2023 Zips soccer recruits

Top Drawer soccer(TDS) is reporting that the Zips have their first recruit from the class of 2023

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/sima-recruiting-roundup:-may-16-22_aid50813

Class of 2023

D Joshua Hardin (Colorado Rapids) committed to Akron.

From my limited research, this is an outstanding recruit for the Zips.  Young Mr. Hardin is rated 4 stars by TDS...and Joshua is the 53rd ranked player in TDS's class of 2023.

Welcome Joshua Hardin to Zips Nation.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, TennZip said:

Top Drawer soccer(TDS) is reporting that the Zips have their first recruit from the class of 2023

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/sima-recruiting-roundup:-may-16-22_aid50813

Class of 2023

D Joshua Hardin (Colorado Rapids) committed to Akron.

From my limited research, this is an outstanding recruit for the Zips.  Young Mr. Hardin is rated 4 stars by TDS...and Joshua is the 53rd ranked player in TDS's class of 2023.

Welcome Joshua Hardin to Zips Nation.

I have somewhat fallen out of the loop with Akron Soccer recruits since COVID. How do Hardin's rankings compare to recent classes? 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:54 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I have somewhat fallen out of the loop with Akron Soccer recruits since COVID. How do Hardin's rankings compare to recent classes? 

Soccer recruiting has changed greatly since the Porter years.   Akron used to get a decent amount of top 25 to top 50 recruits from 2007 to 2010.  Now, with MLS and MLS Next and foreign leagues. probably 30 out of the top 35 ranked recruits turn pro and do not go to college.   Signing the 53th ranked player is an outstanding coup for zips recruiting.  In the fall 2022 recruiting class, I believe that Stefan Dobrijevic and Levi Stephens are the 2 highest rated recruits.  They are in the range of 89 to 92.  For the fall 2021 recruiting class, I think that GK Mitchell Budler was the highest ranked recruit.    Mitchell was ranked in the high 50's.    I am sure that Joshua Hardin participates in many national soccer events.  It would be tremendous if young Mr. Hardin could convince some other top 100 recruits to come to Akron.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Top Drawer soccer(TDS) is reporting that the Zips have their second recruit from the class of 2023

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/sima-recruiting-roundup:-july-18-24_aid51002

Class of 2023

M Caleb Borneo (Crew SC Academy) committed to Akron.

From my limited research, this is an outstanding recruit for the Zips.  Young Mr. Borneo (will turn 17 on July 20) is rated 4 stars by TDS...and Caleb is the 15th ranked player in TDS's class of 2023.

Welcome Caleb Borneo to Zips Nation.  Also, early happy birthday wishes to Caleb Borneo.

another article from TDS.  Caleb Borneo was selected to be part of the USA Under Mens National team camp

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/roster-announced-for-u19-mnt-camp_aid50744

Jared, Ger and Michael....have landed 2 very highly rated players for the class of 2023.  Keep up the great work, coaches !!!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Blue and Gold, really good find....

Thank you for sharing...

The beacon had a subscriber only article this morning...where they listed the 16 boys soccer players to watch this fall.

This is what they said about Jackson Herbert :

Jackson Herbert, Wadsworth, midfielder, sr.

There may not be a faster player in space than Herbert, who was a Division I second-team All-Ohio selection. The Akron commit led the Grizzlies in scoring with 15 goals and nine assists. He has 38 career goals and 16 assists.

• Like 5

https://news.yahoo.com/wadsworth-senior-jackson-herbert-commits-171530611.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

...“It’s unreal that it’s happening to me now. I’d say they definitely had an edge. If they were going to offer me, I was going to take it on the spot.”

When Akron coach Jared Embick called the outside midfielder into his office to do just that, he really didn’t have to sell the Zips to Herbert. ...

...“It was something I couldn’t turn down,” Herbert said. “I’m really excited about it. You walk in his office and look around and there are national championship trophies, MLS trophies from the players he’s coached. Looking at the desk, you’ve got all these championship rings. It was shocking to say the least. It was unreal.” ...

• Like 2

It is great to see the zips sign another player from FC Cincinnati.  Akron has always done well with players from the Columbus Crew Academy.

I look forward to seeing Ashton Kamdem (FC Cincinnati) play for the zips in fall 2022.  And now, I can look forward to Matt Dreas (FC Cincinnati) joining the zips in fall 2023.

It is good to have 2 MLS teams in Ohio...and it is great to see the zips coaching staff signing good talent from both MLS academies.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Before today, I had never heard of prepsoccer.com

the zips instagram page says that prepsoccer.com has the soccer zips ranked #4 for 2023 recruiting classes

I went to prepsoccer.com but article said that I had to be a premium subscriber to access the article.

article is written by JR Eskilson (he used to do tournament predictions ...and also write articles for top drawer soccer

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChYEC9VjI0b/

• Like 2

Top Drawer soccer says that the zips have two more recruits for the class of 2023.

By my count, that is 7 already.  I do not remember having so many committed more than 12 months away from the next season.

Great jobs by the coaches in recruiting and getting kids committed to Akron

Both young men are rated 3 stars by TDS.  Nathan Ferguson is currently #181 in the country.   He was written up by TDS in April 2022 for having 2 goals in an MLS Next game.

SIMA Recruiting Roundup: August 22-28

BOYS

NCAA DIVISION I

Class of 2023

F Nathan Ferguson (St. Louis City SC) committed to Akron.

M Alen Kapic (FC Cincinnati) committed to Akron.

• Like 3

In a March 14, 2022 FC Cincinnati game, new 2023 recruit Alen Kapic scored a goal with an assist from Akron zip 2022 fall new player Ashton Kamdem.  Ashton Kamdem also scored a goal in that same game.  I have said it before....Ashton Kamdem really sounds like an exciting addition to the zips team this fall.  I sure hope that Ashton Kamdem sees a lot of playing time this fall at left defensive back.

Sunday, March 14

U19 | Midwest United 0, FC Cincinnati Academy 6

The U19s had a dominant performance in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as six different goal scorers led to the rout. Kimball Jackson (assisted by Danny Samways), Alen Kapic (Ashton Kamdem), Josh Head (Max Miller), Ashton Kamdem (Owen Parrish), Tre Jervier (Diego Hoenderkamp) and Caleb Frakes (Carson Turpin) tallied the six goals in the Orange and Blue’s strong outing. Jack Moxom saved a penalty kick, holding a clean sheet in goal.

• Like 1

I think this is Nathan Ferguson.   Listed as a 6'3 forward .  I like tall forwards (for set pieces).   

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nathan-ferguson/

the tweet has a good photo of Nathan Ferguson

for some reason...when I copy tweet, I get Faufel and ferguson...Nathan is 2nd photo ...he is the commit to Akron

welcome Nathan

Born in Glen Carbon, Illinois. A standout striker from our

@STLCITYAcademy

who notched 9 goals in

@MLSNEXT

action last fall.

Edited by TennZip
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1