Game One

Zipmeister

46 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

A few takeaways:

- Moorhead said this recruiting class was Akron’s highest rated ever, including the transfers.

- He was somewhat hesitant or reserved in answering a few questions. One of them being if this looked like an FBS team. He did say yes, but he clearly thinks we aren’t where we need to be yet.

- Spoke highly of Irons. Also said Undercuffler doesn’t quite fit the mold for their offense but has enough mobility to do the things they ask out of RPOs, etc.

- Blake Hester is still a walk-on.

5 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

A few takeaways:

- Moorhead said this recruiting class was Akron’s highest rated ever, including the transfers.

- He was somewhat hesitant or reserved in answering a few questions. One of them being if this looked like an FBS team. He did say yes, but he clearly thinks we aren’t where we need to be yet.

- Spoke highly of Irons. Also said Undercuffler doesn’t quite fit the mold for their offense but has enough mobility to do the things they ask out of RPOs, etc.

- Blake Hester is still a walk-on.

"We want the high school players from Akron to stay in Akron...if they can play at the Division 1 level."

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Thanks for the great post!

I will piggy back off it with what I've heard from people who've attended practices and scrimmages:

• The team will probably go as DJ Irons goes. The other QB's aren't at his level right now. He's got to stay healthy.
  • Irons will not take the beating he took last season, where he repeatedly dropped back and got pummeled, and rarely threw quick-hitters.
  • The OL is perceived as "middle of the MAC" as far as talent. MUCH improved over last year. The new transfers from Houston and Penn State will start. Xavior Gray looks to be the starting LT. Hopefully with improved coaching he had a nice bounce-back season.
  • Wiley is getting rave reviews. That's good news, because I liked Norrils. 
  • The three transfer WR's are likely our #1, #2 and #3 wideouts. As a group they're perceived to be in the upper 1/3 of the MAC. 
  • TJ Banks looks to have secured the #1 TE spot. He's improved every week throughout the summer, and his size and athleticism are as good as advertised.
  • D-Line will be MUCH improved. Victor Jones is really good. His former Wyoming teammate Ravontae Holt it also very highly thought of, but may not make his debut until a couple games into the season. Harper also looks good.
  • Secondary is a work-in-progress. Didn't hear much exciting news about the d-backs. 
  • Didn't hear much about the LB's. Obviously it's nice to get Bubba back. Hope Boatang is 100% healthy. 

That's all I got. If any Zips insiders are lurking, now's the time to speak up!🦘💪

I’m really excited about the potential of the DL. Without knowing what scheme we are basing out of I don’t know what to think about our LBs, but I do like the players we’ve brought in along with the obvious returning ones. I expect our secondary will also be improved and much more physical judging by the guys we’ve brought in.

I think you nailed it on the offense. A lot of weapons there and if Irons steps up, this offense could be a juggernaut by year end.

Looking forward to seeing the OL play. We’ve got a fantastic OL coach and it’s only a matter of time before they are one of the best in the MAC. May not be this year, but soon.

• Like 1

The tarps were there last season as well FYI. I think they're fine and would expect they be removed if demand  ever warranted it.  With that said, I would prefer they were elsewhere (probably the top middle). The band sits on the left and usually the away fans on the right. The first 6 or so rows really aren't prime seats anyways..hard to get a good view of the entire play.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Just now, Let'sGoZips94 said:

And I will be in cell-service-less Mohican until Saturday afternoon. Bummed. 

Go Zips! For those going, welcome Joe Mo back to Akron loudly. Can't wait to watch highlights and read the board's takes.

Akron GameDay with excitement. Been a long time. 

Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the river float! Also the game is on ESPN3, so should be available for replay even without ESPN+ subscription.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

Website has been updated. It actually looks professional. That being said I still cannot find a depth chart. Let's go Zips! Get a W 

Agreed. It's nice to have a unified, professional look. Would be nice if the shop section had more updated apparel. I've been trying to get my hands on some nice Nike gear with the new logo. 

Still not really a fan of the "Rubik" font they are using in all of the graphics. Consistency is good but it seems like with such a sharp angled logo, a rounded soft font just feels weird. That's probably just the graphic designer in me being overly picky.