Game 2: Akron ZIPS @ Michigan State - Score Prediction (POLL)

AKSportsFan

Game 2: Akron ZIPS @ Michigan State - Score Prediction (POLL)  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

We are so in trouble without Irons. I'm not sure what Jennings can offer, but Undercuffler is far from someone I'm confident in now. Oof. 

Maybe he just needs a week to prepare as starter? I dont know, but geez. 

Unless they're shooting him up with Michael's Secret Stuff, I didn't see any tools that make me confident he can deliver at the DI level. Teams will be able to stack the box and focus on the run. 

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Unless they're shooting him up with Michael's Secret Stuff, I didn't see any tools that make me confident he can deliver at the DI level. Teams will be able to stack the box and focus on the run. 

Yeah, I think I'm just trying to grasp at some type of hope. ☹️

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

He had 1 good FCS season. In his 3 other seasons he had netted 18 TD’s and 15 INT’s. 

Yes sir.  He red shirted as a freshman in 2018 playing 4 games.  As a R-Fr, he had his breakout season.  In 2020, the Colonial Athletic Association canceled fall sports due to Covid.  However, they were allowed to play some independent games, and I do not know if they played any games or how many.  In 2021, he was injured and played just 3 games.  So, there is good reason that his stats were weak the other seasons.  

Go Zips!!!

6 minutes ago, bigjim said:

So, there is good reason that his stats were weak the other seasons.  

Go Zips!!!

Yes. He’s a mediocre FCS QB. If he’s our QB the rest of the season we’ll be lucky to win another game. If Iron’s is healthy we have a chance to win 5 more. 

• Like 1

I wasn't able to watch all of the game, but was wondering why Undercuffler was put in. I hope Irons is able to get back, but being carted to the locker room is not a good sign. He was looking good. If there's any sign who our QB1 was...we now know. Zips competed tough the first quarter and a half.

Also,strip drills all week! 6 fumbles (4 lost), is totally unacceptable and kept us from points on at least 2 drives

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

Out of curiosity, while they got destroyed, did they at least play better?

We had better statistics (outside of the turnover department) than MSU until Irons got hurt. We were moving the ball almost at will, and the defense was getting enough stops that - had Irons been healthy the whole game - would've made it at least interesting come the 3rd and 4th quarters. Instead, once Irons went out, our offense died which forced our defense on the field quite often, which tired them out, which led to a scoreless butt whooping. 

Captain said it best in different words: we're absolutely screwed without Irons. With Irons, make sure you keep Dec. 3rd free just in case. 

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Yes. He’s a mediocre FCS QB. If he’s our QB the rest of the season we’ll be lucky to win another game. If Iron’s is healthy we have a chance to win 5 more. 

Thank you for another post that makes me laugh.  First of all, Undercuffler did not perform at all yesterday.  His play was not good at all, but all I did was state facts to refute a very poor post.  If you look at the facts, Irons almost lost to a FCS team in SFU.  This is the same team , SFU, that lost to Richmond by more than they lost to Akron.  They are not a good team and almost beat my alma mater.  I predicted 7 wins based on the transfer portal.  But as I watch games now, it looks like most teams used the portal to pick up 20+ players, so Akron was not special at all in using the TP.  Whoever QB's or plays, I have and will continue to support them.  

I wasn’t able to watch the game yesterday, but I was able to listen and follow along in this thread. I hope to watch some this week when I have a chance. 

It really sounded like the offense started to find a groove, they just couldn’t catch a break with the fumbles. Maybe they weren’t ready for the physicality of a team like that? Get used to it, we’ll see plenty more. Defensively? Love love love getting TOs! That’s how they can win some MAC games. Arth’s teams were helpless in creating turnovers, and it’s really hard to win when you don’t get a couple. That was promising. 

Im concerned about the huge uptick in penalties, though. That was one of the  more impressive things from week 1. Can’t have that either. 

And as much as I’m a skeptic of Irons, I wish we had him back and I’m hoping this injury isn’t too serious. I have faith in JoeMo for this season and for the future, I just know DJ fits his system well and may have started to figure some things out before he went down. 

It doesn’t get any easier. Just gotta be ready for October 1. Go Zips!

• Like 1

Much of the disappointment on here is driven by unrealistic expectations coming into the season.  The Zips now have an FBS level staff that can build a program, but it isn't going to happen overnight.  Top kids are not going to rush to a program with the recent record of the Zips.  Also, every school is utilizing the transfer portal and while it helped the Zips fill some holes every other school benefited as much or more from the portal.

This team won 3 games in 3 seasons coming into this season.  A three or 4 win season would be a vast improvement to the last three years.  I'm confident Morehead's the guy to get it done but we need to recognize that he's a coach, not a miracle worker.

I'm not going to judge Undercuffler just yet.  The kid was unexpectedly thrust into his first FBS game in a Big 10 stadium in front of 75,000 hostile fans with limited practice opportunities with Akron's first offense.

• Like 2