Game # 8: @ Can't State

ZippyRulz

Both head coaches place a ton of value on winning the rivalry game. This one will be intense. A few weeks ago, Kent bought a billboard that overlooks Infocision over at the 76-77 interchange. I found it funny, as this is the same athletic department who had a profane locker room diss track video leak, which preceded a 20-point loss in the MAC basketball championship game. You would think something like that would help you realize it's best to focus on yourself instead of being obsessed with your underdog rival, much like a young, stupid child would. 

A win here for the Zips would be up there with the sweetest of victories over Kent in the history of the program. Gonna be a fun morning over at the Dix Dump.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Anyone have an inside track on discounted game tickets? I'd hate to give KSU $40 for two tix if I can avoid it. 🙂

I've been to 30 or so games at Dix Stadium and have never had to pay face value for a ticket.  If you stand near the ticket booth long enough, someone will approach you will a free or deeply discounted ticket.  I've had similar experiences at InfoCision.

48 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Anyone have an inside track on discounted game tickets? I'd hate to give KSU $40 for two tix if I can avoid it. 🙂

I'd pay more than that for two tickets to the circus. It's a cheap price for the clown show that is Kent State. 

• Haha 1

I can tell ZN.o isn't really expecting a win; there's not a lot of activity on this board for the big game. Watch for the KSUcks game thread two years from now (after we beat KSUcks next year), there will be a ton of pregame chatter.

Sean Lewis is going to have Kent coming out sky high & try to punch us in the mouth asap & run up the score. Hopefully we can weather the early storm & not let Kent dictate the tempo & momentum of the game. Like JoeMo has said previously, we want to look up in the 4th Q & have a chance to win the game.  Our D is going to have to be at the top of their game.

I personally am not trying to get too worked up too early in the week @Blue & Gold 😂

This one is an interesting matchup. Both head coaches are considered offensive geniuses in very different ways. JoeMo is far more tactical, while Lewis' offense is much more simple and plays up tempo. This is not the Kent offense of the last 2 seasons, but it's still one of the best in the league. Schlee is an above average MAC QB. He's no Dustin Crum and has not mastered that system yet, but he is a formidable opponent. RB Marquez Cooper is the real X-factor, as in the RPO-up-tempo offense, he is a lightning quick runner who is also very strong and can break some tackles at the second level. I may take a shot to predict Akron to win, but this offense vs. our defense is something I am having trouble talking myself into.

With that said, on paper in MAC play, these teams aren't so far apart. 

Scoring Offense in MAC play: AKRON--27.7ppg KENT--28.7ppg

Scoring Defense in MAC play: AKRON--38ppg KENT--34.3ppg

Each team has played a pair of one-score games and has a 21-point loss. Kent racked up 700+ yards, but fumbled 5 times in a 31-24 OT win over Ohio, they had a comeback fall short at Miami to lose 27-24, and they blew a 21-0 lead 5 minutes into the game, to be outscored 52-10 the final 55 minutes. Pretty wild number right there.

DJ Irons, who is apparently better suited as a RB, is currently 2nd in the MAC in passing offense, averaging 299ypg, completing at a 70% clip. He is also the most sacked QB in the league, which is compounded by both his tendency to hold the ball a second too long, and the offensive line being inconsistent, and now really banged up. I'm very worried about how this game could look if we don't get a couple of those guys back.

Considering these team's respective offenses, from QB, to RB (clear advantage to Kent, but I like Price), to WR, there's quite a bit of skill to go around. Dante Cephas is one of the better receivers in the country, and Devontez Walker has come along nicely for them. Akron's three-headed transfer monster may actually have the upper hand at this position, especially when you throw in Brank and Banks who were used beautifully on Saturday. It really is a damn shame that the fumble happened and they blew that chance, because the 2nd half offense was a thing of beauty.

Both coaches hate the other team. It feels good to say that again. Tom Arth famously considered Kent just another game on the schedule, and didn't even like to use the word rivalry. Joe Dunn has now said a couple of times and I tend to agree--it's almost a blessing that Kent is up next on the schedule after a disastrous loss like that. It's something to shift your focus and emotion to instead of dwelling on the past week. Maybe he's wrong, but it makes sense to me. And when we watch the Joe Moorhead Akron Football Dynasty Documentary™ in 20 years that details how he made Akron into a G5 power (you never know 😂), what better way to pick up your first FBS win, first MAC win, and truly kick start a winning-not-losing culture than to roll into the Dicks Dump out in the sticks as huge underdogs with not a soul in the country believing you, and coming out of there with the Wagon Wheel back in your possession? It's a picture-perfect storybook entry into this awesome rivalry, but maybe it's just too early in this process and too good to be true. We'll have to wait to see. Either way, I'm looking forward to some morning beers before the sun rises over there in Portage County, and I can't wait to watch this football program that I love play another game. Go Zips!!!!!

• Like 4

My fear in this game is that KSwho gets that crazy offense cranked up early and Akron has to start chasing points. Its the same story, the defensive line and linebackers can't continue to give up big chunks on the ground as they did last week. CMU exploited the left side of the Akron defense on the ground quite easily. If the secondary can play with the same improvement it showed last week, the defense might have a chance to slow down the KSwho offense.

Still think, Joe is going to have to give the ball to his RB's much more to help out the O-line and take some wear and tear off Irons. I would imagine that at least initially, KSwho is going to get after Irons and disregard the run. Can'ts defense is weak so don't let them do one thing only. Make them defend everything and hit some big plays. Akron has enough talent at WR and RB to make the Can't defense make mistakes.

2 hours ago, ziptrumpet87 said:

Maybe the injured OL were held out last week to hopefully be ready for this week? Last week's opponent was "less important" than this week, especially in year 1 of JoeMo.

May be, but Whigan and Banes going down against CMU wasn't ideal. Hope they can go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Woooooooooooooahhhhh buddy the goosebumps from this hype video featuring the guys at the Rubber Bowl!!!!!! I remember the 2017 team intro video was filmed there, so damn cool! GO ZIPS!!!!

JoeMo gets it. This is a diss track with class. 

Beat Porta-potty Community College. 

• Like 1

I know that hope is a dangerous thing with Akron football, but I have felt since the Liberty game that this was the game where the Zips would start winning a close game instead of losing a close one.  Last week was as close a loss as you can get, and I really do believe in these coaches and players to start turning things around here.  

Saturday is my birthday and I'm looking forward to a big gift-wrapped W from the football team delivered in Kent.

• Like 2