New Turf

MangoZip

36 minutes ago, Zips Win! said:

Charles gets an F- for the new logo.  It's horrific!  Any kindergartner could have drawn up a better A.  Please do not put it on the turf! 

Get used to it, my friend. Until the next AD comes along, you’re stuck with it. Next field turf replacement is scheduled for 2033.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I'm noticing that there are no lacrosse markings on the field graphic.  Maybe they'll just paint those on later? Maybe they're moving lacrosse games to another location?

Maybe they don't want their field to look like it belongs in a high school stadium. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Zips Win! said:

Charles gets an F- for the new logo.  It's horrific!  Any kindergartner could have drawn up a better A.  Please do not put it on the turf! 

Let’s see what you can come up with…

On 6/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, LZIp said:

And here will apparently be the final product.

Thanks for the fantastic photo.  Would it be possible to get an updated photo of the progress of the new turf on the field at least once a week?  I know that I would be very appreciative if you and/or others could post photos and I think that others in the Nation would love to see the progress also.  If it is not possible, thank you for this photo.  

Go Zips!!!

I am not going to complain about the logo because I like it better than a couple of the recent ones and not as well as a couple others.

what I don’t understand, though, is why the change in traditional text font? That was always an Akron trademark to me.. and really this new font isn’t that fantastically different so why not keep the old one for continuity and tradition sake?

3 hours ago, Akron1 said:

I think the reason that the MAC logos are facing the same way are for televised games.  

Yeah they never want any logos upside down on TV, so everything always faces the same way. High schools sometimes have logos flipped to face the home and away sides, but it almost never happens in college or professional sports. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, GJGood said:

I am not going to complain about the logo because I like it better than a couple of the recent ones and not as well as a couple others.

what I don’t understand, though, is why the change in traditional text font? That was always an Akron trademark to me.. and really this new font isn’t that fantastically different so why not keep the old one for continuity and tradition sake?

I agree completely. I miss the old font. The new one seems overly generic and bland. Joe Bosack, the designer of both the old and new Akron branding, noted that the old Akron font was the first font he ever created and was a bit rough. I've used the font before and I can agree that it has some issues. A nice hybrid/evolution of the original font would have been my choice for sure. But I think the people in charge wanted something completely new. 

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Yeah they never want any logos upside down on TV, so everything always faces the same way. High schools sometimes have logos flipped to face the home and away sides, but it almost never happens in college or professional sports. 

image.png.3ba83cb2d34c1bce6f3e22b81dea54b6.png

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm beginning to get dejected. Would it help get the webcam working if I was to throw a fit?

just let them know bigjim is waiting and also would like a listing of when each strip will be installed and the color pantone of each strip

Question:

Over time, how can Akron, if at all, keep their turf looking sharp? I ask since in the past few years, it's looked ROUGH! However, other schools like Ohio State and Oklahoma have great looking turf every season, it never looks dull. Is that simply a money thing?(which, I understand) Or do they use a different type of field? 

Just wondering

17 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Question:

Over time, how can Akron, if at all, keep their turf looking sharp? I ask since in the past few years, it's looked ROUGH! However, other schools like Ohio State and Oklahoma have great looking turf every season, it never looks dull. Is that simply a money thing?(which, I understand) Or do they use a different type of field? 

Just wondering

The turf got sad with all of the losing. Winning is the cure. It's scientific. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

Question:

Just wondering

Our turf was installed in 2009 and Ohio State is replacing their turf which is 8 years old.  I think the average artificial turf is supposed to last a maximum of 10 years. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Our turf was installed in 2009 and Ohio State is replacing their turf which is 8 years old.  I think the average artificial turf is supposed to last a maximum of 10 years. 

Ah, which is why the next change is scheduled for 2033. Makes sense now! 

Edited by GoZips86