Tuesday September 13th - Undefeated Ohio State comes to Cub Cadet Field.

I want to give credit to the coaching staff for making a key adjustment.   The zips were getting run over in the first part of the 2nd half.   Akron's holding midfielders were not getting the job done.

Akron's coaching staff stopped OSU's momentum by moving Jonas Buechte to holding midfielder.    Jonas did a much better job of holding on to the ball in the midfield.  Jonas made a spectacular play......and made a great pass to Stefan Dobrijevic.   Dobrijevic made a great header for the 3rd goal.

The coaching staff first brought in Frias to replace Jonas as CB.   Frias (to be kind) did not shine.  Coaches again made a quick adjustment to bring in the reliable veteran (William Portman) to play center back.

I think that last Friday night and tonight clearly show that the Zips need Jonas Buechte most at Holding midfielder.   If the coaches had not made the adjustment when they did, I am convinced that the Zips would have lost tonight.

Yes, there were times during the game...where I was upset with the lack of possession....and non marking on corner kicks.

However, the zips played this game without their best player....(IMHO).....Dyson Clapier.    Captain Will Jackson has missed the last 2 games.   I thought that Ashton Kamdem played a good game at left defensive back.   All MAC selection in 2021 ...Ryan Kingsford...is not 100% healthy .    

Stefan Dobrijevic had by far...his best game as a zip.    He was very active.    It is very hard for a freshman to step in for a star like Clapier.   However, I applaud Stefan for the huge strides in his game.   Stefan's give and go with Malik Henry...when the zips were playing 10 on 11...did not lead to a goal.....but it was beautiful soccer by Stefan and Malik.      The zips will be better down the road....as Stefan had to have gained tremendous confidence tonight

Yes, we will remember Shooky's red card...and Shooky will be really missed in the game at Pittsburgh.   That being said,  Shooky had his best game as a zip.    He really showed his speed tonight.    His assist to Kingsford was outstanding.   His goal involved very good decision making and great skill.

This game was super physical.  13 fouls for one team and 9 fouls for another team.   The ref lost control of this game.   When the zips were down 2-1, they were getting mauled.   I am proud of the effort that the team made to fight back to take the lead.    Credit again to the coaches for the Buechte move. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TennZip said:

However, the zips played this game without their best player....(IMHO).....Dyson Clapier.    Captain Will Jackson has missed the last 2 games.  

This game was super physical.  13 fouls for one team and 9 fouls for another team.   The ref lost control of this game.   When the zips were down 2-1, they were getting mauled.   I am proud of the effort that the team made to fight back to take the lead.    Credit again to the coaches for the Buechte move. 

Where is Chong? 

These refs have never officiated a blOSU game.

53 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Terrible effort by the Zips GK on that last goal. That ticked me off. And I’m disappointed in Shooky, but it is what it is. 

The Zips were pretty short handed, but overall turned in an okay performance. It doesn’t get any easier either. 

GK Mitch Budler was caught wrong footed on that last goal.  True.   Zips' overall team defending against Corner Kicks continues to be awful.  

But make no mistake about it; the heroics of GK Mitch Budler kept the Zips in the match.  With an average GK the Zips lose this match by several goals.

No, it doesn't get any easier.  @PIT,  @PSU, Duquesne

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TennZip said:

I want to give credit to the coaching staff for making a key adjustment.   The zips were getting run over in the first part of the 2nd half.   Akron's holding midfielders were not getting the job done.

Akron's coaching staff stopped OSU's momentum by moving Jonas Buechte to holding midfielder.    Jonas did a much better job of holding on to the ball in the midfield.  Jonas made a spectacular play......and made a great pass to Stefan Dobrijevic.   Dobrijevic made a great header for the 3rd goal.

I saw Sam Tojaga was dressed yesterday. And I know it’s been ages since he’s played, but he could be another useful option at holding midfielder if he can get back fit. No clue where he stands in his injury recovery, or how it would affect his ability after being out so long, but he was top quality when he was playing.

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I know he was hurt. I was more or less asking what is the story on his injury. Timetable for return?

seeing how Guyon’s foot looked relative to his leg following that takedown on the ESPN+ replay, I unfortunately don’t believe any time soon.