Game # 5: vs. Bowling Green Falcons (Homecoming 2022)

LoyalZIP

I saw one weather projection early this morning that Hurricane IAN may be entering southern Ohio early Saturday morning.  Uncertain of the rate of the storm moving at that time.  If it is true that it gets to southern Ohio, we are unsure if it will get to Akron by game time.  Let's hope that the game stays dry and a major storm does not occur during game time.

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Liberty was -26.5. These lines are useless at times. 

They're not an indication of the quality of the teams, they're set to get an equal number of gamblers to bet on each team. 

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Could you give some highlights of what you remember from JoeMo?

He talked a lot about his staff and how they’ve managed this year, despite a lot of them being on the younger side. Mentioned that it’s hard to build an experienced staff with the budget he’s got. Which kind of goes back to that Athletic article. Said BG will be a tough matchup, they’ve got a nice little pass rush. And McDonald is an experienced QB that can put points on the board in the offense. 

Also, on the topic of coaches being out for games (Loefler missed BG’s game last week, hope he’s doing well): he talked about his experience with diverticulitis last year. When asked who is next in line if anything like that happened at Akron, he said coach Fess (QB coach Billy Fessler). I found that very interesting, he’s very young but has an impressive resume for his age. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

He talked a lot about his staff and how they’ve managed this year, despite a lot of them being on the younger side. Mentioned that it’s hard to build an experienced staff with the budget he’s got. Which kind of goes back to that Athletic article. Said BG will be a tough matchup, they’ve got a nice little pass rush. And McDonald is an experienced QB that can put points on the board in the offense. 

Also, on the topic of coaches being out for games (Loefler missed BG’s game last week, hope he’s doing well): he talked about his experience with diverticulitis last year. When asked who is next in line if anything like that happened at Akron, he said coach Fess (QB coach Billy Fessler). I found that very interesting, he’s very young but has an impressive resume for his age. 

Is there anywhere online to listen?

14 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

When asked who is next in line if anything like that happened at Akron, he said coach Fess (QB coach Billy Fessler). I found that very interesting, he’s very young but has an impressive resume for his age. 

This is his protégé. Played for Joe at Penn State, and was a Grad Assistant at Mississippi State under Joe.  

Ask Michigan how well having a JoeMo protégé on staff worked out for them. Spoiler alert: they beat OSUcks, and JoeMo's game plan while he was at Oregon (and beat OSUcks) was credited, which Josh Gattis (former assistant under JoeMo at Penn State) copied. 

Interestingly enough, Gattis went to Miami to be their OC under Cristobal. So Mario filled the JoeMo void with a piece of the JoeMo coaching tree. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

13 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is his protégé. Played for Joe at Penn State, and was a Grad Assistant at Mississippi State under Joe.  

Ask Michigan how well having a JoeMo protégé on staff worked out for them. Spoiler alert: they beat OSUcks, and JoeMo's game plan while he was at Oregon (and beat OSUcks) was credited, which Josh Gattis (former assistant under JoeMo at Penn State) copied. 

Interestingly enough, Gattis went to Miami to be their OC under Cristobal. So Mario filled the JoeMo void with a piece of the JoeMo coaching tree. 

That's a nice little pull right there! I'm hoping that in addition to Joe sticking around for a few years, a lot of those young guys on staff get a few years in here before they inevitably move on to bigger and brighter things. I also like to think that down the line, some of these guys who will become great coaches will remember their time at Akron in a positive light and see it as a great place to take their first job as a coordinator or even the head coach. I loved this hiring strategy by Joe from the start, these guys are the real deal.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That's a nice little pull right there! I'm hoping that in addition to Joe sticking around for a few years, a lot of those young guys on staff get a few years in here before they inevitably move on to bigger and brighter things. I also like to think that down the line, some of these guys who will become great coaches will remember their time at Akron in a positive light and see it as a great place to take their first job as a coordinator or even the head coach. I loved this hiring strategy by Joe from the start, these guys are the real deal.

If you give JoeMo the rosters that Arth had, I think we would've been closer to .500 in MAC play during that stretch. That's how much I believe in JoeMo and his staff. To fill a G5 program with P5 coaches, no matter their experience, goes a long way. We see more and more connections and statements that prove JoeMo has quite the positive reputation in the college football coaching world, and he's our guy.