Fall 2022 Mens soccer schedule

the athletic director must be talking about an exhibition game

he posted this on May 30.   81 days away from May 30...would be August 19.  Normally , the mens regular season does not start before the last Friday in August (Friday August 26)

the zips will have a tough road game on September 9.

They will play the IU Hoosiers in Bloomington

IU will then host four consecutive home non-conference matches against Portland (Aug. 30), Notre Dame (Sept. 3) and St. John’s (Sept. 6) in the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic, and Akron (Sept. 9).

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-mens-soccer-announces-2022-schedule/

• Like 2

So this is just the 50th season of Indiana men's soccer.  I think Jerry Yeagley was their first head coach.  Which means they've had only three coaches in 50 years.  And two of them were Yeagleys.  This is our arch-rival.  #BeatHoosiers!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

So this is just the 50th season of Indiana men's soccer.  I think Jerry Yeagley was their first head coach.  Which means they've had only three coaches in 50 years.  And two of them were Yeagleys.  This is our arch-rival.  #BeatHoosiers!

Jerry Yeagley was first HC.

Program has 8 titles, 21 CCs, 46 tourneys, in 50 years.

Seems fairly successful to me.

When filling out your bracket in November, consider that IU has gone to nearly half of all College Cups since 1973.

Edited by fknbuflobo

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Jerry Yeagley was first HC.

Program has 8 titles, 21 CCs, 46 tourneys, in 50 years.

Seems fairly successful to me.

When filling out your bracket in November, consider that IU has gone to nearly half of all College Cups since 1973.

Yup.  That's why I hate 'em so!  Especially Yeags Sr., the most arrogant coach of all.  Taught Bobby Knight every move!

This news came out on May 27th....but I just learned about it today.  (thank you Fknbuflobo...for sharing the news)

Akron will play Chicago State 1 or 2 times during the Fall 2022 season.

The MAC announced that Chicago State would join MAC soccer as an affiliate member

This probably will not help the RPI for the Zips.  You can see below that Chicago State has recently restarted their soccer program.  The Cougars played in the WAC last year and they had a record of 2-13-3.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2022/5/27/chicago-state-to-join-mac-as-affiliate-member-in-mens-soccer.aspx

Four full membership institutions (Akron, Bowling Green, Northern Illinois & Western Michigan) will be joined by the Cougars. After a three decade-long hiatus, Chicago State men’s soccer returned to the pitch in 2020. The Cougars played their first full season during the fall of 2021. Norris Howze is currently leading the Cougars as their interim head coach.

The MAC at one time was a very highly regarded soccer conference with numerous teams getting bids. That has gone away and now it is sh*t show with Akron and three other teams who do not want to grow their programs. Add to this mess Chicago State and Akron loses valuable strength of schedule points. Guthrie has got to get us out of the MAC. Jared would rather be an independent and build his own schedule than play in this MAC. Our program is at a critical crossroad. The school's decisions have got to reflect that we will keep soccer at the elite level no matter what.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs down 1

Five MAC teams went to NCAA last year.  BGSU, NIU, WMU all have tasted the exposure this brings.  And they want it again.  Year in year out, at least one of those three will challenge Zips for MAC.  Let’s return to always beating these teams every time before we complain about the quality of the MAC.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

With a smaller number of teams in the MAC, does this mean there are more openings for OOC teams on the schedule? 

Yes.  Unless the MAC decides to play every team twice.

Georgia State and Georgia Southern played in the Sunbelt up until fall 2021.  They joined the MAC in 2021 as the Sunbelt did not have enough teams to support a league.

They have returned to the Sunbelt for 2022 as the Sunbelt now has a fantastic 9 team league (Marshall, West Virginia, Kentucky, Coastal Carolina and other very good teams)

As to the automatic bid question, I will defer to Zip_ME87 or Fknbuflobo as they are much more knowledgeable on that question than I am.

This points out how bad the MAC has become in soccer. Marshall, WVU and Kentucky all were part of the MAC in recent years. They left because only Akron wanted to invest in an elite conference. BG plays on a sh*t field 10 yards narrower than it should be, WMU and NIU do not want to upgrade their facility nor program. Add to that the recent addition of a terrible Chicago State program and Akron finds itself in a conference that will not prepare it for the NCAA tournament nor give it any strength of schedule points for conference games.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, indians4841ks said:

I could be wrong, but doesn't there have to be 6 teams in a conference for the conference champ to get an automatic bid?

You are correct that a conference has to have 6 teams in order for the conference champion to get an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. However, my understanding is that a conference that has gone below the 6 team threshold has a 1-year cushion to get back up to 6 teams. So, in 2022, the MAC will retain its automatic bid for its Men's Soccer Conference champion, but it will lose that auto bid in 2023 if it does not return to at least 6 members, all of whom have to be D1 otherwise another year would have to pass, which I believe happened when Hartwick joined the last time. Good news at that time was that Akron was the MAC Champion ranked at or near #1 in NCAA D1 and did not need the auto qualifier.

