2022 Season Polls / Rankings

Games through Nov 2  (Gaucho Dan RPI, http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI Rank

15 Akron

18 FIU

68 VCU

147 Wright State

68 Michigan St

31 Indiana

34 blOSU

16 Pitt

54 Penn St

67 Duquesne

163 NIU

65 BUGS

198 Chicago St

87 Cleveland State

40 WMU

• Like 2

Jared says in this article that he thinks the Zips need to win this Sunday to ensure a spot in the NCAA tournament. I think with an RPI of #11, they're locked in for a spot, but I like his lack of complacency.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2022/11/04/ncaa-division-i-mens-soccer-university-of-akron-western-michigan-mid-american-conference-sam-tojaga/69616414007/

Before last night's game, the zips were #14 in RPI

After all of last night's results, the zips are #13 in RPI

Before the game

10.  Lipscomb    .6149

11.  Tulsa              .6125

12. UNC- Greensboro   .6061

13. Clemson         .6057

14.  Akron             .6021

strength of schedule (SOS) for Akron was 53

Opponent SOS was 48

15.  Penn             .6006

16.  FIU                .5996

after all of last night's games were complete

Clemson, which had been #13...jumped all the way up to #7...with a .6252 rating

Clemson last night defeated Duke 2-0   (duke was #4 in RPI before last night's loss)

10.  Vermont                   .6189

11. Lipscomb                   .6177

12.  UNCG                        .6074

13.  Akron                          .6039   (improvement from .6021)

SOS improved from 53 to 27

Opponent SOS dropped from 48 to 56

14.   Tulsa                          .6030

Tulsa had been 11 at .6125

they lost last night 2-1 in 2 OT's in conference tourney to Memphis

15.  Penn                          .6005

16.  Maryland                    .5978

I still think that the zips must win the conference tournament match to get a top 16 seed

if the zips go 0-1-1 in their last 2 games against Western Michigan, they will not get a first round bye 

• Thanks 2

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1/ncaa-mens-soccer-rpi

Akron is #13 in the NCAA RPI ranking Through Games Nov. 06 2022

(Gaucho Dan's realtime RPI ranking seems to be tracking well with the NCAA RPI rankings)

I agree that the Zips must win the MAC Tournament Championship game next Saturday to maintain an RPI ranking in the top 16 and get a first round bye.

As usual, RPI and the Tournament Committee are what matter.

I have confidence that Captain Sammy Tojaga who has played for a National Championship (on an unseeded Zips team) along with Captain Will Jackson, Johnny Fitzgerald, and Joey Paulus, who have been here one less year than Sammy and have only tasted one NCAA Tournament game, will rally our team for a victory this Saturday and a seed in the 2022 Tournament. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

As usual, RPI and the Tournament Committee are what matter.

I have confidence that Captain Sammy Tojaga who has played for a National Championship (on an unseeded Zips team) along with Captain Will Jackson, Johnny Fitzgerald, and Joey Paulus, who have been here one less year than Sammy and have only tasted one NCAA Tournament game, will rally our team for a victory this Saturday and a seed in the 2022 Tournament. 

I believe that we will win!

• Thanks 1

Looking at Gaucho Dan's latest RPI rankings as of this post and the Conference AQs (only WAC has yet to be decided), RPI rank for 48 teams falls out below. I can't see the committee not seeding a B1G or Big East team in the top 16. Indiana will likely seed ahead of Akron based on our head-to-head loss. Not sure how the committee will justify moving Georgetown up but probably will. Do we play WAC winner or Cleveland State on Thursday? I honestly have no clue but thought it would be interesting to look at this.

image.thumb.png.adf208e0905c325a8221464c78122ef4.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all of the research....and time putting together this analysis.

the computer numbers may show the zips as the #16 seed (meaning that they would get a first round bye)

Historically, the NCAA committee has favored the Big East teams and the Big Ten Teams over the MAC teams.   I expect that Georgetown and Indiana or Maryland to be seeded above the zips.

Based on the last 2 games, the zips will probably not get a top 16 seed

St. Louis won the A-10 tournament.

End of year results matter.   I think that the committee will seed St. Louis ahead of Akron.

St. Louis won a very competitive league.

Zip_ME87, I agree with you that the committee will likely give a top 16 seed to a Big Ten team and a Big East Team.   Georgetown went 8-1-1 in their league and lost in the conference finals.    Georgetown started their season with a 1-4-2 record.   They finished their season with a 10-1-1 record.    I agree with your logic about Indiana holding a convincing head to head win over Akron.    Maryland won the Big Ten regular season title and lost to Indiana in the conference tourney.   Rutgers must be playing great soccer to beat Ohio State in the semis and Indiana in the finals.

Like you, I have no idea what the committee will do.   Your format is a great way to look at the rpi rankings and the automatic qualifiers

Looking at RPI, the two at large teams (right behind Ohio State) are Loyola of Chicago with a 9-2-7 record and Butler with a 10-6-3 record in the Big East.   Loyola of Chicago played St. Louis to a 0-0 tie today and lost on PK's.  Butler started their season with impressive wins over Western Michigan and Marshall.  They lost in the big east semis to Georgetown.

Thanks much....for this great work.

Edited by TennZip
spelling/typos/grammer

California Baptist won the WAC on PKs 0-0 (3-1 PKs) v San Jose State and finished with an RPI rank of 104 per Gaucho Dan's rankings. http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI Rank The Lancers defeated the #4 (Utah Valley), #1 (Air Force), and #2 (San Jose St) seeds in the WAC to win the conference tourney title.

No change to the order of RPI rank I shared earlier. 

Zips v Cal Baptist or Cleveland State?

Perhaps Zips v San Diego led by Head Coach Brian Quinn (Aodhan's father)