2022 MACtion Talk

zippy5

BG goes up big on Toledo

Toledo comes back to take the lead with a minute to go

BG marches down the field to score a TD +2 with a couple seconds to go to win it 42-35. Probably the best game in series history. 

The garbage Falcons with a terrible coach are still in contention for the east. Unbelievable. 

Just finished watching the BG Toledo football game.  Toledo made an amazing comeback to take a one-point lead and then BG had an incredible drive in the last minute to win.  The Falcons were awful just a couple of years ago, and now they are bowl eligible.  I know they were playing in Toledo, which is close to BG, but what was amazing to me was the amount of BG fans that were present, and the weather was awful as it was raining or snowing most of the game.  It looked like there were many BG fans present, including students, and Akron cannot get students to home games.  The Administration needs to figure out how to get students and fans to the games.

Go Zips!!!

I was one minute behind you.  

Edited by bigjim

32 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Oh to know what it feels like to play meaningful football late into the season. Envious and kudos to BG and their students. Big win on the road in a rivalry game. Bowling in this day and age is meaningless ... I beg to differ.

BG has won 6 games this season. Toledo has won seven.

Akron has won eight...eight games over the past 5 years combined.

Tough to get fans and students to turn out when that level of football has been played. There are 4-year graduating seniors who have seen their alma mater win a combined 4 games in their UA tenure. Holy hell...

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

Oh to know what it feels like to play meaningful football late into the season. Envious and kudos to BG and their students. Big win on the road in a rivalry game. Bowling in this day and age is meaningless ... I beg to differ.

Precisely. It's huge.

At the end of the season only four teams will have any shot to play for the national championship, but at the beginning of the season there are really only ~five-ish true contenders anyway (in that respect college football is seriously broken and, frankly, uninteresting for 98% of college fans, but I digress).

But the bowl games are great! One of the best times of the year! Young men playing the sport they love & that they've focussed most of their respective lives on playing. Bowls give a rightful sense of accomplishment & exposure. They give the athletes another month of practice to hone their skills, usually a pretty cool trip to the bowl sight (even if it's not a tropical location, the hosting sights do a great job of treating the young men like kings), make life-long memories and stories to tell, and the opportunity to win a big-ass trophy.  If you like football, then what the hell is not to like?!

Can't wait till we're playing meaningful football in November & get to another bowl game.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

BG goes up big on Toledo

Toledo comes back to take the lead with a minute to go

BG marches down the field to score a TD +2 with a couple seconds to go to win it 42-35. Probably the best game in series history. 

The garbage Falcons with a terrible coach are still in contention for the east. Unbelievable. 

There is a very real shot they play Toledo again in the MAC-C. Assuming Buffalo beats us, they'll be playing Kent State the last week of the season in a toss up and BG plays Ohio.  Rourke looks like he got injured pretty good last night...A win for BG vs Ohio would give them the tiebreaker over the Bobcats. Essentially just need Buffalo to lose one of the last two and BG beat OU.

Edited by LZIp

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

There is a very real shot they play Toledo again in the MAC-C. Per ESPN (unsure how accurate), BG currently owns the tiebreaker over Buffalo and has one game left against Ohio. Rourke looks like he got injured pretty good last night...A win vs Ohio would give them the tiebreaker over them.

Isn't the first tie breaker head to head?  If so, BG lost to Buffalo 38-7, which would give the tie breaker to Buffalo.

1 minute ago, zipsrule said:

Isn't the first tie breaker head to head?  If so, BG lost to Buffalo 38-7, which would give the tie breaker to Buffalo.

You caught me before I edited. BG is only showing ahead of Buffalo right now because Buffalo hasn't played their week 11 game yet.

From Hustle Belt: https://www.hustlebelt.com/2022/11/16/23461777/this-is-maction-bowling-green-falcons-toledo-rockets-42-35-bowl-eligibility-battleof-i-75-mac-2022

Bowling Green must defeat Ohio on the road in next Tuesday night’s regular season finale. In addition, the Falcons must rely on either Akron or Kent State to knock off Buffalo — which would win a three-team tiebreaker involving Buffalo, Bowling Green, and Ohio should all three MAC East teams finish 6-2 in conference play.

Ohio was known for late season collapses when Solich was running the show. Healthy, I think they would beat Toledo in the title game. Now, it's not looking like a slam-dunk that they will even go to Detroit. In a discussion of the worst teams to ever win a division in the MAC, 2022 BG would be up there with 2017 Akron.

