Game #3 - @ Tennessee Volunteers

Captain Kangaroo

I wish we were facing them with our starting QB, and the team we saw for the first 1.5 quarters (3/8th's) of the Michigan State game. But I'm not too confident that will be the case.

Regardless - The wife and I will be in Knoxville to cheer on the Zips. I was there 33 years ago when they had Carl Pickins, Chuck Webb, and a host of other NFL-caliber players. It was a great time. I think we lost 52-9, but that was irrelevant. 😁

• Like 3

I was there in 2012, Bowden's first year, when we jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a pick six, took the lead 23-20 in the second quarter on 70 yard run by Quentin Hines, and were only down 30-26 into the 4th quarter. I felt like I was the only Zips fan in the entire stadium that day (went with some Vol fan friends) and boy was I making some noise. They pulled away at the end for a final that didn't reflect how close the game was, but man, 100,000 people dead silent listening to you go nuts is an incredible feeling.

• Like 4

Joe breaking the news to George that Tenn. beat Pitt 😂😂

The man is a joy to listen talk about football, that’s for sure. Listening between the lines it sounds like we’ll see Undercuffler on Saturday. Coach noted his jitters and nerves in that environment, hopefully he’s more ready to take the field in Knoxville and get a scoring drive or two on the board. The biggest issue in losing Irons on Saturday, coupled with the fumbles, is that the way the Zips were controlling the ball kept it from being a blowout. If they had gotten points on the board to start the game and kept moving the ball a bit, they wouldn’t have won, but it would have also been far closer than 52-0 at the end. 

The Zips looked like a Division 1 football team for a bit on Saturday. What an improvement! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not like this game at all.

Due to what Tennessee did by dropping Army and adding us instead, IMHO a huge Black Eye for both Schools(Us for $$$ and them dropping a Military Academy).

This game could get ugly fast, especially with Irons out. However with the decision of dropping Army and picking us up, could be used as serious chalkboard material.

I don't see a win, but if what I said above happens, it could get really interesting.....

Edited by lance99

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Joe Mo almost letting it slip (again) that most of our roster wasn't even FBS level prior to his arrival. 

Also, the media is in class every time they talk to Joe Mo. He is a football professor. 

From what I can tell, out of the 25 players who have transferred out since I started tracking:

- 2 are now at JUCO

- 1 at FCS level

- 4 at D2 level

- 1 at D3 level

Either I just can’t find where the other 17 went or they are not playing football this year. That’s rough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Joe Mo almost letting it slip (again) that most of our roster wasn't even FBS level prior to his arrival. 

Also, the media is in class every time they talk to Joe Mo. He is a football professor. 

Arth did not bring in much talent, but Bowden also left the cupboard pretty bare when he left.  Not sure who did worse.  

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

From what I can tell, out of the 25 players who have transferred out since I started tracking:

- 2 are now at JUCO

- 1 at FCS level

- 4 at D2 level

- 1 at D3 level

Either I just can’t find where the other 17 went or they are not playing football this year. That’s rough.

I would love to see the names of those who left and if they were on scholarship or walk-ons.  However, that may not be appropriate to list names.  

19 hours ago, BuckeyeZippy said:

UT has the Gators on deck (top 25 matchup), Zips +48.5 in a look-ahead spot?

Anyone tune into Tennessee/Pitt this week, any review?

Solid team all the way around, but not world beaters. I think you'll see a team similar in talent to MSU.

Winning against Florida will be the difference between them finishing 3rd or 4th in the SEC East. This week could very well be a look-ahead game and a bit of a let-down game after a nail biter in overtime the week before. I would mix in a lot of back-up players in anticipation for the SEC starting. They have two winnable games after Akron against UofF and at LSU...then Alabama in Knoxville. It would be pretty tempting to play a risk free game if I was the TN coach and set myself up for a potential great start to SEC play. I'd take the Zips +48.5.

32 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

ESPN showing 47.5.  That's a lot of points.

They can score some points, that’s for sure. Last year they went up 28-0 before the 1st quarter ended on a South Carolina team that won 7 games and blistered UNC in the bowl game. UT puts a tremendous amount of stress on the linebackers and safeties. Unfortunately for us, our S play has been below average to date.

20 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Best interview I’ve seen with JoeMo so far. 

It was great to hear some excitement about the freshman. Joe knows he has something cooking here. I’m incredibly excited about the future of our LBs with Fish, McCoy, and Griffin. I also can’t wait to see the freshmen OL develop.

Just need to get through these next two weeks with minimal injuries and hopefully find a few more players that will provide depth come conference play. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigjim said:

I would love to see the names of those who left and if they were on scholarship or walk-ons.  However, that may not be appropriate to list names.  

They posted on social media so I’m assuming it’s fine to post here. I updated in the position previews as well.

QB - Joey Marousek = Baldwin Wallace

WR - Oran Singleton = Hutchinson CC

TE - Nick Dottore = Morehead State

DT - Janirr Wade = Jones CC

LB - Kyle Bischof = Walsh

LB - Connor Francz = Walsh

LB - Jake Miller = Slippery Rock

LB - Brandon Bischof - Slippery Rock

• Thanks 1

For anyone making the trip -

Tennessee football game day information

Parking/Tailgating Info

My goal is to tailgate in the Fort Sanders area. If you see a Zips flag waving in the wind, feel free to stop by. I'm sure I can find a cold beer somewhere in my cooler for you! 😁🦘🏉💪

• Like 2

17 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

They posted on social media so I’m assuming it’s fine to post here. I updated in the position previews as well.

QB - Joey Marousek = Baldwin Wallace

WR - Oran Singleton = Hutchinson CC

TE - Nick Dottore = Morehead State

DT - Janirr Wade = Jones CC

LB - Kyle Bischof = Walsh

LB - Connor Francz = Walsh

LB - Jake Miller = Slippery Rock

LB - Brandon Bischof - Slippery Rock

Good info catdaddyp.  I think the breakdown is indicative of the level of talent the Arth administration was bringing in.  The kids are now at their level of football competency.  I wish them well.

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good info catdaddyp.  I think the breakdown is indicative of the level of talent the Arth administration was bringing in.  The kids are now at their level of football competency.  I wish them well.

FWIW (and I'm not saying talent level didn't need upgraded), only 4 of them were scholarship players - Marousek, Singleton, Wade, and B Bischoff. B Bischof was brought in by Bowden and Singleton is def a D-1 player...was getting many reps by the new staff. I think grades were issue there. Marousek and maybe Wade would have been the only real whiff there by Arth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1