Game One

Zipmeister

3 hours ago, zipsrule said:

Did you fill out the survey for the free ticket?  Mine came this morning from that email address.

AHA, that must be it. Thanks. I vaguely remember starting a survey; don't recall finishing it. Everything on the email looked legit, I was afraid to click on the link they provided fearing that some really bad virus might be lurking.

Based on all indicators Joe is holding the cards close and not wanting to give opponents much to work with. I'd imagine against St. Francis it will be a continuation of that. It will probably stay a bit vanilla with a huge emphasis on execution. I'd imagine you wouldn't want your team getting too chesty about the scoreboard and being too flashy in the debut. Accountability of execution. Then on to Mich. St.  

15 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I hope DJ irons comes out in full force! I'm really hoping for a big year for him 

He has all the talent. Just needs to be smarter in both taking contact and decision making throwing the ball.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I’m anxious to see what our defensive scheme is. It seems like we are playing a 4-2-5 from the clips we’ve seen and what I saw in the 2nd half of the spring game But that could be misleading due to the defense matching up with the offense’s base 11 personnel. Could be similar to what UGA does where they are grounded in the 3-4 but bring an OLB down as a DE, shift the DL, and walk another OLB out in coverage giving look of a 4-2-5 and taking on some of its principals.

Pretty sure we are not playing a 3-3-5 like the guys from SBNation kept referring to.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I hope DJ irons comes out in full force! I'm really hoping for a big year for him 

https://podcasts.apple.com/bh/podcast/akron-zips-2-0-college-football-season-preview-2022/id1494554560?i=1000568041463

after listening to this podcast with Joe Dunn, have to be curious about Undercuffler's ability if DJ continues to turn over the rock.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:17 AM, zipsalum85 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/bh/podcast/akron-zips-2-0-college-football-season-preview-2022/id1494554560?i=1000568041463

after listening to this podcast with Joe Dunn, have to be curious about Undercuffler's ability if DJ continues to turn over the rock.

I’m guessing DJ is doing what he needs to do after being named a team captain and taken to MAC media days. He has the benefit of playing for one of the best offensive minds in college football, so we may see a night and day difference from last year. He wasn’t consistent from what I saw at the spring game, but he didn’t put the ball in harms way either.

We won’t know for sure until live action. He shouldn’t have too much issue against SFU, but if he can put on strong performances against MSU and Tenn., then he should be able to handle MAC defenses as well.

21 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I’m guessing DJ is doing what he needs to do after being named a team captain and taken to MAC media days. He has the benefit of playing for one of the best offensive minds in college football, so we may see a night and day difference from last year. He wasn’t consistent from what I saw at the spring game, but he didn’t put the ball in harms way either.

We won’t know for sure until live action. He shouldn’t have too much issue against SFU, but if he can put on strong performances against MSU and Tenn., then he should be able to handle MAC defenses as well.

I agree. I almost give DJ and most players a fresh slate in my mind. Although each player should play hard no matter what, it's no secret DJ (and the others) were coached by a bunch of guys in over their heads last season, and as the season went on I'm sure they all got a sense the program was an utter joke. Mindset can be a heck of a thing for talent. 

NOW, with a great staff and a tremendous head coach, the motivation and mindset for everyone has to be night and day. I truly think we are going to see a much, much better and motivated  Zips team out there this season. It may not equate to many W's as they are still growing, but I think us fans are going to be happy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I def hope for a great crowd next Thursday!! And I can guarantee the fans will be in full force October 1st after the Zips beat both MSU and Tennessee. 

EDIT: and Liberty

(Wishful thinking about those wins lol)

Edited by GoZips86

On 8/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, GoZips86 said:

I def hope for a great crowd next Thursday!! And I can guarantee the fans will be in full force October 1st after the Zips beat both MSU and Tennessee. 

EDIT: and Liberty

(Wishful thinking about those wins lol)

Foolish thinking. The Zips and Suckeyes both play at 3:30 on October 1st. We could win those games and the crowd would still be disappointing. People in Northeast Ohio would rather sit on their couch at home and watch a stupid team from Columbus beat Rutgers by 50. 

• Sad 2

A great week to be a Zip! It's finally here! Thursday is going to be special, I've got high, high hopes. Which scares me to death in a program and stadium that has done everything to beat the hope out of me for nearly its entire existence. 

