Season opener at Florida International

We opened with a very good team at their place. We were the better team contrary to the idiocy of the play by play announcer. We have work to do, but we are deep and explosive. Our D was solid but lost cohesion in the last 10 minutes. That can be corrected with training and game experience together. Does anyone know why Malik not get much PT? I take to Jared last week and he said this could be a final four team if he can find leadership both on and off the field. There is a lot to be excited about with this team.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 7:28 PM, TennZip said:

The Zips back 4 and GK will need to be very strong Thursday night.

[B]FIU will play in a pretty good league (American Athletic Conference) in 2022.[/B]  FIU had 2 forwards selected for the pre season all conference team

Congratz on the win. Is Akron finally back, I hope so.

As far as the AAC being a good conference in soccer, thats debatable. The top 4-5 programs are decent in Tulsa, SMU, UCF, Charlotte and FIU. But half of the AAC was under .500 last year with Temple going 0-10 in conference. And come 2023 they will be losing UCF to the Sun Belt.

Here is a free scouting report for your next game against the VCU Rams, they were Marshall's 1st game. VCU was picked 3rd in the A10 behind St Louis and Rhode Island. Marshall had no problem with VCU winning 5-0. They played a 4-3-3 against our own 4-3-3. The first thing I noticed was they were small, Marshall's avg player is 6'3, and I looked on their roster and they only have 6 players over 6'0 tall. Marshall's speed and physical play bothered them from the onset. They played back from the beginning of the game and in the 1st half Marshall has the ball 77% of the time and also scoring only 3:20 into the match on a laser cross from the right hand side of the box. Marshall scored 2 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd and both halves looked alike, Marshall ended the game with 71% possession of the ball.

VCUs front line wasn't that active. They only had 2 shots the whole game and neither was on goal. Their midfield had trouble breaking through Marshall's defense and their back line was like a sieve. The only good thing was their goalie and he stood on his head, if not Marshall could have easily had double digit goals. 

VCU only got into the attacking 1/3 6 times and the 18 box once.

Game Stats

Goals Marshall 5 VCU 0

Shots Marshall 36 VCU 2

Shots on Goal Marshall 13 VCU 0

Corners Marshall 13 VCU 0

Time of Possession Marshall 71% VCU 29%

I don't like to say anything bad about who Marshall plays but if VCU turns out to be the 3rd best A10 team then the A10 would have to be really down. They were slow and for the most part unwilling to become physical.  

I agree with Jared…our Zips response to every FIU goal was huge. Yeah, I’d prefer not giving up 3 goals. But scoring after each and every one was huge. Way to keep our heads in the game and not let adversity get to us.

GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Did Gyuwon Chong receive any PT last night?

I thought our goalie looked really good last night. Would anyone with more soccer knowledge than me disagree with that? Btw, who was in goal for us last night?

Gyuwon Chong played 68 minutes and Mitch Budler did a great job in goal last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

On my phone, but there’s a great postgame locker room celebration video posted on @ZipsMSoc on Twitter.

per Will Meyer on IG, Will Portman should perhaps get a new phone and Snapchat. 😂

• Like 1

Speaking of Goalkeepers, FIU switched Keepers for the 2nd half but still couldn't thwart the Zips attack. Not sure what the FIU GK was doing so far up the pitch late in the game when Stefan kicked the ball past him, then blew by him and out ran the defenders to put the ball in the open goal for our 5th tally. Love watching the FIU fans who can be seen in the camera putting their hands on their heads in shock and awe. 😃

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

William Portman took control of the zips instagram stories yesterday.   William Portman is a very likable guy.    I am very glad that he is an Akron U. Zip.

William can play outside back...and he can also sub in at center back.

Speaking of center backs, Joel Sangwa is simply outstanding.  Rugged defender and he makes great decisions passing the ball.

Gyuwon Chong also looks like a great addition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Speaking of center backs, Joel Sangwa is simply outstanding.  Rugged defender and he makes great decisions passing the ball.

Great header off a corner kick, too. Didn’t need to jump…cheeky.