What is your realistic definition of a successful 2022 Season?

GoZips86

News is a little slow right now, so I figured I'd see how everyone felt on this.

In your opinion, what is your realistic expectation where you could walk away from this coming football season feeling it was a success? None of us have felt good about any season recently, but what would make that change for you this year? 

18 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

News is a little slow right now, so I figured I'd see how everyone felt on this.

In your opinion, what is your realistic expectation where you could walk away from this coming football season feeling it was a success? None of us have felt good about any season recently, but what would make that change for you this year? 

A successful year 1 to me would be 6-6, but realistically we are probably looking at somewhere between 4-8 to 8-4. The OOC is tough and its really hard to gauge how the team will look with this many new players (in addition to the new staff). 

• Like 1

I expect a significant improvement in the quality of play, but we may not see it come together until later in the season when the team has played a number of games under the new offensive and defensive systems. The roster is significantly better, but it was REALLY bad and still needs about 1-2 more solid recruiting classes before they can challenge for a league title. With that said, I would be very happy with 6-6, but 4-8 feels about right given the talent upgrade across the roster.

• Like 3

I will change the question around to what will make it an unsuccessful season? 

Anything less than 7 wins will make it an unsuccessful season.  I expect a 1-3 start with close games, and then to roll through the MAC schedule.  There will be a couple of tough losses, but the end result is 7 wins.  If we could squeeze out a second OOC win, then we can go 8-4.  Adding 40 new players with all of the transfers should immediately transform the roster and culture.  I expect that the Zips will be Bowling this year.

In Joe We Trust!!!!!!

P.S. - LZlp - picking 4-8 wins is a copout.  Pick a number in the range and stand by it.  You are usually such a good poster, but that range is not an expectation.  

• Haha 1

I can't think of a more difficult season to guesstimate an upcoming record. I'm guessing a 4 win season with a team that actually looks like it knows what it is doing.  In 2023 I fully expect a bowl season with 2024 competing for the league championship with the final four games being meaningful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I can't think of a more difficult season to guesstimate an upcoming record. I'm guessing a 4 win season with a team that actually looks like it knows what it is doing.  In 2023 I fully expect a bowl season with 2024 competing for the league championship with the final four games being meaningful.

Doesn't need to be a record, could be anything that would have you walk away feeling like the season was a success and things are on the right track

Edited by GoZips86

I'm not looking for a final record to determine a successful season.  For the last 3 years us fans were subject to some of the worst, non-competitive football in the history of FBS. 

Success to me would be competing for 4 quarters in every game. 

Success would be a competent team being in the game so that I want to stay past halftime, heck...even making me want to show up.  

Success would see our guys focused on the game and supporting each other instead of goofing around on the sidelines trailing by 4 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter. 

Success would be disciplined football with limited mental gaffes and stupid penalties.  

That being said, with all the unknowns and variables, I'd be satisfied with 4-5 wins as long as we compete. I'd be ecstatic with 6 or more.

• Like 6

The answer to this depends on what one considers success. Some say a winning season, others say beating the rival, and those who look for continuous improvement/improved conference play. While success can be interpreted arbitrarily, I look at success as what the Zips can do to make the most out of their season. To me there would be no greater prize or accomplishment than playing spoiler to Tenn or MSU early on. The attention Akron would receive from an upset would far outweigh any other season milestone other than an improbable MAC championship.

Anything can happen on any given Saturday. If I were the coach, I would be prepping for MSU or Tenn now (whichever is worse; probably msu) for a chance to shock the world.

Edited by AkronAlumnus

Two things would be signals of success to me. One: for the team to play entertaining enough football that attracts enough spectators to each home game so that the university doesn't have to lie about attendance. Two: that in order to serve the crowds attending each home game the university is effectively forced to open at least a couple more concession stands.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GP1 said:

I agree. Coach JoeMo has improved the talent everywhere, but especially along the OL and DL. What he inherited is arguably the worst overall line play in the history of FBS. Although improved, still not a lot of depth and we are putting together a group that hasn’t played together. Football is won and lost in the trenches. Four wins in 2022 is a realistic expectation.

• Like 1

St. Francis (PA) – easy win

Michigan State – Loss. We aren’t ready to beat a Big 10 program in Game #2 of the Moorhead Era.

Tennessee – Loss. Similar to Michigan State.

Liberty – Bowden’s ULM team beat these guys last year. Why not the Zips? Probably because we don’t yet have the horses. I’ll bet on an entertaining, high-scoring game. Zips cover, but lose.

Bowling Green – If Arth beat these clowns in successive seasons, the 2022 Zips roll too. Win.

Ohio – These guys miss Solich. Zips win.

Central Michigan – Not a MAC team the Zips want to face. We aren’t at CMU’s level yet. Loss.

Kent State – Their defense blows. Joe knows what this game means to the program, and Kent will be WAY overconfident. Rivalry game, and the first signature win of Joe’s HC tenure at Akron. Win. Will the Beacon send a reporter?

Miami (OH) – These guys aren’t very good, and we’ve got them at home. Zips win.

Eastern Michigan – It’s @ Akron. But EMU will be favored. Heart says Zips, but head says Eagles. Loss.

Buffalo – Buffalo’s falling apart. November will be quittin’ time for many of the remaining Bulls. Zips pull off a road stunner. Win.

