2023 Zips soccer recruits

Joshua Bartels is another recruit from the Columbus Crew Academy

he played all 90 minutes for Crew Academy U17 in MLS Next final and scored a goal.

this is really shaping up to be an outstaning recruiting class.   Keep up the great work in recruiting......coaches

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/philadelphia-new-england-win-mls-next-cups_aid50965

A penalty from Taha Habroune and an early second half finish from Joshua Bartels had Columbus up 2-0 50 minutes in to the final versus Philadelphia Union.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

To @TennZip and @Zip_ME87, or anyone else for that matter,  when these players play for an academy team like the Crew or IMG or one of the other MLS team's academies, are their matches against other academy teams, and does anyone attend their matches?  I'm sure the caliber of play is very high, but didn't know if the "experience" was the same as if they had played for a HS team?  Just curious.

Academies mostly play other academies,  with few exceptions.  So, the caliber of play is generally much higher than typical high school competition.  Most academy participants forego high school competition altogether nowadays.  More is the pity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations to Zips Mens Soccer recruit Ryan Kopay (Moon Boys Soccer #7) on his championship game-winning goal today. 

Edited by Zip_ME87

5 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Sorry for any confusion that was just the WPIAL (Western PA) championship, not state. Moving on to state, I believe. 

Moon is one of 16 teams left to battle for the State 3A title.

their first state tournament game is on Tuesday.

Good wishes to Ryan Kopay and his teammates

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Methinks we shall hear that particular call again.  Get used to it, ZipsNation.

It's nice to see @ZipsMensSoccer still recruiting @ColumbusCrewAcademy hard. I'm sure the hometown school would love to have those two. Sorry, Suckeyes!  😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Is the game against WMU being streamed? I clicked on the live video link via GoZips.com and all I get is that the game has not started.

Forget this question. I was looking at a clock that had no been turned back. Go Zips! Win the MAC and roll thru the tournament!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

First @fknbuflobo now you...

Can't trust anyone in this thread. Sorry @GoZips88. I gave you the wrong info. I'm only as good as my intel. 

Oh well. 😉 The tweet says WPIAL, but I understand the confusion. PA seems to run their boys state soccer championships a little different than Ohio, and it didn't occur to me that someone might misinterpret my post. Happy for Ryan Kopay to make it this far...hopefully, he and his team keep going. Thanks to @TennZipfor posting the PIAA tournament bracket. When I looked for it on their site before he posted, it was still blank.

Might as well continue the Moon Area Boys Soccer in the PIAA (PA state) championship run "thread" since @TennZippointed out to me (offline) the exciting win that the team had yesterday. I suggest reading the entire article linked below,  but I picked out key sentences.

https://www.timesonline.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2022/11/09/moon-boys-overcome-first-half-deficit-advance-to-piaa-quarterfinal-with-3-2-win-over-palmyra/69628720007/

... For the first time in the 2022 soccer season, the Moon Tigers boys team were trailing a game. ...

...Two quick goals for Palmyra put the Tigers on the backburner in a rare display at Tiger Stadium.

However, as the old saying goes, a two-goal lead is the worst in soccer. The Tigers proved that on Tuesday night, making a major comeback in the second half. In the span of seven minutes, Moon scored three goals to lift the Tigers over Palmyra and advance to the quarterfinal round of the PIAA Tournament with a 3-2 win.  ...

... Aedan Costa scored two goals, while senior Davi Jansson added one of his own.  ...

... Costa kicked off the comeback with a tap-in past Palmyra goalkeeper Julian Meley, with Dominic Corrado recording the assist. ...

... Jansson, Moon’s leading goal-scorer this year, added the second goal off an assist from Ryan Kopay. Costa scored the game-winning goal with 13 minutes left, picking up a rebound after Meley muffed the ball and Costa position himself toward the far post. Kopay took the initial shot. ...

50 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Ryan Kopay and Moon....will play their quarterfinal game on Saturday

https://pittsburghsoccernow.com/2022/11/09/piaa-boys-soccer-quarterfinal-round-sites-and-times-are-set-for-saturday/

4 p.m. – Moon vs Cathedral Prep at North Allegheny

Cathedral Prep coached by Sam Tojaga (back, right) in photo below and once attended by Sammy Tojaga