VCU - Home Opener - August 29

On 8/28/2022 at 1:02 PM, TennZip said:

comments from the VCU coach after their season opener

Their writeup says that the Akron-VCU game will be available on Espn Plus

https://vcuathletics.com/news/2022/8/25/mens-soccer-rams-drop-season-opener-at-14-marshall-5-0.aspx

My favorite line from that article since they played Marshall in their opener. "The Rams continue their road trip against former national champions, facing Akron on Monday, Aug. 29 at 7 p.m.". 😁

AKR 3-1 VCU FT

Dyson Clapier was MOTM, with 1 goal and 2 assists.  He was a terror down the Zips' left flank.  Could have scored even more but for some adrenaline-charged strikes over the bar.  There is no ceiling on how good Dice can become.

But the entire match immediately changed when Malik Henry entered the contest at RB.  His overlapping runs and crosses into the box opened up the Rams defense.  VCU had no answer to #5 and they never recovered.

And Gyuwon Chong is such a pleasant surprise.  He might end up being one of the best players on the squad.  Who knew!?!  Not I.  This guy can keep the ball from you in a phone booth.

• Like 4

The wind was a massive factor in the first half, it was truly an equalizer. Once Malik got in there for the Zips, everything changed and it was like Akron soccer of old, dominating the possession and running wild. He and Dyson could take this team to the next level this year. Let's hope. Not a great match for Wan Kuzri, I look forward to his bounce back. Go Zips!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This team has it all. Malik is insanely quick and an absolute game-changer. Chong is the ball-control/facilitating MF we've needed since Nagbe's departure. Sangwa is everywhere on defense. Clapier is a great wing compliment to Malik. 

This team could be special. 

Agree 100% about Henry. VCU's outside backs were no match for Henry's speed and deft touch. I could almost see the whites of the defender's eyes from my phone as I watched.

• Like 1

Discussion:  "Malik Henry, best Akron wing back since DeAndre Yedlin."  I have seen no live games, only film, but he appears to have similar speed to overlap offensively and possesses an excellent target pass.  I notice he lines up in an attacking position on free-kicks in the final third.  Does he have unlocked scoring potential?

37 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Discussion:  "Malik Henry, best Akron wing back since DeAndre Yedlin."  I have seen no live games, only film, but he appears to have similar speed to overlap offensively and possesses an excellent target pass.  I notice he lines up in an attacking position on free-kicks in the final third.  Does he have unlocked scoring potential?

Agreed.  Best RB since Yedlin.  Not so sure about scoring, but....