ZTV Sports 2010 Mini Documentary

So far in the young athletic season, ZTV sports has really stepped up their student-run UA athletics content. In the final segment of each episode, they're spotlighting classic Zip moments. In the latest edition, they talk to Jared about the 2010 experience. While old news to many, I still love to re-live that moment in time any chance I get. And every time I do, I get more and more hungry to see the program do it again.

I linked for the video to start at the final segment, but I would encourage you to watch the whole episode so the folks over at ZTV can see that we're enjoying the good content!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @LoyalZIP and ZTV. Love the story about the linesman [corrected] walking off during the Cal game. That's the first time I've heard one of the coaches tell the story. Worth listening for that story and the story about preparing for and playing Louisville in the title game.

MANY THANKS for posting that. 12 years later, and I still tear up watching and re-living the Zips Mens Soccer 2010 National Championship experience as well as the 2009 season, knowing how GREAT that team was!

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting that. I had never heard the story about the 4th official walking off. That game was COLD. Sounds like the official was looking to get to warmth but the Akron bench was too hot. Haha. 

Also, love hearing Embick mention that Lola didn't think he could win a Natty here. Someone correct me, but have we ever lost to Lola? Obviously we beat him in 2010, and again during one of the 3 Final Four trips we've made under Embick. Any other encounters? 

One thing I was disappointed to not see included was the flurry at the end of the National Championship game. THAT was some of the most chaotic soccer I've ever seen. Would've loved to have heard Embick's thoughts and what the coaches were thinking as Meves was making a toe save after Valentin(?) cleared the ball off the line.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

One thing I was disappointed to not see included was the flurry at the end of the National Championship game. THAT was some of the most chaotic soccer I've ever seen. Would've loved to have heard Embick's thoughts and what the coaches were thinking as Meves was making a toe save after Valentin(?) cleared the ball off the line.

Chad Barson cleared the ball off the line via his shin, but the ESPN announcer mistakenly said looked like Valentin. As I recall, the barrage occurred for what seemed like an eternity of about 1 minute from 88:29 to 89:28.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My story of the NCAA title College Cup features walking from the tournament HQ hotel -- which I THOUGHT was where the team was staying -- nearly a mile down Hwy 1 in Santa Barbara to the Fess Parker Inn (IIRC) which was the ACTUAL team hotel.  I walked into the lobby, expecting a raucous party atmosphere and found what appeared like the aftermath of a family reunion -- winning the championship was so emotionally emptying apparently that all the players and families were just lounging around waiting for the bus to arrive to take them to LAX!  I thought about grabbing the trophy and running out the side door, but the team's discipline wore off one and I refrained!  Meanwhile, my friend who had the car had left with his college roommate for the roommate's house in Montecito, so I ended up having to take a cab back to the motel in Goleta where we were staying -- which cost me a cool $55 charge.  BUT, before I could depart I had to look for the boys room, and while wandering the hall behind the main lobby I opened a door to what turned out to be the party room, and low and behold there was the Louisville Cardinals team and traveling "party", living it up with the band I recall and cheerleaders -- acting just as if it were THEY who had won the College Cup, rather than the triumphantly laid back group out in the lobby.  That difference in reactions spoke a ton to me about the difference in cultures between the two final programs. There's no way Caleb Porter's team could have celebrated a title game defeat, but Ken Lolla's sure as heck was!  How many titles has Louisville won?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...