Game 2: Akron ZIPS @ Michigan State - Score Prediction (POLL)

AKSportsFan

Game 2: Akron ZIPS @ Michigan State - Score Prediction (POLL)  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MSU by 3 scores. I do not expect to win this game and I’m not too concerned with the final score. I just want to see improvement and also some other players given a chance that did not see much, or any, PT last week. 

Games like this are a great time to find who is a “gamer.” Some players perform better in game situations than in practice. We also need to build depth and the best way to do that (with the current roster) is give guys PT. 

• Like 1

Western Michigan is a pretty solid MAC program, and they lost 35-13 to MSU. I'm guessing the Zips are two TD's worse.

Shocky the World? Probably not. Give me 49-13 MSU.

I'd be thrilled to see us have some success running the ball, and protect Irons better than last week.  Defensively, give me somebody with some speed. 

Week 1 we looked like a bunch of freshman, incumbents and transfer mercenaries thrown together in a 4 week camp. Joe and Co. now have some game tape to work from. I think the Zips will look better this week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I had no idea it was up to the underdog to cover the spread as suggested by your poll.

Is this something new; maybe related to the portal or NIL?

Very difficult to predict a score in a favored team can name-the-score game like this one.

I'll go with the Spartans by twenty safeties.

Ha. My bad. You can tell how often I place bets....  It's would be up to MSU to cover. Fixed it.

Edited by AKSportsFan

We aren't yet dangerous enough to pull off a Northwestern or Pitt type upset. A win for me would be keeping it respectable. No 49-7 type games. Also looking forward to see any lineup mix ups as a result of week 1. Most importantly, stay relatively healthy. 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Following last week's debacle, my first thought was MSU by 5+ scores.  then, I remembered that the greatest improvements in football occur between weeks 1 and 2, but this concept will apply to both teams.  I looked at the MSU roster and I do not know any players, but I think the lines tell a story.  I also watched some film from the MSU vs. WM game.  Their OL is huge and deep.  They look like they will pose a huge problem.  The DT's are also huge and deep.  Our OL may have problems opening inside holes.  The DE's are not that big, but they put a very good pass rush on the QB.  MSU's QB, WR's, and RB's look good but not great.  Also, early in the 4th Q, WM was only down 8 points followed by 2 late MSU TD's.  

With the analysis above, I am modifying my prediction to say Michigan State by 4 scores.  

• Like 2

Most of the predictions I've seen give us too much credit for improvement this week. We do not have the talent to stay with MSU. Coaching and new players will make little impression on our team's fortunes. Our journey continues with slow growth. 51-10 MSU.

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Most of the predictions I've seen give us too much credit for improvement this week. We do not have the talent to stay with MSU. Coaching and new players will make little impression on our team's fortunes. Our journey continues with slow growth. 51-10 MSU.

I think 72 has his finger on the pulse of the team so I am modifying my prediction from 20 safeties to 20 safeties and an extra point.

I think the Zips could back-door cover this one if they can force a turnover or two and get some points on the board in the second half. Of all the things that concerned me about last week, the two that will kill us the most this week are the trenches and speed on defense. MSU is huge and physical, and I see them being all over Irons as soon as the ball is snapped, and UA's lack of a pass rush will be very evident. The problem is, even SFU was able to get the edge on running plays to create chunk plays and get to the second level. MSU will be able to both bully the Zips up the middle, and take them to the outside. 

I'm hoping the defense can step it up in the red zone and be sort of a bend-don't-break defense, not allowing huge touchdowns and holding MSU to some field goals. I would be ecstatic if the Zips had the ball down a score in the second half like WMU, but I simply do not see it. 45-13.

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

silly question, but does anyone know when Zips Weekly and Live are airing this season, as well as the stations? I haven't seen anything put out by the Athletics Dept.

Zips Weekly was on TV last night.  I think it was on channel 36, Bally Sports Great Lakes.  It also looks like it is on again at 1030 this morning.  

• Like 1