only caught the 2nd half. There was so much traffic on the way from Columbus.

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

- The offense is ahead of the defense at this point, but the defense was mostly playing out of its base.

- Offensively, a lot of RPOs and getting the ball out on the perimeter.

- Irons and Marousek had their moments, but also some passes that made you scratch your head.

- Wiley is very strong in the lower body. He’s elusive, hits the hole quickly, and will run through arm tackles.

- Williams looked great catching the ball out of the backfield. He should excel in this offense.

- Singleton and Walker looked sharp running routes and have playmaking ability.

- Defensively, no one really stood out. I probably missed most of the starters in the first half. Part of that was due to the offense getting the ball out quickly and both OLs looked solid.

Blue OL from Left to Right:

Daniels, Banes, Georges, Robarge, Williams

White OL from Left to Right:

Gray, Lyons, Beckman, Kilbane, Chambers

- Defensively, we mostly played a 4 man front with either 1 edge standing or both edge players standing. Due to multiple WRs in almost every set, it was usually a MIKE LB and a WILL LB, with the WILL often matched up against the closest inside WR.

That’s all I have. I would have loved to have something to report from the first half, but alas it wasn’t meant to be.

Spring Game rosters linked below.

https://gozips.com/documents/2022/4/29/fb_springprogram2022.pdf

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love the move by JoeMo. Atmosphere in the field house was great, and the game itself was simple and quick. I thought Irons looked pretty good. Ant Williams and Cam Wiley looked great out of the backfield. Adams and Grimes all over the place in the secondary. Bubba stuck out to me on offense. Norrils could’ve been better. I like the direction of this team, and today was a great day to be a Zip! Hopefully the guys can put a lot of good work in this summer, this is going to be a special few years. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Love the move by JoeMo. Atmosphere in the field house was great, 

There ya go. They were probably wanting the energy of a full house as opposed to an empty Info.  Better for the players' psyches both today and with moving into the off-season.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I did see the TD pass to Gaithings. Gaithings beat his man (I couldn’t see who the DB was) and Marousek hung the ball up there too long. Gaithings made a great adjustment and caught it, while being interfered with. He then took it in for the last 5 yards or so.

I also saw the TD pass to Hester. It was a similar play - maybe even the same play - that was run for Williams earlier. There was a bust on the defensive coverage as Hester was wide open. He made one guy miss and was gone.

Edited by catdaddyp

18 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I did see the TD pass to Gaithings. Gaithings beat his man (I couldn’t see who the DB was) and Marousek hung the ball up there too long. Gaithings made a great adjustment and caught it, while being interred with. He then took it in for the last 5 yards or so.

I also saw the TD pass to Hester. It was a similar play - maybe even the same play - that was run for Williams earlier. There was a bust on the defensive coverage as Hester was wide open. He made one guy miss and was gone.

Typical Spring Game phenomena, on any given play you don't know whether to cheer or to groan. 😂

• Haha 1

Oddly...I don't think you missed a ton.

I think Irons looks good. He throws the ball on a rope. Our DL didn't give him much pressure, so it is tough to determine if his ball security bug-a-boos are in the past. I have to believe a P5 transfer, or a "Dalton Williams 2.0" will be brought in as insurance...or perhaps to start. If we had to rely on Jankowski for any stretch of time in 2022, I'm not too confident we beat anyone outside of Saint Francis. Maybe we could...but it would be a huge risk entering the season with him as our #2.

For the most part the OL fended off the DL. It's to be expected with the Freshman becoming Sophs, and our DL running the aforementioned vanilla schemes.

No one seemed to get hurt. That's a big plus!

Cory Smigel gets game MVP. He may hit some FG's from 41 or even 42 yards this season? 😉

No big, game-breaking runs. It does look like we'll be 4-deep in the backfield. No RB looked slow, or overmatched. 

I think the coolest thing was seeing the former players approach Coaches Ferri and Moorhead after the game and wish them well. Lots of warm hugs, smiles and well-wishes from the former players invited to show up. It was a great homecoming for those guys.

I think the biggest concern going into the fall will be the DL. Not due to anything gleaned from the game...it's just the way it is.

It was just fun to watch some Zips football amongst a "packed house." 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In the first half, did our offense ever line up in any formations with less than 3 WRs? If so, how did our defense align? All I recall seeing in the second half was either 4 WR sets or 3 WRs with 1 TE. We always had 4 players along the defensive line, but it looked like it was typically with 2 players listed as OLBs lined up at edge positions like DEs and one (or both depending on distance) had the traditional DEs bumped inside as DTs. 

I noticed Fann was playing DT in the 2nd half and looked disinterested the majority of the time.

@LoyalZIP @bigjim @Captain Kangaroo

On 5/3/2022 at 4:41 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Cory Smigel gets game MVP. He may hit some FG's from 41 or even 42 yards this season? 😉

This was something that stuck out to me. He hit every attempt right down the middle. I remember the last spring game in the house, we lined up for a game "winning" field goal and it was missed. Bowden had them re-line up with the other kicker. He then proceeded to miss it left as well. That was definitely a precursor for the kicking issues to come.  

During the halftime break, Cory took 3 attempts from the 50. He made 1 and missed the other 2 just short. They were all right down the middle. He was looking very accurate. We will see what happens when he actually has pads on, out in the elements and there is actually something on the line. 

On 5/3/2022 at 5:22 PM, catdaddyp said:

In the first half, did our offense ever line up in any formations with less than 3 WRs? If so, how did our defense align? All I recall seeing in the second half was either 4 WR sets or 3 WRs with 1 TE. We always had 4 players along the defensive line, but it looked like it was typically with 2 players listed as OLBs lined up at edge positions like DEs and one (or both depending on distance) had the traditional DEs bumped inside as DTs. 

I noticed Fann was playing DT in the 2nd half and looked disinterested the majority of the time.

@LoyalZIP @bigjim @Captain Kangaroo

The nature of the event made is really tough to make any detailed evaluations. First...it began early? I arrived a little before 3 pm and had missed the first 10 game minutes. 🙁

The clock ran quickly...no commercial breaks...nuthin'. If you blinked, you missed a play.

No video replay screen. You got one look at a play, and it was at the field-level view of the field house stands. Upper deck of InfoCision  would have been much nicer.

I was constantly flipping through my phone roster trying to match up new players numbers to their names. 

It'll be more informative to attend some of the August practices and scrimmages. I will definitely try to hit some.

• Like 4

"The nature of the event made is really tough to make any detailed evaluations. First...it began early? I arrived a little before 3 pm and had missed the first 10 game minutes. 🙁"

Speaking of starting early.... The surplus sale.   I'm walking into the Info at 145 and there are people walking out with 3/4 bags full of things and the sale was supposed to start at 2:00!   Ugh!