New Turf

MangoZip

Google says it takes 3-6 weeks to replace a natural surface with new artificial turf.  I'm guessing the drainage/base is still adequate, so just replacing the "carpet" should take significantly less time.  I'd imagine we'll see them start soon nonetheless.

21 hours ago, GP1 said:

As last they start early to mid July there is plenty of time. 

Turf replacement generally takes 4-6 weeks so mid July would be really pushing it. My guess is that maybe they are waiting until camps are completed and they will start late June. 

1 hour ago, monrowe said:

A fresh and clean look for the new turf would be nice.No two tone colors or stripes.Real grass would be nice.The soccer field seems to hold together in November.

Ah, real grass.

We would have the field looking like the (pre-artificial turf) Rubber Bowl in no time at all.

The good old days.

Edited by Zipmeister

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Ah, real grass.

We would have the field looking like the (pre-artificial turf) Rubber Bowl in no time at all.

The good old days.

I'll never forget the final game on grass at the Rubber Bowl. We played the Quantico Marines. It was a near blizzard. Quantico wore all white uniforms with white helmets. Without the mud you wouldn't have been able to see them. By the end of the game there probably wasn't a single blade of grass left.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, Hilltopper said:

I'll never forget the final game on grass at the Rubber Bowl. We played the Quantico Marines. It was a near blizzard. Quantico wore all white uniforms with white helmets. Without the mud you wouldn't have been able to see them. By the end of the game there probably wasn't a single blade of grass left.

I have a vague memory of the Zips getting crushed by the Marines, something like 40-0.  I remember my brother a Navy vet saying "Quantico Marines?  They suck!"  

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I have a vague memory of the Zips getting crushed by the Marines, something like 40-0.  I remember my brother a Navy vet saying "Quantico Marines?  They suck!"  

11/11/72  Marines 24 Zips 0   They would drop football the next year. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm noticing that there are no lacrosse markings on the field graphic.  Maybe they'll just paint those on later? Maybe they're moving lacrosse games to another location?

I assume they will paint those later. I think the graphic is strictly to show a football field, and to likely save a bunch of comments like "What are all those weird looking markings?!" for those who forget that lacrosse exists lol. 

• Like 1