running backs

gozips19

since it has been confirmed by several people on the board that johnson has enrolled at akron i started to think that the zips will have a pretty big log jam at the running back pos. kennedy is the returning starter who has shown flushes but most would agree has room for improvement. the positive is that he has two years left to work on his game. alex allen and arris reed are coming back from injuries. allen's injury was much worse and it will be interesting to see if he can to return to the exciting runner most saw in the spring game. reed also showed tons of speed and can be a great change of pace back. now we throw into the mix bryan williams who was a monster when he played in the city (95). williams has a great combo of size (for the mac) and speed (sub 4.4) he is already on record for choosing akron because of the chance to play rb. i don't know this for sure but i think he'll have 3 years to play 2. do you red shirt him or split time with DK? speaking of 3 years to play 2, akron will also have a very talented ryan brinson playing for akron next year. brinson was also a monster in high school and some suggest he'll also play running back next year. i would think either brinson or williams goes to the secondary after fall ball, perhaps red shirting. that leads us to johnson who after red shirting will have one year left to live up to his enormous potential. a former top running back in the nation, he'll expect to be a primary option. come 08-09 you'll have DK, johnson, and williams? all seniors and allen and reed as jrs. i expect allen to transfer if the newcomers live up to the hype. that being said this a great problem to have, what do you guys think? :screwks: that much i know

Pride is an incoming Freshmen and will probably redshirt, making him a (RS) FR in 08-09. As well you're forgetting Aaris Reed who will be a (RS) Soph. that year. So here's what it will look like in the 08-09...Dennis Kennedy SRAndrew Johnson SRAlex Allen SR (unless he is granted Medical RS)Bryant McMillon JRAaris Reed (RS) SOGary Pride (RS) FR or SO*Ryan Brinson SR (Could be playing DB)*Bryan Williams (RS) FR (He's coming from a Prep School which doesn't count against elgibility)+any additional recruits To be honest IMO it really doesn't look like a log jam to me, rather I think it's just solid depth and lots of talent.I could see Bryant McMillon transferring if he doesn't work his way into the lineup, but other than that I don't see anyone else who would leave.

nice catch tx zip, i wrote pride and was talking about reed. i also didn't include walker as he will be a senior next year. since the capt. confirmed that bryan williams will indeed have 3 years to play two. akron will have johnson, williams, and Dk as seniors. they will all expect to be the man and get the bulk of the carries that season. you'll also have talent at jr (allen) and so. (reed and poss. pride) i just don't see all of these backs wanting to carry the ball 5-10 times a game. i am of the train of thought that you should use one primary back (if one steps up) and have a very good change of pace back. if brinson is at the rb like the capt put in his update akron will have a log jam. i just wanted other people's opinion's on who will be around or who should get the rock? do people prefer running backs spelling each other after a few carries? again, its great that we can talk about all of this talent at akron! :screwks:

I wonder how much the shoulder he hurt at Central affected his running from that point on. He surely ran hard against Penn St. and NC State! Let's see what happens in the spring assuming he recovers 100%. :cheers:
Of the top 80 rushers in the nation last year, he had the lowest yards per carry. He just seems to make bad decisions on cuts, and gets tackled too easily by CB's. He's never a threat to break one. Conversely, he's great inside the 10 yard line. Unless, we got called for holding or an illegal procedure penalty.This was Kennedy's first year as the full time back. He's only a Junior. Maybe he improves in 2007? If he doesn't, it looks like they'll be several backs capable of stepping in. Hopefully one is a "game-breaker."

I read the Beacon Journal article about Bryan Williams today. Heck, it seems we have to find a way to use a guy that can run the football, and has track speed. How many times does Akron get a guy that was a First Team All-Ohio selection. Does anyone know if he still has possible eligibility problems? This might be why others might not have picked him up. I see he originally went to Pitt. I'm assuming he was another one of those Akron HS stars that all of you refer to when you talk about the group that chose Pitt over Akron during the ill-fated Owens era. Can anyone share anything else about this guy?