Game 1: SFU @ Akron ZIPS - Score Prediction (POLL)

AKSportsFan

Game 1: SFU @ Akron ZIPS - Score Prediction (POLL)  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with 3 scores. Only because IMHO we will not show all our cards(yet). They will put 30 on the board, but there will be some garbage TD scored by SFU at some point.....

On 8/29/2022 at 3:32 PM, MangoZip said:

I think this game will be closer than we want through the first half. Zips will be playing for real for the first time in a new system and likely make a few mistakes. From what I have read, SF has a ball control offense. They will want to control the clock and keep the ball away from the JoeMoe O. Zips get more comfortable in the second half and finally make some plays. 27-14 win.  

Unfortunately, I pretty much called this except it was close the whole way. A lot of new players playing together for the first time so I think they’ll improve but it going to rough the next few weeks. O line has to make some major improvements fast. 

• Like 1

These are basically "preseason" games for college teams. Just like we are for MSU. Only difference is that they count for something. Just want to get out with a win and healthy. With a boat load of stuff to work on.

If I were SFU I probably would have just passed every play. Didn't seem like the Zips could defend that at all.  

Looks like Bryant is playing FIU tough tonight, so at least we didn't have the worst FBS performance. 

On 9/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, akzipper said:

These are basically "preseason" games for college teams. Just like we are for MSU. Only difference is that they count for something. Just want to get out with a win and healthy. With a boat load of stuff to work on.

If I were SFU I probably would have just passed every play. Didn't seem like the Zips could defend that at all.  

Looks like Bryant is playing FIU tough tonight, so at least we didn't have the worst FBS performance. 

Iowa beat South Dakota State 7-3.

2 safeties and a FG for Iowa.

Nebraska struggled with North Dakota.

Akron winning that game Thursday was big. SFU came with everything. They were fast, well coached, and talented. At the end of the day, the W is what matters and we got that. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Akron winning that game Thursday was big. SFU came with everything. They were fast, well coached, and talented. At the end of the day, the W is what matters and we got that. 

Agreed. I was impressed with SFU. They had the two best QB's on the field that night & definitely came to play. 

In watching the ESPN replay the announcers were more than impressed with the poise, accuracy, and command of the offense which both SFU's QB's possessed while being awfully lukewarm on Irons (and they were being gracious).

I know Ball Coach JoeMo was playing to win & obviously feels Irons gives us the best chance to do so. But -v- MSU I doubt the game will be within one score in the 2nd half (hope it is!) so I'll guess JoeMo will have the opportunity to experiment with Undercuffler & see what he brings to the table in game action.  

As an aside, NCAA teams should be allowed one scrimmage per year.  High schoolers scrimmage and so does the NFL, why not NCAA?  The first NCAA games of the year are often... rough around the edges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When Scott Frost gets fired later this season, the portal is going to get flooded with Nebraska players because they really like Scott. I'm hoping Joe can sign a couple of them.

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Agreed. I was impressed with SFU. They had the two best QB's on the field that night & definitely came to play. 

In watching the ESPN replay the announcers were more than impressed with the poise, accuracy, and command of the offense which both SFU's QB's possessed while being awfully lukewarm on Irons (and they were being gracious).

I know Ball Coach JoeMo was playing to win & obviously feels Irons gives us the best chance to do so. But -v- MSU I doubt the game will be within one score in the 2nd half (hope it is!) so I'll guess JoeMo will have the opportunity to experiment with Undercuffler & see what he brings to the table in game action.  

As an aside, NCAA teams should be allowed one scrimmage per year.  High schoolers scrimmage and so does the NFL, why not NCAA?  The first NCAA games of the year are often... rough around the edges.

These next 2 games are tune ups for Liberty. Liberty is a HUGE opportunity to make a statement as a program against a legitimate G5 school. We are much more talented than we were last year, and I'm hoping JoeMo & Co. can get the system more in place by that game. Stay healthy, and let's see what happens. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

These next 2 games are tune ups for Liberty. Liberty is a HUGE opportunity to make a statement as a program against a legitimate G5 school. We are much more talented than we were last year, and I'm hoping JoeMo & Co. can get the system more in place by that game. Stay healthy, and let's see what happens. 

Be interesting to see how our 2 recruits that wasn’t eligible for us & was picked up by Liberty do against us.  One a local kid

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If any of their best players liked the feel of Akron's size and facilities and wanted to play in FBS and could help our team.... and Loretta PA is just an hour-ish east of Pittsburgh. 

Edited by ZippyRulz

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

If any of their best players liked the feel of Akron's size and facilities and wanted to play in FBS and could help our team.... and Loretta PA is just an hour-ish east of Pittsburgh. 

Guthrie 🥷 needs to send their players the Fan Experience Apology email. 😅

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Iowa and VT always seem to struggle against FCS and lower FBS teams. Almost like every year one of them goes down, especially the Hokies. This year they lost to Old Dominion who most predicted to finish dead last in the Sun Belt. 

A win can be ugly, but as Zips fans we have no room to complain. 1-0. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I for one was impressed with the quality of their players. Some were outstanding and would look good in blue and gold. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

It seemed like whenever they showed the SFU coach on TV he was either yelling at the refs or yelling at his team. I'd be doing anything I could to get the hell away from that. 

6 hours ago, akzipper said:

It seemed like whenever they showed the SFU coach on TV he was either yelling at the refs or yelling at his team. I'd be doing anything I could to get the hell away from that. 

When I played youth ad high school football and other high school and college sports, coaches were always yelling.  It turned out to be great experiences for my 35+ years of business career.  As a matter of fact, all of the coaches said that yelling showed they cared, and we better get concerned if the yelling stops.  Plus, if you whisper during a football game, nobody will hear you.  I was valedictorian, and I remember one time I made a mental mistake in HS football practice and was dressed down and told that I could not pass a test; I was motivated.  It is quite obvious that you never played sports past TBall since you never experienced constructive yelling.   In all my years of coaching TBall and youth sports, I never yelled once, but that was not Division I sports.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

When I played youth ad high school football and other high school and college sports, coaches were always yelling.  It turned out to be great experiences for my 35+ years of business career.  As a matter of fact, all of the coaches said that yelling showed they cared, and we better get concerned if the yelling stops.  Plus, if you whisper during a football game, nobody will hear you.  I was valedictorian, and I remember one time I made a mental mistake in HS football practice and was dressed down and told that I could not pass a test; I was motivated.  It is quite obvious that you never played sports past TBall since you never experienced constructive yelling.   In all my years of coaching TBall and youth sports, I never yelled once, but that was not Division I sports.  

See also military boot camp.

It worked well for Woodie Hayes and Bobby Knight, to name a few. My high school football coach left a profound impression on me.