Early 2022 Two Deep Depth Chart - Defense

catdaddyp

It’s early, but assuming we line up in a 4-3 I’m guessing the defense will look something like what’s listed below. What I like about the 2022 version is the versatility we have - especially on the defensive line. 

If we go into a 4-2-5, like was mostly shown in the 2nd half of the spring game (I missed the first half), we’d drop the SAM LB and add a Nickel. In that case, I’d guess Boateng would be shifted to WILL and one of defensive backs would be slotted at Nickel. For pass rush, we shifted down the OLBs to the edge and slid one or both DEs inside.

WDE:

Ryan Johnson

Zach Morton

NT:

Curtis Harper

Bryce Wilson

DT:

Devon Robinson

Ravontae Holt

SDE:

Victor Jones

Curtis Fann

WILL:

Corey Thomas Jr.

Julian Richardson

MIKE:

Bubba Arslanian

Andrew Behm

SAM:

Jeslord Boateng

Ryan McClain

CB:

Cam Threatt

Tyson Durant

FS:

KJ Martin
Nate Thompson

SS:

Jaylen Kelly-Powell

Jaden Woods

CB:

Jaylen Hooks

Devonte Golden-Nelson

There are a number of different combinations that could be fielded. We definitely have more talent on the defensive side of the ball than in 2021, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. What are the board’s thoughts?

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 1:47 PM, catdaddyp said:

It’s early, but assuming we line up in a 4-3 I’m guessing the defense will look something like what’s listed below. What I like about the 2022 version is the versatility we have - especially on the defensive line. 

If we go into a 4-2-5, like was mostly shown in the 2nd half of the spring game (I missed the first half), we’d drop the SAM LB and add a Nickel. In that case, I’d guess Boateng would be shifted to WILL and one of defensive backs would be slotted at Nickel. For pass rush, we dropped the OLBs to the edge and slid one or both DEs inside.

WDE:

Ryan Johnson

Zach Morton

NT:

Curtis Harper

Bryce Wilson

DT:

Devon Robinson

Ravontae Holt

SDE:

Victor Jones

Curtis Fann

WILL:

Corey Thomas Jr.

Julian Richardson

MIKE:

Bubba Arslanian

Andrew Behm

SAM:

Jeslord Boateng

Ryan McClain

CB:

Cam Threatt

Tyson Durant

FS:

KJ Martin
Nate Thompson

SS:

Jaylen Kelly-Powell

Jaden Woods

CB:

Jaylen Hooks

Devonte Golden-Nelson

There are a number of different combinations that could be fielded. We definitely have more talent on the defensive side of the ball than in 2021, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. What are the board’s thoughts?

I see that there are no replies to this very thought provoking post.  For the most part, I cannot agree or disagree with the 2 deep since I have not been present at the spring practices and may not possess the skills to evaluate all of the positions.  I do not believe that fans can put together an accurate 2 deep depth chart without in depth knowledge of what is going on in the practices.  Based on pure speculation and reading the signing clips of the players, I think this analysis is pretty good.  Based on past performances, I do seriously question the WDE and WILL two deep persons listed above. The remainder may work, we shall see. 

In Joe We Trust!!!!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

I see that there are no replies to this very thought provoking post. 

This is actually one of my favorite preseason pastimes, but we have so many new players I'm really at a loss. We were so bad last year one has to assume most of our transfers on D will at least make the 2-deep this season.  But being unfamiliar with what seems like half the roster has me flying blind this summer.  Here's my two-deep. To highlight how unprecedented this is, I've italicized the transfers who are new to the roster this season.

DT:

Curtis Harper

Ravontae Holt

DT:

Logan Hawkins

Devon Robinson

DE:

Victor Jones

Ryan Johnson

DE:

Zach Morton

Curtis Fann

LB:

Jeslord Boateng

Brian McClain

LB:

Bubba

Tim Terry

LB:

Julian Richardson

Corey Thomas Jr.

CB:

Cam Threatt

Devonte Golden-Nelson

CB:

Tyson Durant

Jalen Hooks

S:

Kerry Martin Jr.

Nate Thompson

S:

Jalen Kelley-Powell

Noel Roach

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

I see that there are no replies to this very thought provoking post.  For the most part, I cannot agree or disagree with the 2 deep since I have not been present at the spring practices and may not possess the skills to evaluate all of the positions.  I do not believe that fans can put together an accurate 2 deep depth chart without in depth knowledge of what is going on in the practices.  Based on pure speculation and reading the signing clips of the players, I think this analysis is pretty good.  Based on past performances, I do seriously question the WDE and WILL two deep persons listed above. The remainder may work, we shall see. 

In Joe We Trust!!!!  

Yes, this is all speculation. I think the offensive two deep is more clear, but I still don’t know what our base defense actually is. If it’s a 4-2-5, that changes things. But since it doesn’t seem to be a 3-4 as I originally thought, I’m using a 4-3 as the base.

With all of the new additions there’s a lot of flexibility, which is exciting.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is actually one of my favorite preseason pastimes, but we have so many new players I'm really at a loss. We were so bad last year one has to assume most of our transfers on D will at least make the 2-deep this season.  But being unfamiliar with what seems like half the roster has me flying blind this summer.  Here's my two-deep. To highlight how unprecedented this is, I've italicized the transfers who are new to the roster this season.

DT:

Curtis Harper

Ravontae Holt

DT:

Logan Hawkins

Devon Robinson

DE:

Victor Jones

Ryan Johnson

DE:

Zach Morton

Curtis Fann

LB:

Jeslord Boateng

Brian McClain

LB:

Bubba

Tim Terry

LB:

Julian Richardson

Corey Thomas Jr.