Edited by Zip_ME87

On 6/1/2022 at 9:18 PM, 72 Roo said:

The MAC at one time was a very highly regarded soccer conference with numerous teams getting bids. That has gone away and now it is sh*t show with Akron and three other teams who do not want to grow their programs. Add to this mess Chicago State and Akron loses valuable strength of schedule points. Guthrie has got to get us out of the MAC. Jared would rather be an independent and build his own schedule than play in this MAC. Our program is at a critical crossroad. The school's decisions have got to reflect that we will keep soccer at the elite level no matter what.  

I agree that the MAC is a sh*t show. I'm not sure that I like the idea of going independent, but I'd like to see the MAC quit sponsoring Men's Soccer as the Sun Belt did in 2021. I'd prefer to see the Zips join Conference USA, the Horizon League, or other conference as an affiliate member as opposed to being in the ever-changing MAC. This constant churn of not having enough MAC teams is awful. However, I don't see our AD fixing this. I'll leave it at that as he has done well at putting me back in my place of apathy toward anything other than Zips Men's Soccer. I wish him well and hope his approach is successful. I think, as others, that he made a great hire with the FB coach and wish for our Alma Mater's sake that it plays out well. As far as the AD himself, hopefully, others appreciate the "smart AD"'s interactions with them better than I have.

As for Zips Men's Soccer ... Thanks to our coaches and players, I've come to really love the game and continue to be passionate about it. Our men's soccer players are the greatest guys showing how grateful they are for all of us who support them. Supporting them at Akron (home and on the road) and beyond is my happy place. I just wish I could keep up with all of our former players, but there are too many of them in too many places for me to follow as much as my heart wishes I could. I wish them all the best on the soccer field or wherever life has taken them. Go Zips!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

I agree that the MAC is a sh*t show. I'm not sure that I like the idea of going independent, but I'd like to see the MAC quit sponsoring Men's Soccer as the Sun Belt did in 2021. I'd prefer to see the Zips join Conference USA, the Horizon League, or other conference as an affiliate member as opposed to being in the ever-changing MAC. This constant churn of not having enough MAC teams is awful. However, I don't see our AD fixing this. I'll leave it at that as he has done well at putting me back in my place of apathy toward anything other than Zips Men's Soccer. I wish him well and hope his approach is successful. I think, as others, that he made a great hire with the FB coach and wish for our Alma Mater's sake that it plays out well. As far as the AD himself, hopefully, others appreciate the "smart AD"'s interactions with them better than I have.

As for Zips Men's Soccer ... Thanks to our coaches and players, I've come to really love the game and continue to be passionate about it. Our men's soccer players are the greatest guys showing how grateful they are for all of us who support them. Supporting them at Akron (home and on the road) and beyond is my happy place. I just wish I could keep up with all of our former players, but there are too many of them in too many places for me to follow as much as my heart wishes I could. I wish them all the best on the soccer field or wherever life has taken them. Go Zips!!!

You are totally wrong about the AD being not interested in fixing this situation with the MAC regarding soccer. I'm sure once the MAC completely implodes there will be a landing spot for us that you will like. Believe me when I say soccer is a priority for Guthrie. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

You are totally wrong about the AD being not interested in fixing this situation with the MAC regarding soccer. I'm sure once the MAC completely implodes there will be a landing spot for us that you will like. Believe me when I say soccer is a priority for Guthrie. 

Literally one of his first photos as our AD was at a soccer match promoting the program. Anything other than the sentiment you shared is erroneous (to quote the Rowdies). 

What are the rules with our MAC membership overall and our membership as a soccer program? Can we jump ship and flip the double bird to the MAC? Are there repercussions? The MAC has never done anything for us in any sport. That Sun Belt conference looks appealing. 

36 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

For how many decades have people awaited the #MACImplosion?  Have faith, it's just around the corner. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

I'll be happy to see it when it happens. Btw, I didn't say he wasn't interested. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Getting back to the 2022 schedule....Bowling Green announced their schedule today.

The 5 MAC teams will play home and home against each other

Akron plays at Bowling Green on October 6.   BUGS comes to Akron on October 17

The top two teams in the MAC will meet in the league championship match on Saturday, Nov. 12.

credit to BUGS for playing at Georgetown

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2022/6/6/mens-soccer-nichols-falcons-announce-2022-schedule.aspx

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

I'm sure Guthrie cares about the soccer program, but we will continue to slip as long as we are in the MAC. How much time will it take to restore the program once we exit the MAC? Who knows, but the conference hurts us. We have an elite coaching staff. When they want out of the MAC I trust they can see how it is holding the program back. The MAC may have Guthrie under pressure not to pull out, but he has got to do what is best for our only nationally elite program. Clearly the MAC has no solution. It has been coming up with stopgap solutions for years now. There is no alignment or shared values amongst the 5 existing members. It's time to leave. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:14 PM, 72 Roo said:

This points out how bad the MAC has become in soccer. Marshall, WVU and Kentucky all were part of the MAC in recent years. They left because only Akron wanted to invest in an elite conference. BG plays on a sh*t field 10 yards narrower than it should be, WMU and NIU do not want to upgrade their facility nor program. Add to that the recent addition of a terrible Chicago State program and Akron finds itself in a conference that will not prepare it for the NCAA tournament nor give it any strength of schedule points for conference games.

