Game # 6: @ Ohio Bobcats

LoyalZIP

I didn't watch the game, as I was at the marathon that was the Guardians game (my 3 year old daughter lasted all 15 innings, which included a nap in her seat from the bottom of the 7th until the 10th inning; trooper, and she set the bar high for her baby sister). 

Obviously the defense was the problem today, and has been a bit of an issue in general. Anybody with insider information know why Toth left for Air Force? Tibesar's track record is underwhelming, and I'm wondering if a change at DC will take place under JoeMo at some point since Tibesar wasn't the first choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

This thread can use a biblical reference.

Ye shall reap the seeds you sow.

I noticed at the time that the new staff was a lot more concerned with the offense (which didn't seem surprising given Joe's background).

Hopefully they can even things out this recruiting season.

So when will Akron stop sowing crabgrass!

18 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

Emphatically yes.

He has found something offensively. But, as I said before if Irons has to throw the ball more than about 30 times it means Akron is chasing points. That takes him away from being able to use his legs to keep a defense honest. And, it limits the use of the RB's. Right now the offense is more than compettitive. They put up 30+. They have a decent QB, two top notch receivers and a couple of good RB's. Shoulda been enough to at least be in it in the 4th Q!

Unfortunately, on the other side there are guys masquerading as DB's,DL's and LB's. Halloween IS coming. Giving up big play after big play. No pressure. WR's running wide open in the secondary. The problem isn't about just one or two players. Its a system wide problem. That D gave up a half hundred + yesterday! At this point in the season if coverages are still getting blown, and there is little or no pressure on the opposing QB, the defensive coaches aren't getting players into favorable positions. I think Joe is going to have to take a hard look not only at the players talent level on the D side, but also on the coaching side. Probably won't improve much this season. Too bad they are wasting an improved offense.

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

He has found something offensively. But, as I said before if Irons has to throw the ball more than about 30 times it means Akron is chasing points. That takes him away from being able to use his legs to keep a defense honest. And, it limits the use of the RB's. Right now the offense is more than compettitive. They put up 30+. They have a decent QB, two top notch receivers and a couple of good RB's. Shoulda been enough to at least be in it in the 4th Q!

Unfortunately, on the other side there are guys masquerading as DB's,DL's and LB's. Halloween IS coming. Giving up big play after big play. No pressure. WR's running wide open in the secondary. The problem isn't about just one or two players. Its a system wide problem. That D gave up a half hundred + yesterday! At this point in the season if coverages are still getting blown, and there is little or no pressure on the opposing QB, the defensive coaches aren't getting players into favorable positions. I think Joe is going to have to take a hard look not only at the players talent level on the D side, but also on the coaching side. Probably won't improve much this season. Too bad they are wasting an improved offense.

I'm afraid that given the results and the transfer portal culture, that the staff's biggest off-season challenge is going to be convincing the better talent like Irons to stick around.

I imagine the coaching staff will be scouring the transfer portal for P5 DEs and LBs this off-season.
This staff has vastly upgraded talent but it doesn’t seem to be gelling or as evident on the D side as the offensive side. That said, even they have had some good moments. It’s like they have a lot of good pieces but they haven’t fit them together.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Was Wiley injured? Noticed he has no Carrie’s while Price and Norris did. Didn’t notice him in the game, but also wasn’t paying as close attention as normal.

Not sure about his injury status, but he was not in on any offensive snaps. If he played on ST, I didn’t notice.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

I imagine the coaching staff will be scouring the transfer portal for P5 DEs and LBs this off-season.
This staff has vastly upgraded talent but it doesn’t seem to be gelling or as evident on the D side as the offensive side. That said, even they have had some good moments. It’s like they have a lot of good pieces but they haven’t fit them together.

Sounds like the plan is to bring in around 12-15 portal guys. I expect a heavy portion of them will be on the defensive side of the ball.

3 hours ago, GJGood said:

Here's hoping they also look for some DBs.

19 hours ago, GJGood said:

Somebody has gotta coach 'em up.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm afraid that given the results and the transfer portal culture, that the staff's biggest off-season challenge is going to be convincing the better talent like Irons to stick around.

I'm assuming DJI has a good relationship with JoeMo and will stick around.  My main concern is that being from Georgia he could wish to be closer to home and there are a lot of options in the Sun Belt and even the possibility of following Gibson to Ga. Tech.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'm assuming DJI has a good relationship with JoeMo and will stick around.  My main concern is that being from Georgia he could wish to be closer to home and there are a lot of options in the Sun Belt and even the possibility of following Gibson to Ga. Tech.

I think Akron can do better than DJI

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

We're to the halfway mark in the season and Gibson has only thrown 2 passes all season. I can't imagine to many ~21 year olds are eager to transfer places just to ride the bench.

Edited by kreed5120

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We're to the halfway mark in the season and Gibson has only thrown 2 passes all season. I can't imagine to many ~21 year olds are eager to transfer places just to ride the bench.

I was actually watching the game this past Saturday where he was put in. The starter got hurt during OT and they put in Gibson. He immediately jumped while throwing the ball like he did here a couple times. Left a terrible coaching staff to join another, and they won!

5 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I think Akron can do better than DJI

Check the stats. DJ has the 2nd highest completion % in the MAC and 4th most passing yards. With 2 pay day games and missing 1/2 of one of those games, that's pretty impressive. If he didn't miss that half vs MSU, he'd most likely be 2nd in MAC in passing yards. None of the above even considers his running ability.

He is a MAC POY candidate next year and has strong potential for all conference recognition this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Check the stats. DJ has the 2nd highest completion % in the MAC and 4th most passing yards. With 2 pay day games and missing 1/2 of one of those games, that's pretty impressive. If he didn't miss that half vs MSU, he'd most likely be 2nd in MAC in passing yards. None of the above even considers his running ability.

He is a MAC POY candidate next year and has strong potential for all conference recognition this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Did you see the last play against BGSU?