CB:

Cam Threatt

Devonte Golden-Nelson

CB:

Tyson Durant

Jalen Hooks

S:

Kerry Martin Jr.

Nate Thompson

S:

Jalen Kelley-Powell

Noel Roach

I wasn’t sure where to put Tim Terry as we haven’t heard much about him. I could definitely see Durant and Hawkins pushing for starting minutes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Neither of these 2 deeps suggest any freshman will see any meaningful minutes.

Who is your best guess, if anyone, to make your suggestion false?

That’s a good question. With all the transfers I don’t think there will be a need for any of the freshmen to play on defense. My best guess as to who might see PT would be one of the linebackers - probably McCoy if I was pressed for just one.

37 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

That’s a good question. With all the transfers I don’t think there will be a need for any of the freshmen to play on defense. My best guess as to who might see PT would be one of the linebackers - probably McCoy if I was pressed for just one.

To @Zipmeister's question I was also going to go out on a limb and guess McCoy. 😂

He's already a full grown man 😳

• Haha 1

I'd like to contribute more, but the reality is with the transfers and new staff, I have no effin clue. I think Harper, Jones, and Robinson are probably locks to start on DL. Threatt at CB. Martin somewhere at DB, and some mix of Bubba/Jesloard/Terry starting at LB. Terry not being in the 2 deep would really surprise me.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

We made the MACC in 2017 & 7 Freshman played, have we come that far?

Do you mean being in the rotation or playing at all, and true freshman or redshirts? I took a look through the roster and I don't see an avenue for a true freshman to be in the rotation on D or O barring multiple injury hits to any given position.

Edited by LZIp

37 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Do you mean being in the rotation or playing at all, and true freshman or redshirts? I took a look through the roster and I don't see an avenue for a true freshman to be in the rotation on D or O barring multiple injury hits to any given position.

This is a good thing if freshmen are not immediately put in the starting lineup.  We will finally have upperclassmen leading the way giving the frosh a chance to learn and develop.   However, I see the possibility of freshmen Kilbane, Golden or Clark seeing playing time this year.  But, only Golden is a true freshman so I think the analysis above may be accurate.  

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

This is a good thing if freshmen are not immediately put in the starting lineup.  We will finally have upperclassmen leading the way giving the frosh a chance to learn and develop.   However, I see the possibility of freshmen Kilbane, Golden or Clark seeing playing time this year.  But, only Golden is a true freshman so I think the analysis above may be accurate.  

Go Zips!!!

If the discussion involved the offense I would agree with you on Golden, but I think it is unlikely that any of these three will be switched to the defense.

Edited by Zipmeister

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

No, what I meant is we had 7 true freshman play the year we made the MACC in 2017, be nice if you get to a point freshman don’t need to play unless they are special

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

If the discussion involved the offense I would agree with you on Golden, but I think it is unlikely that any of these three will be switched to the defense.

LZlp referenced D or O, so I responded appropriately.  The initial thread was 2 deep defense, but like most other threads, the topic tends to vary a bit as the comments progress.  Please read the posts before making your reply.

Go Zips!!!

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

LZlp referenced D or O, so I responded appropriately.  The initial thread was 2 deep defense, but like most other threads, the topic tends to vary a bit as the comments progress.  Please read the posts before making your reply.

Go Zips!!!

I think "meaningful minutes" would apply to any true freshman who plays in more than 4 games and gives up his redshirt. One doesn't have to be in the 2 deep to do so.

Thanks for the tip on reading posts before making my reply; I never would have thought of that without your heads up.

Edited by Zipmeister

On 6/4/2022 at 5:32 AM, Blue & Gold said:

This is actually one of my favorite preseason pastimes, but we have so many new players I'm really at a loss.

I'm glad I'm not the only Zips fan that feels this way! 😁

As recently as Arth's first year, you had a pretty solid idea who was going to be on the field when the season began. Today? Good luck.

I think you can place either "Who's he?" or "Meh" next to anyone's name but Bubba's on defense. You saw a flash of potential here or there with some of the incumbents...but there are three All MAC team levels, plus Honorable Mention, and no 2021 defensive Zip was anywhere close to nabbing a spot. 

Charles Amankwaa is one unmentioned name that bears watching (I don't think he's transferred?). 3 INT's last season led the team.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I heard on a podcast that coaches are hesitant to put out depth charts because it telegraphs who their best players are (or are going to be), making them targets for poaching / transfer. So maybe it's good that we're just left to speculate..

Most of our best players ARE transfers. I think we're safe 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I heard on a podcast that coaches are hesitant to put out depth charts because it telegraphs who their best players are (or are going to be), making them targets for poaching / transfer. So maybe it's good that we're just left to speculate..

That’s an interesting take. The whole nation is going to find out who the best players are in a few months. Also, if players enter the portal now they’d have to sit another year. Was it a coach saying that? Or the podcastee’s (is that a word?) hot take?

Edited by catdaddyp

20 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

That’s an interesting take. The whole nation is going to find out who the best players are in a few months. Also, if players enter the portal now they’d have to sit another year. Was it a coach saying that? Or the podcastee’s (is that a word?) hot take?

https://theathletic.com/podcast/97-the-audible-with-bruce-and-stew/

It's the June 9 podcast, near the end (starting around the 1-hour mark) with guest writer Max Olson relating some coaches' comments. The problem being if good players get too much attention around spring practice, before the transfer deadline.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1