I know nothing about SFpa. and will not pretend to. Looking at their season last year, they weren't much of a match for EMU to open the year, and they weren't as fortunate as Mr. Arth's Zips as they lost to the Bryant Bulldogs. A look at their schedules from previous years, and they along with 2021 opponent Bryant have also just recently begun playing FBS teams. They were on Buffalo's schedule in 2020 before it was canceled, and of course the EMU game last year. In the UA game against Bryant last year, which was an incredibly painful experience, it was obvious how much of a physical advantage the Zips had, but it didn't matter until the final quarter. They were much tougher than Akron despite the lack of size, speed, and skill. 

We don't have an official 2-deep, but we've got a lot to be intrigued by. I loved Irons' potential last year, but once he got hurt against Ohio he was never the same. Perhaps saving him from getting killed the last 8ish games will be good for his future. I have all the faith in the world in JoeMo + Fessler and the offensive staff to help with his decision making and ball security. He's one of the most athletic QBs in the league, and made plays against the likes of Auburn and Ohio State. I feel good-not-great about the UA QB situation going into week 1. I like opening against a team like this to ease into the new season and new system. Word out of camp is that Cam Wiley looks the part in the backfield. I loved what I saw from Norrils last year. Will Akron have a consistent rushing attack (sans Teon Dollard year) for the first time in decades? Wait to see! The thing I'm most excited for are the receivers--including the TE. Replacing Mumpfield, Mathison, Qualls, and Williams was no easy task, but this staff did that and then some. Daniel George has been phenomenal in camp, Alex Adams may be one of the best prospects to ever wear a Zip uniform, and Shocky Jaques-Louis is a seasoned vet who has done a lot of winning. Throw in Brank and TJ Banks and you've got options all over the place. What does this all mean if the O-Line continues to be swiss cheese? Not a damn thing. Joel Rodriguez is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. He's had a great young career with JoeMo and got his college football start with one of the best teams of all time at Miami back in the early 2000s. The line is big and experienced. They've also got the potential to take the next step.

Defensively? I'm hopeful, but not as sure. This will be an experienced unit with a lot of nice transfers sprinkled in, which I'm quite excited about. It will be so nice to see Bubba back out there on Thursday, that in itself is something to be pumped about. 

Overall, I see this as a vastly improved team already, simply based on the improved coaching staff. They put together a phenomenal recruiting class including a lot of transfers to get this thing turned around fast. JoeMo talks a lot about the seismic transformation that's going to take place. As the season has approached, I've started to feel the same way. I mean, how can it not work out this time? It's a perfect storm for Akron football to go where it wants to go. And the journey begins Thursday. Can't wait! Go Zips!!!!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A great week to be a Zip! It's finally here! Thursday is going to be special, I've got high, high hopes. Which scares me to death in a program and stadium that has done everything to beat the hope out of me for nearly its entire existence. 

I know nothing about SFpa. and will not pretend to. Looking at their season last year, they weren't much of a match for EMU to open the year, and they weren't as fortunate as Mr. Arth's Zips as they lost to the Bryant Bulldogs. A look at their schedules from previous years, and they along with 2021 opponent Bryant have also just recently begun playing FBS teams. They were on Buffalo's schedule in 2020 before it was canceled, and of course the EMU game last year. In the UA game against Bryant last year, which was an incredibly painful experience, it was obvious how much of a physical advantage the Zips had, but it didn't matter until the final quarter. They were much tougher than Akron despite the lack of size, speed, and skill. 

We don't have an official 2-deep, but we've got a lot to be intrigued by. I loved Irons' potential last year, but once he got hurt against Ohio he was never the same. Perhaps saving him from getting killed the last 8ish games will be good for his future. I have all the faith in the world in JoeMo + Fessler and the offensive staff to help with his decision making and ball security. He's one of the most athletic QBs in the league, and made plays against the likes of Auburn and Ohio State. I feel good-not-great about the UA QB situation going into week 1. I like opening against a team like this to ease into the new season and new system. Word out of camp is that Cam Wiley looks the part in the backfield. I loved what I saw from Norrils last year. Will Akron have a consistent rushing attack (sans Teon Dollard year) for the first time in decades? Wait to see! The thing I'm most excited for are the receivers--including the TE. Replacing Mumpfield, Mathison, Qualls, and Williams was no easy task, but this staff did that and then some. Daniel George has been phenomenal in camp, Alex Adams may be one of the best prospects to ever wear a Zip uniform, and Shocky Jaques-Louis is a seasoned vet who has done a lot of winning. Throw in Brank and TJ Banks and you've got options all over the place. What does this all mean if the O-Line continues to be swiss cheese? Not a damn thing. Joel Rodriguez is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. He's had a great young career with JoeMo and got his college football start with one of the best teams of all time at Miami back in the early 2000s. The line is big and experienced. They've also got the potential to take the next step.