After our game against Liberty, I thought to myself that Akron would have a very outside shot at a bowl, a division title, a conference title, but could certainly win a couple MAC games. After the devastating loss to BG, my hopes remained of the outside chances. After the devastating loss to CMU, I thought they were finally going to get their chance to start winning a couple, against their rival next week, no less. After that devastating loss, I thought "maybe we could at least play spoiler in one of these last games." And now is our chance. As long as Kent doesn't win the East, I don't really care who does at this point. It would be awesome to be partially responsible for Buffalo missing out on Detroit, especially having not won there since 2005, which seems impossible considering where each program was at that point in time. A foot of snow, a revitalized run game, a chance to play spoiler...could be a weird Saturday in Buffalo, and a lot of MAC eyes will be on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

Just finished watching the BG Toledo football game.  Toledo made an amazing comeback to take a one-point lead and then BG had an incredible drive in the last minute to win.  The Falcons were awful just a couple of years ago, and now they are bowl eligible.  I know they were playing in Toledo, which is close to BG, but what was amazing to me was the amount of BG fans that were present, and the weather was awful as it was raining or snowing most of the game.  It looked like there were many BG fans present, including students, and Akron cannot get students to home games.  The Administration needs to figure out how to get students and fans to the games.

Go Zips!!!

I was one minute behind you.  

There is not much amazing about Falcon fans showing up in numbers to watch their team play at their nearby long-time hated rival's place. They did that when they were lousy. Now that they are competitive a little bad weather wasn't going to stop them from making the trip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

There is not much amazing about Falcon fans showing up in numbers to watch their team play at their nearby long-time hated rival's place. They did that when they were lousy. Now that they are competitive a little bad weather wasn't going to stop them from making the trip.

Please read my last two sentences.  How do we get the alumni and students to support the University of Akron in the same way?  Intelligent replies are hoped for so that the Administration can build the same model.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Please read my last two sentences.  How do we get the alumni and students to support the University of Akron in the same way?  Intelligent replies are hoped for so that the Administration can build the same model.

Good question. I've love to see more people there. Last year they ran a thing where one student at each home game, if they were in attendance, would get a $5,000 scholarship or something. And I don't even think that helped much. I forget the details on that drawing, but that was essentially it. 

I of course have nothing to do with these decisions, but even sometimes I sit here thinking of ideas. I'd love to see the stadium rocking. Yes, I know winning will help, but still though.... 

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Precisely. It's huge.

At the end of the season only four teams will have any shot to play for the national championship, but at the beginning of the season there are really only ~five-ish true contenders anyway (in that respect college football is seriously broken and, frankly, uninteresting for 98% of college fans, but I digress).

But the bowl games are great! One of the best times of the year! Young men playing the sport they love & that they've focussed most of their respective lives on playing. Bowls give a rightful sense of accomplishment & exposure. They give the athletes another month of practice to hone their skills, usually a pretty cool trip to the bowl sight (even if it's not a tropical location, the hosting sights do a great job of treating the young men like kings), make life-long memories and stories to tell, and the opportunity to win a big-ass trophy.  If you like football, then what the hell is not to like?!

Can't wait till we're playing meaningful football in November & get to another bowl game.

This is one of the best posts on this board in a long time. The television networks want a playoff because they will make a ton of money destroying a great American tradition like bowl games in order to shovel crap into American living rooms. Yaaaaay 

In my opinion, college football should benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general communities around the schools. How do you bring as many of these groups together as possible?  A bowl game is a great way to do that. There are events at these games where many of these groups are together celebrating a good season and their school. These games are good clean fun for everyone and that is something that should be embraced and fostered not destroyed by TV networks. Maybe at an event a player encounters an alum and the starter relationship where the alum mentors the player and maybe one day hires the player. Maybe a player and another student meet at the game and strike up a lifelong friendship. Maybe a fan meets the players and realizes that almost every player is a good guy and the impression this fan has of the school grows. 

Last year I went to the Gator Bowl to watch Wake Forest. They stayed at the Omni on Amelia Island (I'm actually in the Courtyard on AI as I type this). There is a downtown Fernandina Beach that's awesome. When the players weren't playing they would go to the town and walk around together or with their parents. All of them spoke to every fan who talked to them and would thank them for coming to the game. I'm sure the same thing was going on at Jacksonville Beach where Rutgers was staying. Akron students, alumni, fans and general community need more of this in their lives. This is more important to UofA than a college football playoffs. 

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, GoZips86 said:

Good question. I've love to see more people there. Last year they ran a thing where one student at each home game, if they were in attendance, would get a $5,000 scholarship or something. And I don't even think that helped much. I forget the details on that drawing, but that was essentially it. 

I of course have nothing to do with these decisions, but even sometimes I sit here thinking of ideas. I'd love to see the stadium rocking. Yes, I know winning will help, but still though.... 

Zips football has been historically bad during these student’s entire lives except for one season (8-5, when Bowden still gave a crap. Which was good for 3rd place in the East). Being a (non-traditional) student during that time, they were still a laughingstock among students and educators. “Yay we won the Idaho Potato Bowl!! Ha ha ha…” When students live within an easy walk (or bus ride) of the stadium, get in free, and find something more fun to do, it’s not going to be easy to change that culture.

It would take sustained winning, a couple wins against P5 teams, and lots of positive news to change the culture. 

In Joe we trust.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 4