Game # 5: vs. Bowling Green Falcons (Homecoming 2022)

LoyalZIP

On 10/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, LZIp said:

Why in the hell do we have a true freshman out there fielding punts when we have Shocky and Grimes as options? Not only did he turn it over, he tried to call a fair catch at the 3 yard line.

While backpedaling...ballgame. Absolutely breathtakingly bad.

Edited by ZippyRulz

I think the word that sums up this team is inconsistent.  At times they ran the ball well and others couldn't run at all.  Irons made some nice passes, but also held the ball too long and took several sacks that he didn't need to take.  The defense made some plays, but also allowed too many running players where BG gashed us for 9 or 10 yards.

Edited by zipsrule

We gave them the game as much as they won it. This team can win a few games in conference play, but have to stop beating themselves. The staff would appear to still have multiple holes that need upgraded as well, but that wasn't all going to happen in one short offseason.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We gave them the game as much as they won it. This team can win a few games in conference play, but have to stop beating themselves. The staff would appear to still have multiple holes that need upgraded as well, but that wasn't all going to happen in one short offseason.

My thoughts exactly. Akron does things to beat themselves. Penalties are an issue, they come at the worst times during good drives. So frustrating. And deflating. 

The offensive line, defensive backs and special teams are killing this team.  Areas to focus on in recruiting.

I really like Morehead's offense and playcalling.  

I taught little kids two rules the Zips haven't mastered.  One, do not field a punt inside the ten.  Plant your feet on the 10 and do not back up.  Two, nobody gets behind you if you are a DB.  Those types of things make me worry that the coaching staff is either not on top of communicating with the kids or that they're putting kids in positions they're not equipped to handle (e.g. a freshman fielding punts).

They gave a game away but an Arth team accomplishes nothing at halftime and gives up much earlier and loses by double digits.  This team at least kept fighting.  We have to accept the small victories when there's so far to come.

• Like 1

When Bowden became HC, he inherited a similarly depleted program his 4 year plan was Lose Big, Lose Small, Win Small, Win Big. 

In year 1 of JoeMo, we're already losing small - one to a team that is probably a year or two ahead of us, and one to a team that we beat ourselves more than they beat us. 

Through 5 weeks, the holes in this team are obvious. Special Teams, Offensive Line, and the entire Secondary. Zero concerns with that being solved via recruiting for next year and beyond, but what can be done to salvage this season with those groups? That will be interesting to follow. 

Love the offense and can't wait to see it ran with a more formidable offensive line. 

Beat OU.

• Like 1

Not gonna get too deep into this one yet, I’ll sleep on it. But some small notes off the top of my head. 

Akron is a bad football team. Upgraded from horrendous. Great! My concerns for this week ended up coming into focus. Lots of growing pains by a team and group that doesn’t know how to win. JoeMo put them in great position all game, just couldn’t execute. They played from behind from the opening kick, giving BG the ball at midfield. Overall, the D was bend but don’t break. They really only gave up 2 real TD drives if you take out the pick and the muffed punt. That’s a good sign. A couple too many huge plays though. Wish the DL would’ve come up with another couple of sacks. 

DJ was excellent for 80% of the game. Thing is, the other 20% or so was a bad fumble, bad pick, overthrow at the end, and a couple sacks. He’s a tough dude, I’m glad we have him. 

The team is more banged up than I thought. Grimes not dressed, Wiley must’ve been hurt, though Price was dynamite, Golden-Nelson not dressed. Bubba didn’t look the same. 

We went from last week saying “we could’ve won” to this week saying “we should’ve won.” 

The arrow is pointing upward, but Zips fans are rightfully tired of waiting. This team can win some games this year, they just have to learn how to eat their mistakes and bounce back. Beautiful day for some ball today though, and I’m looking forward to the challenge next week. Go Zips!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The offensive line, defensive backs and special teams are killing this team.  Areas to focus on in recruiting.

I taught little kids two rules the Zips haven't mastered.  One, do not field a punt inside the ten.  Plant your feet on the 10 and do not back up.  Two, nobody gets behind you if you are a DB.  Those types of things make me worry that the coaching staff is either not on top of communicating with the kids or that they're putting kids in positions they're not equipped to handle (e.g. a freshman fielding punts).

They gave a game away but an Arth team accomplishes nothing at halftime and gives up much earlier and loses by double digits.  This team at least kept fighting.  We have to accept the small victories when there's so far to come.

Was at the game. Frustrating. The offense was better with Irons being able to run. Had some nice yards ont he ground. I just thought Joe could have stuck with the ground game a little more. Irons still misses too many open receivers, still holds the ball a little too much. Had some drops too. Adams and Jacques-Louis are a nice combo.

But, defense and special teams were the killer. Couldn't cover kicks well. Terrible play, on the muffed punt at the end of the first half. KId was backing up inside his 5! WTH! Joe was so pissed he yelled at the special teams coach. Jacques-Louis did have a nice return again.

The defense was what it has been. Too many open receivers. Too many yards on the ground. Too many missed tackles.

Even with an improved offense I am afraid I don't see any conference wins unless the defense suddenly wakes up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Didn't Arth beat Bowling Green the last two years?

Did anyone else notice that DJ was out of breadth after his long run.  I really think that we should have taken a time out so he could have composed himself.  Every play after that long run was bad.  He fumbled a snap and then overthrew his receiver.

Two games in a row where we got pinned on our own 3 yard line and it cost us the game.  Despite that great kick return that was a great individual effort, our special teams were weak.  Every one of our punts was in the endzone and when they muffed a punt nobody was around to recover.

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

On the DB's, seems a couple of guys were running with their backs to the ball. They never located the ball and then drew interference calls because they ran into the receivers. Don't know who is responsible for teaching technique but they have to get their hips turned earlier and try to run WITH the receiver not behind. It was happening all day on crossing patterns and deep balls. They played hard,just not always effectively.

Edited by Lee Adams
Spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Until Moorhead gets a Power 5 and Bowl win don't compare him to Bowden

I would love to know what happened with Bowden's regime. Wins against Pitt and Northwestern, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl win, MAC Championship Game appearance, then the program just seemed to hit a brick wall and actually went backwards - quickly.

Regardless, I think the accomplishments Bowden had will be surpassed by Moorhead eventually.

• Like 1