The World of College Football

GP1

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Oddly enough, Vantrease beating Nebraska may very well cost Iowa State Matt Campbell.

This is interesting decision for Matt Campbell. At this point it would be a possible lateral move. Nebraska could offer up more money but Matt turned down the Detroit Lions. A job he could of made more but the risk of getting fired is high. I think the Nebraska job is the same way. High risk high reward. At Iowa State you can have stability being a big fish in a small pond. 2 of the perennial powers are leaving your conference. The new playoff format means you can make it by winning your conference and not having to be ranked particularly high. The flip side to that is do you think the BIG 12 is capable of sustaining itself. If you don't think so then where does Iowa State fit in the landscape of a new conference? The BIG 10 isn't going anywhere and is pumping money into the veins of its schools like a junky. If you think you can turn Nebraska around, there is a lot of upside. I think for Matt, ever pro has a con. 

For Nebraska, the Frank Solich curse is real. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

This is interesting decision for Matt Campbell. At this point it would be a possible lateral move. Nebraska could offer up more money but Matt turned down the Detroit Lions. A job he could of made more but the risk of getting fired is high. I think the Nebraska job is the same way. High risk high reward. At Iowa State you can have stability being a big fish in a small pond. 2 of the perennial powers are leaving your conference. The new playoff format means you can make it by winning your conference and not having to be ranked particularly high. The flip side to that is do you think the BIG 12 is capable of sustaining itself. If you don't think so then where does Iowa State fit in the landscape of a new conference? The BIG 10 isn't going anywhere and is pumping money into the veins of its schools like a junky. If you think you can turn Nebraska around, there is a lot of upside. I think for Matt, ever pro has a con. 

For Nebraska, the Frank Solich curse is real. 

I'd stay at ISU over Nebraska if I were him. Lifestyle isn't going to change too much if you're making 5mm vs 7mm annually. Set for life and future generations either way, and there is much more risk at Nebraska, when on the other hand, he's basically a God at ISU

16 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Scheduling 1 FCS, 2 home and home, and 1 money bag game had been the norm for years. It's only in the last 5-10 years or so that scheduling 2-3 money games has started gaining steam at the MAC level.

Reality is pretty much all MAC schools were spending and expanding their campuses expecting enrollment to keep growing. Now that it's falling they're all struggling to just get by. As migration shift continues it's only going to keep getting worse. The places that have benefited are places like Georgia, Carolinas, Tennessee, etc as people are moving where the climate is never. This allows conferences like the Sun Belt to expand their budget

Truth. You brought up the bigger problem that I've been noticing looking at population loss in Rust Belt Ohio. This is a state with ten D1 universities, a total of fourteen public universities. College enrollment is dropping. Akron has two other D1 universities within a half hour (with me driving) and another one within an hour. I don't want to restart the consolidation topic but if you're going to discuss upgrading the football program you might want to look at the region. How many college fans living in this saturated market are migrating south or west and leaving their snow shovels behind?

The popularity of college football in Ohio outside of 411 Woodie Hayes Drive is baaaad. The MAC averaged 15,333 fans per game, worst in the FBS. Ten FCS programs drew better (none in Ohio BTW). It's a catch 22. You can put together a really nice season and play in a bowl game, but the public sees you getting smoked by a couple B10 behemoths. Or try to make up those seven figures through professional marketing (bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha) and winning games.

Neither is guaranteed to work.

Edited by Spin

Call me crazy, but I think living in our region of the country is going to be more desirable as time goes on. We have a significant amount of the most valuable resource in the world right here - water. Anyone see what's going on out west? No water, no electricity, forest fires, warming temperatures. Happy to vacation there, but I wouldn't want to live there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Oddly enough, Vantrease beating Nebraska may very well cost Iowa State Matt Campbell.

This will be very interesting to see what Campbell does. Prior to Campbell, Iowa State was somewhat like the Nebraska of the Big 12. The Big Ten would be a step up in competition, especially given the Big 12's ever changing landscape over the next few years. It would be similar to going from Toledo to ISU (bigger jump than ISU to Nebraska, but you get the picture). His style fits the Big Ten (big, physical WRs and a solid run game), too. 

I also saw PJ Fleck as a candidate for the job. Fleck needs to keep his boat docked in Minnesota, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Call me crazy, but I think living in our region of the country is going to be more desirable as time goes on. We have a significant amount of the most valuable resource in the world right here - water. Anyone see what's going on out west? No water, no electricity, forest fires, warming temperatures. Happy to vacation there, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Not crazy at all.

32 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This will be very interesting to see what Campbell does. Prior to Campbell, Iowa State was somewhat like the Nebraska of the Big 12. The Big Ten would be a step up in competition, especially given the Big 12's ever changing landscape over the next few years. It would be similar to going from Toledo to ISU (bigger jump than ISU to Nebraska, but you get the picture). His style fits the Big Ten (big, physical WRs and a solid run game), too. 