Northern Illinois – Loss.

Captain’s Choice: 6-6

6 wins would be awesome, as when October 2022 rolls around, the Zips will have beaten ZERO Division 1 opponents not named Bowling Green in the previous 4 calendar years combined (Last non-BG, FBS win was October 27th, 2018 – CMU)!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Michigan State – Loss. We aren’t ready to beat a Big 10 program in Game #2 of the Moorhead Era.

Liberty – Bowden’s ULM team beat these guys last year. Why not the Zips? Probably because we don’t yet have the horses. I’ll bet on an entertaining, high-scoring game. Zips cover, but lose.

Bowling Green – If Arth beat these clowns in successive seasons, the 2022 Zips roll too. Win.

Central Michigan – Not a MAC team the Zips want to face. We aren’t at CMU’s level yet. Loss.

Kent State – Their defense blows. Joe knows what this game means to the program, and Kent will be WAY overconfident. Rivalry game, and the first signature win of Joe’s HC tenure at Akron. Win. Will the Beacon send a reporter?

Eastern Michigan – It’s @ Akron. But EMU will be favored. Heart says Zips, but head says Eagles. Loss.

Buffalo – Buffalo’s falling apart. November will be quittin’ time for many of the remaining Bulls. Zips pull off a road stunner. Win.

6 wins would be awesome, as when October 2022 rolls around, the Zips will have beaten ZERO Division 1 opponents not named Bowling Green in the previous 4 calendar years combined (Last non-BG, FBS win was October 27th, 2018 – CMU)!

According to 247, with 15 3* the Bulls have the #2 2022 MAC recruiting class, and with 21 gets from the portal they are the only MAC team with more than the Zips. Hope your prediction of a win over them is correct but I would not put a lot of money on a Zips win, I yearn for the good old days when Buffalo was the doormat of the MAC.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:05 AM, bigjim said:

I will change the question around to what will make it an unsuccessful season? 

Anything less than 7 wins will make it an unsuccessful season.  I expect a 1-3 start with close games, and then to roll through the MAC schedule.  There will be a couple of tough losses, but the end result is 7 wins.  If we could squeeze out a second OOC win, then we can go 8-4.  Adding 40 new players with all of the transfers should immediately transform the roster and culture.  I expect that the Zips will be Bowling this year.

In Joe We Trust!!!!!!

P.S. - LZlp - picking 4-8 wins is a copout.  Pick a number in the range and stand by it.  You are usually such a good poster, but that range is not an expectation.  

I think he said 6 wins would be a successful season.

Edited by Zipmeister

13 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Miami still has Gabbert & the leader to win the East & Buffalo really reloaded.  Ohio is the worst, Bowling Green is still bad, Kent still can’t play D, Miami & Buffalo should be tough but I’m hopeful we can compete.  Not saying we win the East but hopefully we are in the conversation 

Year one with a limited recruiting season?

#1 BEAT KENT. 

Liberty, Bowling Green, Ohio, Buffalo should be wins

St. Francis, EMU could be trouble

Central, Miami, NIU not yet...

Michigan State, Tennessee, just get out healthy and <35+ point spreads

IMO 5-7 is a nice four game improvement over Arth & Co.

Edited by Spin

1 hour ago, Spin said:

#1 BEAT KENT. 

You think St. Francis could be trouble?

Why, exactly?  1st game under new staff & 1st game trying to run new systems?

Edited by Blue & Gold

6 hours ago, Spin said:

#1 BEAT KENT. 

Spin has spoken. We might lose to St Francis, but will definitely win against Liberty and Buffalo, Love it. I used my Magic 8 Ball and came up with the same results. I encourage all Zip fans to get their wagers in early; we are going to be rich.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

You think St. Francis could be trouble?

Why, exactly?  1st game under new staff & 1st game trying to run new systems?

More a hunch, first game out, I thought NIU was better than their MAC record and SF kept it within 3 TD's against them. Probably overthinking it, but we're not putting money on it.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

I couldn't disagree more. The most likely thing that will keep the Zips from covering what is likely to be a large spread against St.F. is if they run a vanilla offense to keep from showing the next opponent what they really have, and that might not be enough to keep the Zips from covering unless they get fairly deep into the depth chart.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:49 AM, Zipmeister said:

Don't get me wrong bigjim, I think you did a great job calling out LZip for his wishy washy prediction, but I believe he was actually predicting 4 wins and 8 losses, not 4 to 8 wins.

The question is what our definition of success is, and I answered that at 6-6. Not a record prediction.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:22 AM, 94zipgrad said:

Miami still has Gabbert & the leader to win the East & Buffalo really reloaded.  

Miami was 0-6 on the road last year. Granted the Zips have were 0-for-the-non-BG-MAC over the past 4 full seasons...but I think we have more then a puncher's chance against Miami.

Buffalo was 4-8 last year. If the ball bounced the Zips way in the last minute against WMU and Ball State, the 2021 Zips are 4-8 too.

I'm not betting the house on any of these games, but Moorhead will somehow get to 5 or 6 wins this season. To do it he'll need to pull a couple upsets. Maybe 5 upsets...I don't know if we'll be favored in any games outside of St Francis?

• Like 2