Game One

Zipmeister

20 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Basically I was underwhelmed by our line play. I think our poor line play, as one would expect, made everything else look bad. FBS -v- FCS, I was expecting to dominate the LOS both offensively and defensively. I'm still surprised we did neither. DJ could be better, but he was under a lot of pressure all night. Our OL, especially, needs to kick things up several notches or it's going to be a long, disappointing year.

St. Francis is a pretty mediocre FCS team at that. They last finished a season with a winning record in 2016 and most years hover around 5-6. If our offensive and defensive line gets dominated by them then I'm really concerned how bad it will look when we're facing FBS level competition

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Spin said:

Building a football roster, basically from scratch at several positions, is not going to happen overnight. Especially where the new coaching staff and scouting staff have to come together with a short calendar compared to the 127 other FCS programs who had months longer to recruit, sign, and play the transfer portal. This is NOT going to be an easy season. 

That said, with camp and practices and games under their feet, adjustments made, we should be knocking off MAC fodder by the end of the season. And have a crystal clear vision going into the next recruiting cycle, which has just started.

I forget, which of our last four conference foes are fodder: Miami, Eastern, Buffalo or Northern?

Someone asked about PFF ratings. Take it with a grain of salt as they weight big plays like sacks and interceptions way too heavily in my opinion. Here are the highest rated per position.

QB - Irons = 64.8

RB - Wiley = 73

WR - George = 72

WR - SJL = 71.8

TE - Banks = 64.9

OL - Banes = 75 (WTF?)

OL - Whigan = 67.2

OL - Gray = 64.4

OL - Williams = 63.3

DL - Harper = 64.1

DL - Johnson = 73

DL - Morton = 71.1

DL - Jones = 62.4 (WTF?)

LB - Terry = 64.2

CB - Durant = 83.1 (see what I mean)

CB - Hooks = 68

CB - Lewis = 66.8

S - Thompson = 59.9

I don’t want to blast individual players, so I’ll just say Whigan was our best OL. SJL best WR. Jones best DL. Bubba best LB (not listed). Golden-Nelson and Lewis best CB. JKP best S. None of that reflects in these PFF ratings. JoeMo even mentioned Jones as standing out in his presser today.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I forget, which of our last four conference foes are fodder: Miami, Eastern, Buffalo or Northern?

I have Balls and Butfalo circled on my calendar.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, Zipmeister said:

@Capt: What's your over/under on how many ZipsNation posters didn't get your Camp Granada reference?

jeff-dunham-peanut-peanut.gif

I had to think about for a while before the light dawned.

>97%? 😄 I'm glad anyone got it.

If you don't have a sense of humor, and a taste for alcohol, I don't see how you could endure being a Zips football fan. 

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, catdaddyp said:

Someone asked about PFF ratings. Take it with a grain of salt as they weight big plays like sacks and interceptions way too heavily in my opinion. Here are the highest rated per position.

Love the PFF ratings. Keep em comin! 👍 

• Like 1