What is your realistic definition of a successful 2022 Season?

GoZips86

Be competitive!  Don't get blown out by the top MAC dogs/no 30+ pt spreads in conference.  And keep Tennessee and Sparty under the 50 mark while putting up some points, like at least couple TDs against each.  Beat the bottom dwellers. Gotta play well vs Bee Gee and Ohio and beat an iffy EMU team at home.  Perhaps most importantly, create SOME kind of interest in college football again on campus and in the community.  I don't see more than four wins -- which would be progress -- but gotta bring back those casual fans lost by dreary football under the Mistake from JCU.  And PLEASE stop playing those games with kick-off at 6 a.m. or earlier in Hawaii Standard Time. Yes, that would be welcome progress! 😊

• Like 2

If the team is playing good football in November, it will be a successful year.

The quality of coaching should provide a team that improves throughout the year.

I would hesitate to judge success with wins and losses this year. Next year, maybe, but not this year.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Be competitive!  Don't get blown out by the top MAC dogs/no 30+ pt spreads in conference.  And keep Tennessee and Sparty under the 50 mark while putting up some points, like at least couple TDs against each.  Beat the bottom dwellers. Gotta play well vs Bee Gee and Ohio and beat an iffy EMU team at home.  Perhaps most importantly, create SOME kind of interest in college football again on campus and in the community.  I don't see more than four wins -- which would be progress -- but gotta bring back those casual fans lost by dreary football under the Mistake from JCU.  And PLEASE stop playing those games with kick-off at 6 a.m. or earlier in Hawaii Standard Time. Yes, that would be welcome progress! 😊

This is exactly how I feel and you nailed it perfectly. Of course I want to see the us win games. But more importantly I want people to care about Akron football. I'm so sick of seeing empty bleachers and people acting like Zips football is a joke. We have a Division 1 FBS program, with a legit head coach, stacked staff and an AD that's committed to winning. Even if we don't see a .500 season, we will most likely see a team headed in the right direction and some fun football. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Agree. No 'blowouts' in the MAC. I ignore Tennessee and MSU. Win your opener at home. That helps get some positive attention. Putting out a number of wins isn't always helpful. BUT,it would be nice to win maybe 3 in the MAC with one being KSWho. I want to see a team thats playing noticeably better in November than in September. Still think there are too many questions at key positions, like QB among others to start counting wins.

• Like 1

Coach JoeMo has signed 41 players this year per the list on this site, many who are transfers with FBS experience.  I expect large improvements in the play as well as many more wins with the record.  I predicted a 7win season with a goal of 8 wins.  I do not think anyone else predicted more than 6 wins.  

A common statement among coaches and I heard the Indians manager Francona say this right before the all star break:

'You are only as good as your record says you are'.  

I think the major posters on this site have been used to such poor Zip performances that they have set the bar low.  In addition, the talent evaluation of this group for the most part does not exist.  I am staying optimistic/realistic and am expecting to go bowling.  

In Coach JoeMo we trust!!!!

• Like 2

Jim, I think everyone on this site hopes you are right. In the past all we had is hope. Now we have competence, experience, talent and a shared vision. I believe the Zips are destined for great things. See you at the end of the season wherever our bowl is.

Agreed, I really just want to see improvement between Arth era and JoeMo era. I'd also like to see more wins of course, and with that more support.

But yeah, all in all if the team is playing good football and we see vast improvements in this team as opposed to the junk Arth provided on the field, I'll be very happy. 

St Francis - W

Michigan St - L

Tennessee - L

Liberty - L

Bowling Green - W

Ohio - L

Central Michigan - L

Kent St - L

Miami - L

Eastern Mich - W

Buffalo - W

Northern Illinois - L

I think the offense under JoeMo will be much improved, but unfortunately, I don't think that the defense will be good enough this year. At least that will make for some high scoring, entertaining games to watch. 

4-8 Could surprise Ohio and make it to 5-7

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

St Francis - W

Michigan St - L

Tennessee - L

Liberty - L

Bowling Green - W

Ohio - L

Central Michigan - L

Kent St - L

Miami - L

Eastern Mich - W

Buffalo - W

Northern Illinois - L

I think the offense under JoeMo will be much improved, but unfortunately, I don't think that the defense will be good enough this year. At least that will make for some high scoring, entertaining games to watch. 

We're gonna beat either Tennessee or Liberty. Calling it now 😁

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

We're gonna beat either Tennessee or Liberty. Calling it now 😁

I'm with you 86, but both teams are playing at home so we can't count on a tragic bus accident to get the Zips the win in either of these games.

I'm predicting either the Volunteers or the Flames fall victim to a training table Salmonella outbreak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm with you 86, but both teams are playing at home so we can't count on a tragic bus accident to get the Zips the win in either of these games.

I'm predicting either the Volunteers or the Flames fall victim to a training table Salmonella outbreak. 

It’s not gonna be Tennessee, their quarterback and offense are electric - horrible matchup for the Zips D

Edited by MangoZip

18 hours ago, MangoZip said:

St Francis - W

Michigan St - L

Tennessee - L

Liberty - L

Bowling Green - W

Ohio - L W

Central Michigan - L

Kent St - L W

Miami - L

Eastern Mich - W

Buffalo - W L

Northern Illinois - L

Fixed it for you.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, MangoZip said:

St Francis - W

Michigan St - L

Tennessee - L

Liberty - L

Bowling Green - W

Ohio - L

Central Michigan - L

Kent St - L

Miami - L

Eastern Mich - W

Buffalo - W

Northern Illinois - L

Without Crum, Kent will fall back to earth and with how much Coach JoeMo takes pride in his rival record, there is no way we lose to them this year. 

• Like 1

St Francis - W

Michigan St - L

Tennessee - L

Liberty - W

Bowling Green - W

Ohio - W

Central Michigan - L

Kent St - W

Miami - W

Eastern Mich - W

Buffalo - L

Northern Illinois - L

7-5.

I watched inept, under-skilled, and under-sized Arth teams stay competitive in the MAC, ultimately coming up short for reasons Moorehead has already fixed (lack of coaching experience, talent, and size). I say it often: the MAC blows. Joe Mo & Co. will instantly make their presence felt. See y'all in Detroit!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1