Defensively? I'm hopeful, but not as sure. This will be an experienced unit with a lot of nice transfers sprinkled in, which I'm quite excited about. It will be so nice to see Bubba back out there on Thursday, that in itself is something to be pumped about. 

Overall, I see this as a vastly improved team already, simply based on the improved coaching staff. They put together a phenomenal recruiting class including a lot of transfers to get this thing turned around fast. JoeMo talks a lot about the seismic transformation that's going to take place. As the season has approached, I've started to feel the same way. I mean, how can it not work out this time? It's a perfect storm for Akron football to go where it wants to go. And the journey begins Thursday. Can't wait! Go Zips!!!!

Great post, Loyal! 

GO ZIPS!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Has anyone heard any attendance projections for Thursday night? 

I doubt anyone has any idea what the walk-up will be. I think it will be good for JoeMo's debut but not great since 1) it's a weeknight and 2) lack of recent success. It was pointed out on Twitter to my inquiring mind that the game is on Thursday so as not to conflict with Joe Akron's Labor Day weekend plans.

Edited by ZippyRulz

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Thanks for the great post!

I will piggy back off it with what I've heard from people who've attended practices and scrimmages:

• The team will probably go as DJ Irons goes. The other QB's aren't at his level right now. He's got to stay healthy.
  • Irons will not take the beating he took last season, where he repeatedly dropped back and got pummeled, and rarely threw quick-hitters.
  • The OL is perceived as "middle of the MAC" as far as talent. MUCH improved over last year. The new transfers from Houston and Penn State will start. Xavior Gray looks to be the starting LT. Hopefully with improved coaching he had a nice bounce-back season.
  • Wiley is getting rave reviews. That's good news, because I liked Norrils. 
  • The three transfer WR's are likely our #1, #2 and #3 wideouts. As a group they're perceived to be in the upper 1/3 of the MAC. 
  • TJ Banks looks to have secured the #1 TE spot. He's improved every week throughout the summer, and his size and athleticism are as good as advertised.
  • D-Line will be MUCH improved. Victor Jones is really good. His former Wyoming teammate Ravontae Holt it also very highly thought of, but may not make his debut until a couple games into the season. Harper also looks good.
  • Secondary is a work-in-progress. Didn't hear much exciting news about the d-backs. 
  • Didn't hear much about the LB's. Obviously it's nice to get Bubba back. Hope Boatang is 100% healthy. 

That's all I got. If any Zips insiders are lurking, now's the time to speak up!🦘💪

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Thanks for the great post!

I will piggy back off it with what I've heard from people who've attended practices and scrimmages:

• The team will probably go as DJ Irons goes. The other QB's aren't at his level right now. He's got to stay healthy.
  • Irons will not take the beating he took last season, where he repeatedly dropped back and got pummeled, and rarely threw quick-hitters.
  • The OL is perceived as "middle of the MAC" as far as talent. MUCH improved over last year. The new transfers from Houston and Penn State will start. Xavior Gray looks to be the starting LT. Hopefully with improved coaching he had a nice bounce-back season.
  • Wiley is getting rave reviews. That's good news, because I liked Norrils. 
  • The three transfer WR's are likely our #1, #2 and #3 wideouts. As a group they're perceived to be in the upper 1/3 of the MAC. 
  • TJ Banks looks to have secured the #1 TE spot. He's improved every week throughout the summer, and his size and athleticism are as good as advertised.
  • D-Line will be MUCH improved. Victor Jones is really good. His former Wyoming teammate Ravontae Holt it also very highly thought of, but may not make his debut until a couple games into the season. Harper also looks good.
  • Secondary is a work-in-progress. Didn't hear much exciting news about the d-backs. 
  • Didn't hear much about the LB's. Obviously it's nice to get Bubba back. Hope Boatang is 100% healthy. 

That's all I got. If any Zips insiders are lurking, now's the time to speak up!🦘💪

Responding to the bold in order...

1) I'm high on Irons. He was in a no-win situation last year, and the injury was team-induced. He also looks like he put in work physically in the off-season. 

2) LOVE hearing that Wiley is showing well. He's a BIG boy and it would be nice to have his size produce with so many change-of-pace/scat-backs behind him. 

3) Not surprised considering the programs they came from, but top 1/3 of the MAC is a high accolade considering the WRs the MAC (largely WMU) has sent to the NFL recently. 

4) How good are the TEs behind him?

5) Correct me if I'm wrong, but secondary can take a minute to gel, no? Is the talent there, but the chemistry is missing? Or are we undertalented? 

• Like 1