2022 MACtion Talk

zippy5

Ohio should of lost to Fordham. The game was ugly. 228 yards in penalties. The officials made it about them. What cost Fordham is they were down by one and driving. They got flagged for holding and their coach flipped out and slammed down his headset... They flagged him for unsportsman. That put them too far behind on the chain. On the last play they tried razzle dazzle. They ended up fumbling it and Ohio returned it for a score. 

27 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

...228 yards in penalties. The officials made it about them...

You can add this to the growing list of reason fans don't attend games. Nothing worse then being pumped about a football game that turns into a flag fest. I only wish I could watch college football condensed (40min) versions like the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

You can add this to the growing list of reason fans don't attend games. Nothing worse then being pumped about a football game that turns into a flag fest. I only wish I could watch college football condensed (40min) versions like the NFL. 

Side note: I wish there was a college equivalent to NFL RedZone. I know there are way, WAY more games to flip between, but I think it would be doable after the number is condensed due to blowouts.  

I have no problem with penalties as long as there was a penalty. I saw Clemson get flagged for three straight pass interference penalties Saturday. Every one of them was a penalty. 

What bothers me about college penalties is the amount of time it takes to administer a penalty. Almost as bad as the reviews and college clock rules. 

As long as we are discussing things that bother me, I can't stand fans who think refs should equal out the number of penalties per team. What if one team just stinks and commits a lot of penalties?  Why should the refs have to equal that out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I have no problem with penalties as long as there was a penalty. I saw Clemson get flagged for three straight pass interference penalties Saturday. Every one of them was a penalty. 

What bothers me about college penalties is the amount of time it takes to administer a penalty. Almost as bad as the reviews and college clock rules. 

As long as we are discussing things that bother me, I can't stand fans who think refs should equal out the number of penalties per team. What if one team just stinks and commits a lot of penalties?  Why should the refs have to equal that out?

Well said. Different sport, but there were a few people complaining a lot about the MAC Championship basketball game. For those reading who made not remember, this is when Akron defeated Kent State by the final score of 75-55, with Sincere Carry doing a dance for the camera after making a 3ptr. while still trailing the Zips 34-33. I think Akron committed 7 fouls in the game, and forced approximately 65 turnovers. Kent fans openly complaining about the foul disparity when the Zips simply didn’t foul, they played excellent defense. It happens sometimes. 

• Like 2

I still disagree that a football carrier gets credit for a touchdown (or two point conversion) if he manages to touch a part of the football to a part of the goal line marker which is completely out of bounds.  In basketball they don't score a shot as a goal if it grazes the outside of the rim.

Edited by Zipmeister

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Side note: I wish there was a college equivalent to NFL RedZone. I know there are way, WAY more games to flip between, but I think it would be doable after the number is condensed due to blowouts.  

The problem is there is no one network that owns the right to simulcast all FBS games. The NFL owns RedZone so when they reached a TV deal agreements with Fox/CBS they reserved the right to show live highlights. There is no centralized party to do the same for college football

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The problem is there is no one network that owns the right to simulcast all FBS games. The NFL owns RedZone so when they reached a TV deal agreements with Fox/CBS they reserved the right to show live highlights. There is no centralized party to do the same for college football

The NCAA could easily put together a similar package.

6 hours ago, GP1 said:

What bothers me in this current state of football is how almost every deep pass thrown results in PI if its not caught. It's ridiculous. Sometimes there is PI, absolutely, but it seems like because there is a deep pass and because the home crowd wants a call, its almost likely a flag is being thrown. So annoying. 

5 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

What bothers me in this current state of football is how almost every deep pass thrown results in PI if its not caught. It's ridiculous. 

What is ridiculous is the pee poor play of defensive backs. The first instinct of DBs now is to grab receivers when one approaches or the ball is in the air. 

A good step would be a rule change to mirror the NFL. They commit interference because it is only a 15 yard penalty. 

PAYWALL WARNING:

https://theathletic.com/3635348/2022/09/28/middle-tennessee-miami-football-unlv-jmu/

Great little blurb on "fixing the MAC"

Mentions that when you think about it, MAC teams, many of whom start 1-3 because of how they schedule, sometimes only get to have their home fans tailgating on Saturdays 2-3 times a year tops due to how the schedule works out. Specifically mentions how the big rivalries MUST be on Saturdays. It isn't just MAC fans that see this stuff and understand it. Smart minds in the college football media see the MAC killing itself year in and year out, and we've seen it fall far from where it was a decade ago.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 7:35 PM, GoZips86 said:

What bothers me in this current state of football is how almost every deep pass thrown results in PI if its not caught. It's ridiculous. Sometimes there is PI, absolutely, but it seems like because there is a deep pass and because the home crowd wants a call, its almost likely a flag is being thrown. So annoying. 

At least in college it’s only a 15 yard penalty.

In the pros you can intentionally remove a guy’s head and only get 15 yards. But maybe…maybe not…judgement call…touch a wr’s elbow on a 50 Hail Mary and you get a 50 yard penalty.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, Zipmeister said:

I still disagree that a football carrier gets credit for a touchdown (or two point conversion) if he manages to touch a part of the football to a part of the goal line marker which is completely out of bounds.  In basketball they don't score a shot as a goal if it grazes the outside of the rim.

Re: another pet peeve of mine - has the NCAA shorted the distance that a player on the kick-off team can be off-sides before being flagged?

I as watching a college football game last weekend when an official actually called off-sides on a kick-off; I was stunned.

I see Akron was included in ESPNs most recent edition of America's 10 worst teams. UA 6th worst & BGSU 7th worst

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34776918/college-football-bottom-10-welcoming-oklahoma-red-river-rout?platform=amp

Edited by AkronAlumnus

Kent went up 21-0 6 minutes into the game @ Toledo. Right after the Zips’ heartbreaker. Man, I couldn’t believe how bad the day was going. 

Then had a few beers and found peace in the result at Info, and see Kent wound up losing 52-31! Always a beautiful day when those a-holes go down, especially like that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...