Zips Football Media - Shows, Videos, Interviews and Podcasts

Captain Kangaroo

This is good crap right here. I believe in this guy. He’s a great coach, a great guy, and is committed to building this program. It’s an uphill battle with a program that has been down for so long but I think he can do it. We all want immediate results but it’s a process. Everyone needs to grab a friend and drag them to the games, change is coming! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a kick out of George stumbling over the program progress analogy..."First you win big, then lose small...or was it lose small, then win by a little? I think the Zips skipped a step, but I don't know which one...can you help me out, Joe? Is it starve a cold and feed a fever, or feed a fever, starve a cold?..." 🤣

7 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I got a kick out of George stumbling over the program progress analogy..."First you win big, then lose small...or was it lose small, then win by a little? I think the Zips skipped a step, but I don't know which one...can you help me out, Joe? Is it starve a cold and feed a fever, or feed a fever, starve a cold?..." 🤣

I got the feeling he wrote his interview questions expecting a win - then we would have skipped from losing big to winning small.  Other than that, he at least had plenty prepared to discuss.

17 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I got the feeling he wrote his interview questions expecting a win - then we would have skipped from losing big to winning small.  Other than that, he at least had plenty prepared to discuss.

What we can't see is the Block O in the top corner of his notepad that he "prepared" these questions on. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ohio Week Presser

Is it just me or are there times where Joe is so flabbergasted with George’s questions he’s unsure how to respond? 

George must not be watching the games if he doesn’t know which OL are entrenched. It’s clearly Whigan and Williams….despite what PFF thinks.

4 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Ohio Week Presser

I wondered what the true share of sacks from OL vs DJ holding the ball too long was, as it’s not uncommon to read posters saying he’s holding onto the ball too long. 3.5 for OL vs 2.5 for DJ last game.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:59 PM, LZIp said:

I wondered what the true share of sacks from OL vs DJ holding the ball too long was, as it’s not uncommon to read posters saying he’s holding onto the ball too long. 3.5 for OL vs 2.5 for DJ last game.

What about Banes?

43 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

My favorite quote “We’re out of the redshirting business.”

Looking at the highlights it’s impressive how far along this team has come from last year. We’re close. Maybe this week will be the week?

Just watched it. He said the days of Akron football rolling into town, or teams coming into Akron and expecting and getting an easy blowout are over. "Not on our watch."

And the redshirting comment. This guy gets it! He doesn't mince words and actually gives interesting commentary just about every time he's in front of a microphone. My confidence in this staff grows by the day.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pdt1420 said:

Crazy that we love the sound of him, and the SEC media hated him. Just a different expectation and regional dialect I suppose. Their loss is our gain. 

Great point. I have thought a lot in the past couple of years with all of our losing, just how much nicer it is to be a fan of a Mid-Major as compared to a P5. As a G5, you can lose like Akron has, and still have hope every year of at least fighting for a bowl game or trip to Detroit as there are different levels of rewards. If you’re in the SEC? Unless you’re Vandy, you are in a hopeless race year after year just hoping that maybe you can get lucky one time to even sniff the CFP. Doesn’t sound like much fun to me. But to each his/her own. 

6 hours ago, pdt1420 said:

Crazy that we love the sound of him, and the SEC media hated him. Just a different expectation and regional dialect I suppose. Their loss is our gain. 

I don’t know if the SEC media hated him. From the sounds of it, he did not have full control over who was on his staff. That will never work out.

https://www.facebook.com/AkronZips/videos/447346677262932

Good info from Moorhead in this on recruiting. Says he looks to keep half the class high school and half transfers (at least right now). He expects 25 total openings, while mentioning up to 32.  This tells me to expect very few additional HS commits and to expect another 10+ players to transfer out, considering we only have something like 12 scholarship seniors. I think that's a smart move for this year. There are some scholly guys who aren't contributing multiple years into their career, so likely won't ever, and I don't see a ton in the way of younger guys who are ready to step up and fill spots of those seniors graduating.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

https://www.facebook.com/AkronZips/videos/447346677262932

Good info from Moorhead in this on recruiting. Says he looks to keep half the class high school and half transfers (at least right now). He expects 25 total openings, while mentioning up to 32.  This tells me to expect very few additional HS commits and to expect another 10+ players to transfer out, considering we only have something like 12 scholarship seniors. I think that's a smart move for this year. There are some scholly guys who aren't contributing multiple years into their career, so likely won't ever, and I don't see a ton in the way of younger guys who are ready to step up and fill spots of those seniors graduating.

I was a little taken aback by his response. We know 15 players are committed, so either Joe misspoke about the numbers or 3 of the players’ offers are not being honored. The second part I’m confused about is I thought for 2023 and 2024 FBS schools could sign as many players as they wanted as long as they were at the 85 scholarship limit for the start of the reason. Maybe that does not kick in until 2024? Joe said we could take up to 32, which was the case for the 2022 class, so IDK at this point. 

Great info about how the classes will be structured. As I figured, the thread about outstanding offers is pretty much useless at this point, haha. But who knows, maybe we get 1 or 2 more of those guys?

I can’t wait to see the caliber of players the staff brings in from the portal in year 2. Home runs this year with Harper, Jones, SJL, Adams, George, and Whigan. Thomas and Thompson have been steadily improving. And we’ve seen some good things out of Golden-Nelson, Terry, Banes, Wiley, Banks, Price, Fish. That’s a pretty high batting average and leads me to believe the 2023 transfer class will be as good or better.

Edited by catdaddyp