Game 7 Thoughts

catdaddyp

Tough loss today. This team is so close, but just can’t quite get over the hump. That time is coming though. 

I really enjoyed the game day experience. The crowd seemed invested in the game and desperately wanted a win. If InfoCision gets even 75% full, it’ll be a serious home field advantage. The band is excellent, the sound system certainly works, and the cheerleaders/dance team were cohesive. Everything is in place, now the football team needs to win and get butts in the seats.

Offense:

- It’s like musical chairs on the OL at this point. Gray, Daniels, and Lyons are hurt. Whigan and Banes were hurt at some point during the game. Not sure why Landers didn’t play, but Chambers got the start at LT. Robarge and Beckman filled at the guard spots when Whigan and Banes went out. I thought I saw Kilbane play some snaps at C but it was mostly Georges there.
- Pass protection was ok, but could have been better. I thought DJI was the cause of a few of those sacks and not the OL. Run blocking is still a struggle. 
- SJL consistently created separation. Caleb Anderson is a tough matchup that we should continue to take advantage of near the goalline. It’s unfortunate his TD catch did not count.

- I thought it was a well called game and we definitely left some plays out there that should have been made.

Defense:

- I’m not sure why the staff hasn’t narrowed down the linebackers to Bubba, McCoy, and Terry. When those 3 aren’t out there in some capacity bad things happen. Fish will eventually be there, but he still looks lost at times.

- Great to see Bubba get a free run at a sack today. He was a tackling machine.

- Thompson was MIA and replaced by Woods, who wasn’t great, but was solid.

- Hooks started, but I don’t recall seeing him in the 2nd half. Amankwaa was solid in the passing game at CB, but struggled against the run. Off the top of my head I recall 3 edge busts by him. However, it was good to see him cover well.

- Richardson played the most he has all year, but I don’t recall him making much of an impact.
- We still struggle to get much of a pass rush.

I know there is probably some frustration and apathy building, but it’s easy to see this program is close to turning a corner. CMU is built differently than the other MAC opponents we’ve played, so today’s game brought a different set of challenges for this team. Despite the loss, I left feeling even more confident about the turn around that is surely coming. I don’t know how many wins we finish with this year as our chances are becoming fewer, but another recruiting class and offseason with this staff is exciting to think about. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent as always. Thanks @catdaddypand glad you enjoyed the game. It sure was a great day at the yard, and would’ve been perfect with a win!

Maybe more thoughts from me tomorrow, but I really don’t want to have to think about this one too much more. Bottom line is, if DJ & Price complete the transfer one way or another, the talk of this game isn’t about mistakes, bad running game, losing on top of losing, etc. Like other posters say, the margin for error when you lack talent is razor thin. With that said, DJ stepped up and made some big throws today. Took far too many sacks, with the pass blocking taking a step back due to personnel issues, and CMU has a hell of a defense. After all, Ball State was 0-13 on 3rd downs against them last week. And Ball State is far better than Akron. Defensively, more bend-don’t-break, with just a bit too much break. The Bubba blitz was awesome though, a big time play I want to see more of. And they were so close to getting a big fumble recovery on the sack on the CMU drive after Akron tied it. Once again by Morton. If the Zips recover that, again we may be having a whole different discussion. The room for error is so damn thin, it’s amazing to think about and to watch every week. Damn it. 

So here we are. 1-6, 0-3 in the league. Lost 3 of the last 4 by single digits, had two straight home losses by a score while having the ball with a chance to win in the dying minutes. The Zips have comfortably graduated to “bad” on the college football spectrum. As much as I grew to resent everything about the Bowden experience, Joe quoted him today on the lose big—> win big thing. And his teams never consistently followed that mold and I find it to be kind of a silly philosophy. However, while many folks had higher expectations for this team in 2022, I really like the steps being taken. Though I just had to step back and laugh at that unbelievable way to lose today, I don’t feel apathy. I’m absolutely fired up. I can understand how some posters and Zips fans are upset and disappointed and checked out. But I’ve had a lot of fun watching the last handful of Akron games, which is far more than I could say the last few years. 

It will be an interesting week at practice. I’m not sure there can be a more hungry group of student athletes after what these guys have been through. What better time to put it all together and come out on top? You never know. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On D, I liked what I saw of Bubba, Lewis, Amankwaa (in coverage, he did a good job shutting down CMU's best WR), and Woods. Woods was in on some plays and didn't get beat. No drop off at all in his first start compared to the other safeties that were out.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, catdaddyp said:

Tough loss today. This team is so close, but just can’t quite get over the hump. That time is coming though. 

I really enjoyed the game day experience. The crowd seemed invested in the game and desperately wanted a win. If InfoCision gets even 75% full, it’ll be a serious home field advantage. The band is excellent, the sound system certainly works, and the cheerleaders/dance team were cohesive. Everything is in place, now the football team needs to win and get butts in the seats.

