Game # 6: @ Ohio Bobcats

LoyalZIP

Looking at the stats,for whatever you think that is worth, one would think OU has a distinct advantage on the offensive side. Defensively OU doesn't look great but it looks like they can put up enough points to win. So, unless the Zips take a big step on the defensive side a win in Athens doen't look likely. Looks like Rourke is the main cog. But, it looks like they can also run effectively.. Unless the Zips can put up a lot of points like 30+ hard to see a win. 

Just keep getting better.

In 2021, the Akron Zips followed up a disappointing homecoming loss to Ohio with an improbable road blowout of Bowling Green in week 6. This time, the Zips were oh-so-close to starting MAC play undefeated before a trip into hostile territory down in the hills of southeast Ohio. 

In 2021, the Akron Zips defeated Bowling Green (also in week 6) for the second consecutive season, doing that for the first time since 2005-2006.

The Akron Zips last won in Athens on November 13, 2004 by a final score of 31-19 on the backs of big touchdowns coming from a Dwayne Lefall pick-six and Charlie Frye to Johnny Long connection to seal the deal late in the 4th quarter. At kickoff tomorrow, the Zips will take the field looking for their first win in Athens in 6,538 days. Ha, Akron won at Marshall by a 65-38 final in 2016. 

Ohio leads the all-time series 24-13-1. 

All of this is to say the Akron football is to Ohio football what Bowling Green basketball is to Akron basketball. A little brother that can never seem to win the matchup, not very often at least. With that said, this is the best I've felt about an Akron trip to OU in a while. 2018 was a lame-duck game, 2016 was the Tyrell Goodman game (that UA should've won), I would say 2014 was the last time I expected a win here. Akron was a 3-point road favorite in that ball game, I believe Tommy Woodson's first start, after Kyle Pohl's head was buried in the turf by Miami's Bryson Albright at the end of the first half the week before. This is where that season went south, and it was a catastrophic failure, ending with a horrid loss to a horrid Kent team. 

ANYWAY. In 2012, Akron went into Athens as an 18-point dog on homecoming and had a comeback effort fall short, 34-28. Ohio has won a game just about any way you can win a game over the last 15 seasons in this matchup. I expect them to come out on top again, but I think I would take the Zips +11 in this one. Joe has been very clear about his feelings of the program, and his expectations of the program. Across the board, you can see the improvement. While there are still far too many outliers when it comes to big mistakes and some big plays on defense, it's safe to say these are no longer the John Carroll Zips. Ohio on homecoming is a very hostile environment, probably the best environment in MAC football that isn't 2016 WMU for College Gameday. I wish I could be in that locker room for the pregame speech, you can really start to see it in Joe's eye and hear it in his voice that he's fired up about turning this thing around. Hopefully some of the banged-up guys are good to go, we need all hands on deck to pull of this historic win. And I'm very curious to see how the Zips open this one up, I have a feeling they get over that hump this week. Joe emphasized that in his media availability this week, needing the captains to help the guys loosen up early in the proceedings so maybe we can see them play with the lead.

It feels good to have expectations again! In Joe We Trust! Go Zips!!!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We've lost 13 of our last 14 games -v- Ohio 😬

My two memories of our last win vs OU - at the Rubber Bowl, gonna guess 2008.. student section stormed the field (why? I'll never know). But all 100 of us did. And more entertaining, our punt returner called for a fair catch right in front of the student section, OUs guy didn't see the fair catch signal, completely obliterates him, runs in front of the student section taunting us and doing the airplane celebration while about a million flags are flying behind him and he gets ejected. Good times at the RB

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If the Zips win in the turnover column, they win the game. If they tie, they lose a close one.

For each turnover the Zips are behind at the game's conclusion, the Zips lose by a factor of 7 points.

Ohio's talent isn't markedly better that what the Zips will field on Saturday. It would be fun to see us play a clean game, and start the winning process.

Zips 31-30

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

here it is, November 7, 2007

4th and 11 at OHIO49SCHULTE, Matt punt 36 yards to the AKRON15, fair catch by JONES, Andre, PENALTY OHIO kick catching interference 15 yards to the AKRON30, 1st and 10, AKRON ball on AKRON30.

https://gozips.com/sports/football/stats/2007/ohio/boxscore/620

Andre Jones was a weapon on Special Teams. A month and 1 day prior to this, he was part of the Miracle at the Zoo and one of the greatest French calls of all time. 

Because it's Guardians playoff day, this was also a day or 2 after the infamous Bug Game vs the Yankees in the 2007 ALDS. 

Go Zips & Guardians!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Andre Jones was a weapon on Special Teams. A month and 1 day prior to this, he was part of the Miracle at the Zoo and one of the greatest French calls of all time. 

Because it's Guardians playoff day, this was also a day or 2 after the infamous Bug Game vs the Yankees in the 2007 ALDS. 

Go Zips & Guardians!

Never gets old! There is a call that's a bit longer in a 2007 Zips football highlight video floating around YouTube. I remember watching the game on some kind of potato-quality stream on a laptop that had a plug-in wireless USB internet connection, while having the radio on in the background. WMU took a safety at their own goal line to avoid punting to Andre on a short field. And the safety kick actually rolled by Alphonso Owen before he picked it up and the magic happened. Truly one of the greatest moments in all of college football history, that hardly anybody saw and anyone knows about.

It's still one of the biggest "win probability" swings of all-time, and it makes its appearance on ESPN graphics from time to time.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:14 PM, LoyalZIP said:

Love it. I wonder if we’ll see them this year, I was under the impression that we just had the golf and white. 

Does anyone have any inside info on these helmets? Are these just a concept for next year or will they wear them this week/year?

2 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Does anyone have any inside info on these helmets? Are these just a concept for next year or will they wear them this week/year?

No idea, but man are they gorgeous!  Even if we don't get them this year they're obviously on Guthrie's To Do List, so hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Like 1