Zips Commercial

ZachTheZip

I was just watching ESPN Sportscenter, when to my great suprise, a Zips basketball commercial comes on advertising the WMU game on ESPN2! I am truly amazed at this, as it is the first legitimate TV advertisement I have seen on a channel that I know people actually watch. I understand it is only broadcast in the local area, but this is a good step foward for Marketing and hopefuly the start of something even better.

Good find but here now is two steps back. As I was walking through the Union today I saw a Zips basketball Banner. Talking about the Zips game vs. WMU saturday at 7:00pm. Opppsssss what a minute I mean 4:00pm. Oh well I guess people will find out the real time.......

What really irks me is that radio add I hear all the time on 94.9. Sure it's great that we have an ad on a popular akron station, but that little "Fear the Roo" jingle at the end makes my skin crawl. "Fear the Roo" should be said with some some umph and in a deep raspy voice (like that guy that does the action movie previews), not sung 80's jingle style by some fairy.

I was just watching ESPN Sportscenter, when to my great suprise, a Zips basketball commercial comes on advertising the WMU game on ESPN2! I am truly amazed at this, as it is the first legitimate TV advertisement I have seen on a channel that I know people actually watch. I understand it is only broadcast in the local area, but this is a good step foward for Marketing and hopefuly the start of something even better.
Kid:Was it an ad that UA purchased or just a promo ESPN was running for the game?

I was just watching ESPN Sportscenter, when to my great suprise, a Zips basketball commercial comes on advertising the WMU game on ESPN2!  I am truly amazed at this, as it is the first legitimate TV advertisement I have seen on a channel that I know people actually watch.  I understand it is only broadcast in the local area, but this is a good step foward for Marketing and hopefuly the start of something even better.
Kid:Was it an ad that UA purchased or just a promo ESPN was running for the game?
It was definetely something UA purchased and produced. It encouraged people to go to the game, rather than watch it on TV.

InTheZone....I feel your pain. That's been talked about on here since football season.I've been in marketing and sales my entire career, and I am a UA graduate. That's a huge miscue to be communicating "fear the roo", without communicating any "fear". That's the whole idea of the slogan, to depict the Kangaroo in a more fierce mode, not in it's usual cartoon-ish mode. Does the basketball radio commercial still say "come fear the roo and support the zips" as if we - the fans - are the opponent?? The early-season commercials were saying it that way. I sure hope it's still not running that way. They have also, at times, been running ads for games....after they have been played.

What really irks me is that radio add I hear all the time on 94.9. Sure it's great that we have an ad on a popular akron station, but that little "Fear the Roo" jingle at the end makes my skin crawl. "Fear the Roo" should be said with some some umph and in a deep raspy voice (like that guy that does the action movie previews), not sung 80's jingle style by some fairy.
I absolutey agree. What marketing wizard came up with that jingle?! It couldn't possibly be any worse! While "Fear the Roo" is genius, the jingle they've come up with almost negates any coolness the slogan has! Unbelievable.

zip81 Posted on Jan 23 2007, 09:19 PM QUOTE (uakronkid @ Jan 23 2007, 06:20 PM) I was just watching ESPN Sportscenter, when to my great suprise, a Zips basketball commercial comes on advertising the WMU game on ESPN2! I am truly amazed at this, as it is the first legitimate TV advertisement I have seen on a channel that I know people actually watch. I understand it is only broadcast in the local area, but this is a good step foward for Marketing and hopefuly the start of something even better.  Kid:Was it an ad that UA purchased or just a promo ESPN was running for the game? 
I predict you will see the same commercial after this game is played.

The Fear the Roo campaign can have a long life -- the logo and how they use the campaign is what will need to change. I agree 100% using a zippy jingle about Fear the Roo is not the right use of the campaignHow long has Fear the Turtle been used by Maryland. Check out this site....it shows a University that is on the ball and embraces the campaign througout their school -- not just athletics. We'll make more commercials with Luis and never move to this realm.Fear the Turtle

That is a riot! Very well done!!!The best "interactive" ad I have seen to date is for the Philips Body Groom.One thing the U doesn't do any more is posting the high res images and wallpapers so fans like us can adorn our computers and more with them. They need to get back into that with screensavers, team photos, digital calendars, etc.One thing that I have seen done before is a script that will place all of a particular team's games onto your Outlook or Lotus Notes calendars. Think about it. Download a small file, run it and it places all of the basketball games right on your calendar. Might help remind a few people of upcoming games when they are looking to book time on the same day! ;)

Guys. The root of the problem is just our school in general. They just don't appear to think it's wise to bring in high-level talent that can accomplish these things. And it does cost money. So, for now I guess we will have to continue to settle for being a D-1 school with D-III efforts in these area.I talk to so many colleagues of mine that are UA grads, and frankly we're all beyond the point of frustration over these matters, and it's not accomplishing anything. The school needs to make a commitment to upgrade....plain and simple.

Guys. The root of the problem is just our school in general. They just don't appear to think it's wise to bring in high-level talent that can accomplish these things. And it does cost money. So, for now I guess we will have to continue to settle for being a D-1 school with D-III efforts in these area.I talk to so many colleagues of mine that are UA grads, and frankly we're all beyond the point of frustration over these matters, and it's not accomplishing anything. The school needs to make a commitment to upgrade....plain and simple.
This is just a thought, and I may be completely off base with this idea. When I was an undergraduate, a friend of mine actually ran the university's radio station , it was located in a closet in the dorms. Major companies give grants and contract all the time to universities to do research, or create computer programs, or to do polling data. Why can't the University of Akron approach the Marketing Dept. in our Business School and have the students or graduate students handle our sports marketing. I am sure they are smart enough and are very much aware of what's going on around campus. They couldn't do any worse than what we have got now, and probably at a much less cost. I know that I hired an intern in transportation from the University and she worked out very well for me. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

ZipsAlumn....That's not off base at all.A student would not have the know-how and creative expertise that high-level marketing people have. BUT, being students, they would have a good indepth knowledge of their target market (other students), and that is half the battle.You're suggestion that we can't do any worse is a very valid point.

I saw the commercial this evening (actually several times). I didn't mind that they used old footage. Most people (except us of course) will not notice (or know) that they used old footage. Sure it'd be nice to have current footage, but they did show Romeo several times. I'm just glad to see them advertising on TV for a game, especially on the network that most people who like sports will see, even if they only catch it in a bar.soon-to-be :champs::screwks::screwks::screwks: