Zips 70s logos question

Bought a cool Zips t-shirt today (from an Ohio company, no less) and I'm trying to figure out of the logo on it was a) an actual U of A logo at some point (70s, perhaps), or b) a creation of the t-shirt makers.

I'm 46 and from Akron, don't remember anything before the A-inside-football-shape logo that was similar to BYU's.  

Anyone know?

https://www.homage.com/products/akron-zippy-the-kangaroo

On 7/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, mrelegazna said:

Bought a cool Zips t-shirt today (from an Ohio company, no less) and I'm trying to figure out of the logo on it was a) an actual U of A logo at some point (70s, perhaps), or b) a creation of the t-shirt makers.

I'm 46 and from Akron, don't remember anything before the A-inside-football-shape logo that was similar to BYU's.  

Anyone know?

https://www.homage.com/products/akron-zippy-the-kangaroo

I bought that same Zips shirt and a Swensons one from Homage. Easily my two favorite shirts.

There was a "jumping" Zippy logo from the 80s so it would have to be before that. I've seen it on other old school apparel from different companies so my guess was used pre-70s too.  

• Like 1

Ooohh I've been looking for a gray Zips shirt. May need to get this one. Was hoping to buy one with the new logo, but not sure if I can wait. 

Sorry I don't have anything to offer on logo year. In fact, part of me was thinking if it was ever an official logo, or just a fan created logo for a retro look?