I also saw PJ Fleck as a candidate for the job. Fleck needs to keep his boat docked in Minnesota, in my opinion. 

I don't see why PJ would make that move. To start all over to just be in the same position. ... besides he has 10,000 lakes to row is boat in. 

• Haha 2

If I were in Fleck or Campbell's shoes, I'd need Ryan Day/Lincoln Riley type money to even start the discussion for stepping into that mess.  Tommy Frazier and Johnny Rodgers are not going to be reincarnated.

I remember Jim Rome once implying that Jim Boeheim must cheat as there's no other rational explanation for his ability to get the top basketball players in the country to go to Syracuse, NY.  You'd need that same kind of magic for Lincoln, Nebraska.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If I were in Fleck or Campbell's shoes, I'd need Ryan Day/Lincoln Riley type money to even start the discussion for stepping into that mess.  Tommy Frazier and Johnny Rodgers are not going to be reincarnated.

I remember Jim Rome once implying that Jim Boeheim must cheat as there's no other rational explanation for his ability to get the top basketball players in the country to go to Syracuse, NY.  You'd need that same kind of magic for Lincoln, Nebraska.  

In the 80s and 90s, they had an impressive and obvious steroid program. 

4 hours ago, Spin said:

Truth. You brought up the bigger problem that I've been noticing looking at population loss in Rust Belt Ohio. This is a state with ten D1 universities, a total of fourteen public universities. College enrollment is dropping. Akron has two other D1 universities within a half hour (with me driving) and another one within an hour. I don't want to restart the consolidation topic but if you're going to discuss upgrading the football program you might want to look at the region. How many college fans living in this saturated market are migrating south or west and leaving their snow shovels behind?

The popularity of college football in Ohio outside of 411 Woodie Hayes Drive is baaaad. The MAC averaged 15,333 fans per game, worst in the FBS. Ten FCS programs drew better (none in Ohio BTW). It's a catch 22. You can put together a really nice season and play in a bowl game, but the public sees you getting smoked by a couple B10 behemoths. Or try to make up those seven figures through professional marketing (bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha) and winning games.

Neither is guaranteed to work.

This is interesting, you bring up very valid points re: saturation. I had always believed that Ohio football was the mecca of football. I wonder how UC compares to the rest of the AAC/Big12

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

This is interesting, you bring up very valid points re: saturation. I had always believed that Ohio football was the mecca of football. I wonder how UC compares to the rest of the AAC/Big12

IMO it's a hotbed of high school football, pro football, and one college. I can see it in a way, the Bengals lost three Super Bowls, the Browns haven't made it. Then there's a top ten college program (the only one that gets ranked most weeks), with the name "Ohio" that everybody can get behind, and wins national championships. Five thus far. I can see that being popular, and I can see how fans from the other dozen colleges that play football shrug and wonder why. That's how I was raised, my parents were from central Ohio.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It's interesting how many recruits from all across the country come to Lincoln and mention how much better it was than they expected.

Strangely enough, I lived in Lincoln for 6 years. It's the nicest place in which I have ever lived.

When I lived in Milwaukee, I was puzzled that there were a few guys who worked with me, but lived in Madison.

After living in Lincoln, I understand why they did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GP1 said:

Nebraska has become the Arizona State of the Big Ten only ASU has less of a history and monumentally better fans.

Interesting comment. Are you old enough to remember the 1975 Fiesta Bowl? In that game, 11-0 Sun Devils defeated the 10-1 Big12 Runners-up Cornhuskers and claimed what some still consider Frank Kush and the Devils' only national championship.  At the season's conclusion USC, Oklahoma and Arizona State each won media polls as the #1 team in college football.  The Trojans and Sooners split the UPI and AP polls, while Arizona State won the Sporting News poll. Sporting News was not considered "as official" a determinate -- perhaps a "lesser" poll, so today "officially" only OU and USC are recorded as co-champs but don't take that argument to Tempe!

On 9/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, kreed5120 said:

Scheduling 1 FCS, 2 home and home, and 1 money bag game had been the norm for years. It's only in the last 5-10 years or so that scheduling 2-3 money games has started gaining steam at the MAC level.

Reality is pretty much all MAC schools were spending and expanding their campuses expecting enrollment to keep growing. Now that it's falling they're all struggling to just get by. As migration shift continues it's only going to keep getting worse. The places that have benefited are places like Georgia, Carolinas, Tennessee, etc as people are moving where the climate is better. This allows conferences like the Sun Belt to expand their budget

BG, Miami, Cincy and Ohio U enrollments are up.  OU just announced its freshman class is the largest and highest GPA ever.