Offense:

- It’s like musical chairs on the OL at this point. Gray, Daniels, and Lyons are hurt. Whigan and Banes were hurt at some point during the game. Not sure why Landers didn’t play, but Chambers got the start at LT. Robarge and Beckman filled at the guard spots when Whigan and Banes went out. I thought I saw Kilbane play some snaps at C but it was mostly Georges there.
- Pass protection was ok, but could have been better. I thought DJI was the cause of a few of those sacks and not the OL. Run blocking is still a struggle. 
- SJL consistently created separation. Caleb Anderson is a tough matchup that we should continue to take advantage of near the goalline. It’s unfortunate his TD catch did not count.

- I thought it was a well called game and we definitely left some plays out there that should have been made.

Defense:

- I’m not sure why the staff hasn’t narrowed down the linebackers to Bubba, McCoy, and Terry. When those 3 aren’t out there in some capacity bad things happen. Fish will eventually be there, but he still looks lost at times.

- Great to see Bubba get a free run at a sack today. He was a tackling machine.

- Thompson was MIA and replaced by Woods, who wasn’t great, but was solid.

- Hooks started, but I don’t recall seeing him in the 2nd half. Amankwaa was solid in the passing game at CB, but struggled against the run. Off the top of my head I recall 3 edge busts by him. However, it was good to see him cover well.

- Richardson played the most he has all year, but I don’t recall him making much of an impact.
- We still struggle to get much of a pass rush.

I know there is probably some frustration and apathy building, but it’s easy to see this program is close to turning a corner. CMU is built differently than the other MAC opponents we’ve played, so today’s game brought a different set of challenges for this team. Despite the loss, I left feeling even more confident about the turn around that is surely coming. I don’t know how many wins we finish with this year as our chances are becoming fewer, but another recruiting class and offseason with this staff is exciting to think about. 

Rewatched the game and really focused on the defense. I was wrong about Amankwaa and the edge busts. He only had 1, which led to a TD run. The other busts were by Durant, Lewis, and Terry but weren’t TDs. Amankwaa was actually really good besides that one play. Best performance by a DB to date I’d say.

We hurt ourselves a few times against the run when our DT’s decided to “get skinny” in an attempt to make the play, instead of holding their ground against the double team. It then opened up big gaps and allowed the OL to get to the second level. If they are going to split the double teams, they must make the play, otherwise it leaves the rest of the defense hanging out to dry.

Really impressive footwork by CMU’s RBs.

Bubba probably had his best game of the year. The other LBs were active and filled better than any other time this season. Unfortunately, there were more missed tackles than there should have been.

Martin probably had his best game of the year. He only had one poor run fit which led to a big run. Besides that, he was solid in pass coverage and the most physical I’ve seen him in run support.

Woods missed a couple tackles and nearly hurt himself leading with his head down on one play,  but was a pleasant surprise outside of that.

Our DTs did not get much pass rush and our DEs struggled to beat the OTs one on one. We gave up a TD when we brought 5 and then Bubba thought the RB was staying in to block so he came too, which made 6. The QB managed to get the ball out to the RB and away he went. Not getting a consistent pass rush, even when blitzing, is hurting us. Teams that base out of the 4-2-5 usually expect the front four to create pressure by themselves and that definitely is not happening.

I don’t know if there is a fix to the pass rush this year, especially if the guys playing are the best we have on the roster. I like the blitzes we run and our players have gotten better at disguising them as the season has progressed, but we get beat (often badly) when we don’t get to the QB.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree Amankwaa really stood out. I hope he stays healthy the remainder of the year...we really need a capable corner.

I mentioned it after the BG game, and it bears mentioning again...this Zips team reminds me of the old Kent teams that consistently made one or two bizarre mistakes that cost them a game week-in-week-out. The botched exchange between Price and Irons was definitely a tip of the cap to those bygone Kent teams. Seeing that ball laying in the turf, and Irons and Price are running towards the endzone...it's as exasperating today as it was on Saturday.

Irons has had a couple chances this season to lead the Zips to 4th quarter comebacks, and each time the offense has fizzled. Somehow that's got to change.

Unlike some, I don't see the rest of the season being a lost cause.

• Kent is 2-5, and playing poorly
  • Miami just put up a whopping 13 points in a loss to mighty Bowling Green
  • EMU just put up 10 points in a 29-point loss to NIU

Buffalo and NIU will be tough. But those next 3 games for the Zips are winnable, if we can eliminate those bizarre, perplexing, improbable mistakes that have become the 2022 Zips calling card.

I'm so incredibly grateful Joe Moorhead decided to take on the challenge of building a Zips football program. He's not some retread living off his past and milking the University for a few more nice paydays. He's not a young, unproven coach that has no clue what is needed to be successful at the G5 level. He's a proven D1 head coach, proven elite offensive coordinator, and a guy that, for some stupid reason, believes in the potential of Akron Football as much as us fans do. He's here for the long haul, and he'll get the job done. Within 2-3 years we will be at the top of the MAC, with a sustainable program that will continue at that level for years to come.

Robert Irvine fixes failing restaurants in one day...it isn't so easy with a dilapidated, neglected 85 scholarship football program.

Looking forward to the Kent game. Unlike last season, where the players tanked and the game was over before the halftime show began, it should be a competitive war.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2