I do agree with you that the MAC has badly struggled for the last decade...to maintain 6 teams in the league.   However, if BGSU, WMU and NIU are so terrible and unwilling to commit to top notch soccer, Akron should be easily clobbering those teams every time that they play him.   For the past 3 years, that has not happened.

I agree that Akron has the best facilities by far.   I agree that Jared is the only coach in the league that has taken the zips to the college cup numerous times.  There is no doubt that Jared is the highest paid coach in the MAC.  In one note, you wrote that Akron has an elite coaching staff.   If Akron can not beat Western Michigan and Northern Illinois over the past few years, does that mean that those schools are recruiting better players than Akron?  Akron is usually the only MAC team that consistently appears in the top 25 team recruiting rankings by Top Drawer Soccer.

When was the last time that Akron soccer beat Western Michigan?   You have to go back to the MAC tournament in 2018 to find the last time that Akron defeated Western Michigan in soccer.

in the last 4 matchups against WMU, Akron is 0-2-2.

O28, 2019    1-1 tie at WMU

A14, 2021      0-0 tie at AK

A18, 2021      4-3 loss at WMU

N 14, 2021    4-3 loss at WMU

When was the last time that Akron Soccer defeated Northern Illinois?  You have to go back to November 2, 2019 when the Zips defeated the huskies 3-2 at Akron.

In the last 3 matchups against Northern Illinois, Akron is 0-3-0 and has been outscored 8-2 by a school that does not want to upgrade their program????

why is this?   better players ?  better coaching.....?

To trash NIU and to say that they don't prepare Akron for the NCAA...would indicate that Akron is easily defeating NIU every time they play

an 8-2 gap in goals....indicates the exact opposite

M14, 2020       3-0 loss at NIU

A4,   2020        3-1 loss at AK

O30, 2021         2-1 loss at NIU

How has Akron done against BUGS in the last 5 games?  Surely, Akron must have a winning record .   In the last 5 games, Akron has a 2-3-0 record against BUGS.   I am including the spring 2022 league game.....as there was no excuse for that sorry 1-0 loss.    Idiotic passing between the back line and the GK cost the zips that game.

N15, 2019      1-0 loss at Akron in MAC tournament .....very painful loss

M7, 2020        2-0 win at AK

A11, 2020       1-0 loss at BG

O 22, 2021    5-1 win at Akron.....Akron looked like the much better team,.  Alas, BG finished in the top 4 in the league.  Akron did not

Spring 2022 league game   1-0 loss

I am a very passionate Akron zips soccer fan.    If you had made your posts in 2018, I would agree 100% with your posts.   The MAC teams (with the exception of WMU in the Brandon Bye years) were not NCAA quality teams and did not prepare the zips for the NCAA tourney.   However, the evidence over the last 3 years says that the zips are not beating these 3 teams that do not want to upgrade their facilities or their programs.  Either, those 3 teams have dramatically improved the quality of their soccer teams or Akron is not playing as well.

My point......is "let's get Akron soccer back to the point where Akron is making the college cup in 3 out of 4 consecutive years."   We should not be bad mouthing NIU, BUGS and WMU until the Zips are beating them consistently by 3-0 margins or 3-1 margins.

I am not happy to point out the poor record against each team over the past 3 years.   However, we play each of those teams twice this year.   I sincerely hope that your assessment of the other 3 programs is spot on for fall 2022.  I hope that the zips go 6-0 this year against those teams and have a goal differential of 16-2.   Let's go, Zips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Let’s not look down our noses at MAC MSOC until we have our boots firmly on their throats.

As I said, my problem with MAC Men's Soccer is its inability for the conference to maintain at least 6 members not the level of play of its full time members. Although I despised the drive to Hartwick, I didn't think it was a good idea at the time for the MAC to drop them. They were a good, competitive program with a good men's soccer history. NIU, BGSU, and WMU have improved as we've seen with their recent appearances in the NCAA Tourney. I'd prefer to see the inclusion of the four MAC full members --- Akron, BGSU, WMU, and NIU --- in another conference as opposed to this constant churn of adding affiliate members just to watch them leave. Too late, though, for Conference USA. Apparently when they lost members to the Sun Belt, the remaining 4 men's soccer teams went to the American Athletic Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA_Men's_Soccer_Tournament) while the MAC continues to churn with adding and losing members. SH*T SHOW!

Edited by Zip_ME87